Before Christmas Day comes, take a quick stop at your local bank and make sure your finances are in good shape. However, because Christmas is a standard Federal Reserve bank holiday, celebrated by most, if not all, banks, you might want to consider visiting the bank before that day. Continue reading to learn if banks are open on Christmas.
Banks Open on Christmas Eve
Many banks will remain open on New Year’s Eve, but may have different hours from normal. Here are some of the banks that will be open on New Year’s Eve:
- Bank of America: Most branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Bank of the West: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BBVA: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- BB&T: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- BMO Harris Bank: Branches open 8 a.m to 12-3 p.m., depending on location
- Capital One: Branches open 9 a.m to 2 p.m.
- Chase: Branches open 9 a.m to 3 p.m.
- Citizens Bank: Branches open 10 a.m to 2-3 p.m., depending on location
- Fifth Third Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Huntington: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- KeyBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- People’s United Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- PNC Bank: Most branches open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Regions: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Santander Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SunTrust: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- TD Bank: Many branches open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- UBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Union Bank: Many branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- U.S. Bank: Branches open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but hours vary widely
- Wells Fargo: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Another thing to keep in mind is that some locations may be closed or have limited service due to the pandemic. Call ahead to make absolutely sure that your bank is open.
How To Access Your Money If Your Bank Is Closed
Although your bank may be closed one of the two days, you still have option of using online banking and ATMs. Both these options allow you to gain access to your funds even if your bank is closed. many ATMs are even open 24/7, and many bank branches even have drive-thru ATMs that are open even if the bank is closed.
If you need a money order, however, you still have some options available. The key to this is to find a retailer that stays open long enough for you to complete the transaction. For example, Walmart sells money orders at its Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores, which will be open during the holiday.
2021 Bank Holidays
Start the new year off right by penning this holiday schedule into your calendar.
|New Year’s Day||Jan. 1|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Jan. 18|
|Presidents Day||Feb. 15|
|Memorial Day||May 31|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Labor Day||Sept. 6|
|Columbus Day||Oct. 11|
|Veterans Day||Nov. 11|
|Thanksgiving Day||Nov. 25|
|Christmas Day||Dec. 25|
These days are all listed as a bank holiday according to the Federal Reserve, so that means they will typically be closed on these days. However, you can always do your own research and call your local bank to see if they will be operating on any of these days.
Christmas is a holiday loved by many and can be seen as a day for gift giving. To make sure you have the funds to buy your gifts this year, be sure to head into your local bank before then to check on your finances.
Because Christmas is a bank holiday, banks will most likely be closed so try and go before that day. For more posts like this, check out our list of bank guides!