I’m sure you heard by now that many stores and supermarkets are giving 10% bonus on your stimulus tax rebate check. They include RadioShack, Kmart, Lands’ End, Sears, Albertson’s, and many more. Since many people like myself will get the rebate check via direct deposit, we might be out of luck. No worry, I will show you the hustler’s angle on getting a better deal.
If you have a Krogers Supermarket, this is your best deal with their press release:
Customers who do not have a hard copy of their government-issued checks may still take advantage of this offer with cash, a credit card or by presenting a valid personal check to the Customer Service center. Kroger Gift cards do not expire. Bonus amounts cannot be used toward the purchase of alcohol, lottery tickets, pharmaceuticals or tobacco products.
You simply can get the 10% bonus by buying with a credit card. Lets say you use your AmEx Blue Cash or Chase Freedom to buy $1200 in Krogers gift card, you will make $120 bonus + up to 5% cash back of the $1200 since they are great cash back credit cards for supermarkets.
You may be thinking “great, what the hell I’m gonna do with $1320 in Krogers gift card?!!.” Well, you can use your Krogers gift cards to buy other gift cards. Inside Krogers supermarkets, there should be a rack selling gift cards to many stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Restaurants, Home Depot, etc etc. They even have AmEx, Visa, and Mastercard gift cards although they have activation fees. I believe this code GIFT2008 will waived the $3.95 activation fees for American Express. YMMV.
Here’s my thinking.
- We all need gas so use the gift cards for gas station at Krogers. This will save me 10% + cash back from buying the gift cards earlier using a credit card.
- Use the Krogers gift cards to buy Best Buy gift cards inside their supermarkets. Use it in conjunction with a 10% Best Buy coupon, and you will save over 20% at Best Buy. Likewise with Home Depot or Circuit City.
I know it’s a little hard to follow, but hey, desperate times call for desperate measures. Hustling ain’t easy!
- “Best Cash-Rebate Card” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance*
- Up to 5% Cash Back with Unlimited Cash Rewards
- Earn unlimited cash back
- 0% Intro APR for 6 months on purchases
- Low Balance Transfer rate – 4.99% fixed APR for the life of the balance
- No Annual Fee
- Express Approval. Get a decision in less than 60 seconds.