The Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM is Chase’s newest addition to its family of fantastic cards and is already a major contender not only in the cash back category but also in the overall market. It first presents itself as a very simple, straightforward card offering a flat cash back rate as opposed to the original Chase Freedom®. However, as we begin to analyze further we uncover layers and understand why it’s already such a popular card. The Chase Freedom Unlimited offers a bonus upon meeting spending requirements, unlimited 1.5% cash back, 0% introductory APR, no annual fee, and the opportunity to increase the value of rewards.
$150 Bonus & No Annual Fee
The Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM offers the chance to earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening and an additional $25 when you add your first authorized user and make your first purchase within the same 3 month period. That’s a bonus offer totaling $175 and is identical to the original Chase Freedom but is one of the leading differences from the rest of the competition. The Chase Freedom Unlimited along with the Chase Freedom offers the biggest bonus offer for a cash back card with no annual fee.
Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back
The Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM offers unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. In comparison to the original Chase Freedom, it’s a flat rate with no rotating categories to keep up with, so it’s perfect for those who are occupied with family, work, or just life in general. The cash back rewards earned can be redeemed for any amount at anytime and do not expire as long as you have your card.
Convert to Points for More
The Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM alone is a fantastic cash back card that is comparable to it’s competitors based on just the return rate alone. However, when complimented with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, it overtakes the competition and may quite possibly be the best cash back card. In order to increase Chase Freedom Unlimited’s rewards value, move cash back earned to Chase Sapphire Preferred to convert to points and then redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- 20% Discount Travel – When speaking in terms of points instead of cash back, you’ll be earning 1.5 points for every dollar. Redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards for travel and the value of those points are worth 20% more. For example, the $175 total cash back bonus(upon meeting spending requirements) is worth $210 towards flights, hotels, and car rentals.
- 1 to 1 Point Transfer – When cash back rewards are converted to points and then compiled with Chase Sapphire Preferred, those points can be transferred to other reward programs with Chase partners at a 1 to 1 ratio. Doing so allows for great flexibility and can be highly valuable especially in situations when you need it most. Chase partners include 6 airline and 4 hotel reward programs: British Airways Executive Club, Korean Air SKYPASS, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards, United MileagePlus, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Hyatt Gold Passport, IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards.
- Shopping & Gift Cards – Although redeeming for merchandise and gift cards do not add extra value to your rewards, the option and continued flexibility is available when needed.
0% Intro APR & More Benefits
So much has been said about it’s unlimited rewards and value, however, the Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM has more key features and benefits that makes it a such a versatile card.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 Months – With 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, the Chase Freedom Unlimited gives you an extended break from having to pay interest. Save even more money and pay off debt when you transfer balances from other high interest credit cards. There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. A 0% introductory APR is often times just as important as a bonus offer.
- No Annual Fee – An annual fee is a necessary evil that most have grown to accept especially for rewards cards that have plenty to offer. Because Chase Freedom Unlimited has no annual fee, it makes it so appealing and is one of its stand out features. Pay off monthly balances in full and the bonus, cash back, rewards and benefits that comes with the card will not cost you anything.
- Travel & Purchase Benefits – The Chase Freedom Unlimited also includes purchase protection, price protection, zero liability protection, auto rental collision damage waiver and chip-enabled security. When making purchases outside the U.S., avoid the 3% foreign transaction fee by using the Chase Sapphire Preferred or another card that does not charge a fee.
Accompany with Chase Sapphire Preferred
Because the Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM is Chase’s crowd-pleaser, it’s important to note that Chase has a limit of up to five credit card applications within two years. If you’re already a member of the original Chase Freedom but feel that the new Chase Freedom Unlimited is a better fit, request to switch and avoid a hard pull on your credit. However, making the switch will most likely make you ineligible for the bonus. In contrast to Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited offers unlimited 1.5% cash back rewards on all purchases with no rotating categories, and similarly, it’s great alone but is more dynamic and remarkably valuable when accompanied with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. Review our complete list of credit card bonus promotions.
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.