While American Express is an advertising partner of HustlerMoneyBlog, the opinions and beliefs in this article are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a leading cash back credit card that ranks at the top of the list. Families or anyone who mostly spend on everyday essentials like groceries, gas, home goods, and clothes will love this card. You’ll get cash back without having to make any extra effort but by simply using your card. It also comes with a welcome offer and special cash back on travel to warmly welcome its new members.
$150 Statement Credit
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers the chance to earn $150 back in statement credits after spending $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. This spending requirement should be easily satisfied if you use this card as your primary card for most of your purchases.
Unrivaled 6% Cash Back Rewards
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express has unrivaled cash back reward categories that makes it a favorite among practical consumers and critical analysts alike. Getting rewarded back on everyday spending also means savings that add up every time you use your card. Cash back rewards and bonuses earned will be in the form of statement credits.
- Limited Time Offer – 10% Cash Back by signing up for a new card membership by 5/3/2017 and earn up to 10% cash back at U.S. restaurants up to $200 cash back!
- 6% Cash Back can be earned at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases and then receive 1% after. Reaching the $6,000 maximum amount alone totals $360 cash back within the year and doesn’t include how much it is yet to be earned on all other purchases. Major discount superstores and wholesale clubs like Walmart, Target, Sam’s and Costco are unfortunately not included.
- 3% Cash Back can be earned at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores. This bonus category is not capped at any amount, therefore, the earning power is also unlimited. Macy’s, J.C. Penney’s, Kohls, Neiman Marcus, and Sears are just a few examples of department stores that not only sell clothing, shoes, and accessories but also a variety of home goods, electronics, and furniture where a 3% return can really add up.
- 1% Cash Back will be earned on other purchases and also does not have any amount limits.
Blue Cash Preferred Breakdown of Fees
This unrivaled Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express cash back rewards cards has a few fees that can be broken down to compare for pros and cons. Below are a few fees to make note of that can sneak up if you’re unaware with your spending transactions.
- 3% Balance Transfer Fee($5 Minimum) – There is a balance transfer fee of the greater of $5 or 3% of the each balance transfer. Be sure to calculate where the most savings will be before requesting a balance transfer.
- 2.7% Foreign Transaction Fee – Although less than the average foreign transaction fee of 3%, this fee will be charged for each purchase made outside the U.S. and may be best to use another card when making purchases outside the U.S since.
- $75 Annual Fee – The Blue Cash Preferred comes with a $95 annual fee. If you take advantage of the 6% and 3% cash back bonus categories where your total cash back reward each year is more than the $95 annual fee, then it’s well worth it. Recall that if you reach the 6% bonus category maximum of $6,000 at US supermarkets each year, you will earn $360 in cash back rewards which more than covers the annual fee.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express comes with a mix of standout benefits that will protect your purchases, safeguard and help when you need it most, and also connect you to fun and entertainment. Some restrictions do apply with each benefit.
- Purchase Protection – Get an extra level of protection with purchase protection, extended warranty, return protection, and dispute resolution. If the manufacturers, retailers or service providers of your purchases are not able to assist you, it’s possible your card may be able to handle it. Take advantage of AmEx Offers for special discount offers by spending a set amount for statement credit back.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance – Use your card for your car rental and be covered if it becomes damaged or stolen. Be sure to decline the collision damage waiver when picking up the car.
- Roadside Assistance Hotline – Having car trouble is always a major inconvenience and is distressing. If you ever become stranded, rely on Roadside Assistance Hotline for emergency services including towing, repairing a flat tire, battery charges to get back on the road and your normal routine.
- Global Assist Hotline – At times unanticipated circumstances may arise while traveling or you may have just have questions about where you’re traveling to. Global Assist Hotline is available to help whether the situation is urgent like locating medical help or minor like finding the nearest ATM that accepts American Express.
- Travel Accident Insurance – The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express with travel accident insurance allows you to plan ahead without the thought and presentiment of expecting the worse to happen. It’s comforting to know that your family will be less affected financially.
- Destination Family – Get special discounts and benefits on travel tailor made for families by American Express travel provider partners. Examples of some great benefits include kids stay and eat free at hotels, up to $250 off vacation packages per person, and even $275 shipboard credit on cruises.
- Entertainment Access – Enjoy early access to presale tickets and exclusive reserved seating to the latest events before they go on sale to the general public. Never miss your favorite music or live theater performer, sports team, and special shows and events.
Cash Back on Everyday Essentials
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a clear favorite among cash back cards because of its superior 6% and 3% rewards rates on bonus categories that comprise of accessible, normal everyday expenses. You’ll continuously earn cash back bonuses every time you use your card to buy groceries, fill up gas, invest in new clothes, shoes, accessories and make up, furnish your home, buy gifts, and the list goes on. Life can become hectic enough, so it’s pleasing to know that there are no rotating bonus categories to keep up with and no enrollment to qualify for these fantastic rewards. The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express gets even better with it’s cash back on travel and the opportunity to earn $150 back as a statement credit. Review our complete list of credit card bonus promotions.