Are you a frequent American Airlines flyer? Looking for a business airline rewards card? Consider signing up for the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard because it is designed for the business travelers out there. You have the opportunity to earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage Bonus Miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
This card has no foreign transaction fee and $0 annual fee for the first year, then $95 thereafter. If that didn’t convince you already, you can also earn 2x miles for every $1 spent at telecommunications, car rental merchants, at gas stations, and on eligible American Airlines Purchases. This is a limited time offer, get the most out of your next adventure by signing up for this card and get perks for your next flight!
* The Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is issued by Citibank. They also offer great sign-up bonuses for their Checking/Savings accounts. You can also compare this card with other credit card bonuses!
Table of Contents
- 1 CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Summary
- 2 Editor’s Alternate Pick
- 3 CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Card 60,000 Bonus Miles
- 4 What are AAdvantage Miles Worth?
- 5 CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Benefits
- 6 CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Card Top Features
- 7 Bottom Line
- 8 Who’s the Competition?
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Summary
|Bonus Available||Get 50,000 bonus miles after you make at least $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of your account opening.
Get another 10,000 bonus miles after a total of $10,000 in purchases within the first 12 months.
|Travel Credit||No travel credit. But you can earn a $99 Companion Certificate for domestic travel after $30,000 in purchases each year when you renew your membership.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||2 miles for every $1 spent directly on American Airlines purchases.
2 miles for every $1 spent on car rentals, cable and satellite, gas and select telecom.
1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
Free checked bag on domestic American Airlines flights for you and up to 4 travel companions.
Preferred boarding on American Airline flights.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No|
|Airport Lounge Access||N/A|
|Annual Fee||$99, waived the first year|
- Bonus miles
- Bonus companion certificate
- Free checked bag(s)
- Preferred boarding
- Option to redeem with partner airlines
- No foreign transaction fees
- Has an annual fee
- Good-Excellent credit needed to qualify
- Rewards aren’t particularly easy to use
- No lounge access
Editor’s Alternate Pick
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
• Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum
Select Card 60,000 Bonus Miles
This is one of the best perkshe CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select card has to offer is its welcome bonus of up to 60,000 sign-up bonus miles. This is a good value bonus offer. These 60k bonus miles to be worth around $840!
To qualify, you’ll need to make $3,000 or more in purchases within the first 3 months of your account opening to earn the first 50,000 bonus miles. Spend at least $10,000 in purchases within your first 12 months, and you’ll get another 10,000 bonus miles.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on the bank.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
What are AAdvantage Miles Worth?
The value of your miles depends on how you use them. On average, each AAdvantage mile at around $0.014. Using this valuation, 60,000 miles would be worth around $840.
You can redeem your miles towards American Airlines, American Eagle and Oneworld flights, or with one of their many partners (see below for the list). When you fly, your airline choice, and your destination all play a part in your miles’ worth.
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Benefits
- Earn an American Airlines Companion Certificate. Each year of card membership in which you spend $30,000 or more in purchases and renew your card membership. Minimum ticket fee and government taxes and fees apply
- Receive employee cards at no additional cost. Plus, earn AAdvantage miles for purchases made on employee cards and set a unique credit limit for each employee.
- Online Account Summaries. View monthly billing statements and account summaries online to reduce, streamline and expedite your accounting
- Earn Double Miles. on all eligible American Airlines purchases and on purchases in select business categories. Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on American Airlines purchases and on purchases at telecommunications, car rental merchants and at gas stations
- Reduced Mileage Awards. Fly to great destinations on American Airlines operated flights for up to 7,500 fewer AAdvantage® miles! So you’ll save your AAdvantage® miles for another trip. Visit aa.com/reducedmileageawards for more information
CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Card Top Features
With 23 airline partners, you can use and earn AAdvantage miles for travel to over 1,000 destinations worldwide. Check them out below.
|Air Tahiti Nui||Alaska Airlines||British Airways|
|Cape Air||Cathay Pacific||Etihad Airways|
|Fiji Airways||Finnair||Gulf Air|
|Japan Airlines||Jet Airways||LATAM Airlines|
|Malaysia Airlines||Qantas||Qatar Airways|
|Royal Jordanian Airlines||S7 Airlines||Seaborne Airlines|
Make sure your miles don’t expire. Earn or redeem on American Airlines or with an AAdvantage partner at least once every 18 months.
How much have you spent on checked bags on your recent business trips? At an average of $30 a pop, that can add up.
When you fly American Airlines within the United States, your baggage fees (and the fees of up to 4 people in your party) are waived. Go on two round trips with a colleague and your baggage-fee savings will cover the card’s annual fee.
Preferred boarding allows you to board the plane before the rest of economy class. That guarantees overhead bin space for your carry-on and gives you ample time to settle in.
Enjoy a 25% savings on American Airlines inflight WiFi, food and beverages when you charge these purchases to your card.
Earn a $99 domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate. All you have to do is spend $30,000 or more in eligible purchases during one cardmembership year. To take advantage of this perk, you’ll need to renew your card membership and pay the annual fee.
Companion ticket taxes and fees range from $21.60 to $43.20 (as of Q4 2018), depending on itinerary, for one round trip economy fare. Check American’s website for updated taxes and fees.
You don’t want to worry about foreign transaction fees when you make a purchase abroad. There are no fees for foreign transactions with this card.
|Best Credit Card Categories|
|0% APR||Airline Rewards||Balance Transfer|
|Cash Back||Hotel Rewards||Military|
|No Annual Fee||No Foreign Transaction Fee||Premium|
|Small Business||Student||Travel Rewards|
The CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard provides you with additional benefits such as 2x miles for every $1 spent at telecommunications, car rental merchants, at gas stations, and on eligible American Airlines Purchases, no annual fee for the first year, and much more. Book your next business trip with this card.
The big bonus here is the sign up bonus where you can get 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage Bonus Miles by using this card to spend $3,000 within the first three months of account opening. If you are interested in more promotions from CitiBank, look at our list of Citibank Promotions and the full list of more credit card promotion to find the card that best fits you!
(Visit the link above to learn more about this card.)
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Who’s the Competition?
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business card has a nice sign-up bonus which lets you earn two miles per $1 on every purchase. There are no spending categories to keep up with and the annual fee is a comparable $95 (waived first year).
With the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business:
• Earn 2 miles per $1 on every purchase
• Plus, a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
• Miles won't expire for the life of the account, and there are no categories to limit where or what you buy
• $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
• There's no limit to the amount of miles you can earn
• Redeem miles for travel, cash back, gift cards and more
• No foreign transaction fees and fly on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
General Business Travel Rewards
The Ink Business Preferred Credit Card earns rewards on travel and select business categories. You aren’t tied to any airline or hotel network, and points get great value through Chase Ultimate Rewards. There’s a massive bonus offer to top it all off.
With the Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card:
• Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
• Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases - with no limit to the amount you can earn
• Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
• Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
• No foreign transaction fees
• Employee cards at no additional cost
• $95 Annual Fee
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account (Cashback Match)||$360 Cash||Review|
|Citibank Account Package||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|