Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a leading cash back credit card that ranks at the top of the list on getting high cash back on gas and purchases at U.S. supermarkets. Families or anyone who mostly spend on everyday essentials like groceries, gas, home goods, and clothes will love this card.
You’ll get cash back without having to make any extra effort but by simply using your card. It also comes with a welcome offer and special cash back on travel to warmly welcome its new members.
It does come with a $95 annual fee. However, with the amount of cash back it offers and the rewards you’ll earn, you’ll have more than enough to offset it. It’s especially rewarding if you have many mouths to feed.
Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express Summary
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
Buy Now, Pay Later: Enjoy $0 intro plan fees when you use Plan It(R) to split up large purchases into monthly installments. Pay $0 intro plan fees on plans created during the first 12 months from the date of account opening. Plans created after that will have a monthly plan fee up to 1.33% of each eligible purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors.
Low Intro APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months from the date of account opening. After that, your APR will be a variable APR of 19.24% - 29.99%. Variable APRs will not exceed 29.99%.
• 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
• 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
• 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
• 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
The card does come with a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95. (See Rates & Fees)
Statement Credit Incentive
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers the chance to earn $250 back in statement credits after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. It should be easy to satisfy the spending requirement, especially if you use this card as your primary card for most of your purchases.
Unrivaled 6% Cash Back Rewards
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express has unrivaled cash back reward categories that makes it a favorite among practical consumers and critical analysts alike. Enjoy rewards on everyday spending and watch your savings add up. Cash back rewards and bonuses earned will be in the form of statement credits.
- 6% Cash Back can be earned at U.S. supermarket. It’s only available for up to $6,000 per year in purchases. Then, receive 1% after. Reaching the $6,000 maximum amount alone totals $360 cash back within the year. That doesn’t include any of the other categories. Unfortunately, major discount superstores and wholesale clubs like Walmart, Target, Sam’s and Costco aren’t included.
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions and 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
- 3% Cash Back can be earned at U.S. gas stations. There’s no cap for this spending category. Therefore, the earning power is also unlimited where a 3% return can really add up.
- 1% Cash Back will be earned on other purchases. There’s also no spending limit.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express comes with many standout benefits. They will protect your purchases, safeguard and help when you need it most. Plus, they’ll connect you to fun and entertainment. Some restrictions apply with each benefit.
- Purchase Protection: Get an extra level of protection on your purchases. Enjoy purchase protection, extended warranty, return protection, and dispute resolution. If the manufacturers, retailers or service providers of your purchases can’t assist you, your card may be able to handle it.
- Amex Offers: Take advantage of these for opportunities to earn more points or statement credit. Just sign up at amexoffers.com, add offers to your card, and meet the requirements.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance: Use your card for your car rental, then experience coverage if it becomes damaged or stolen. Just decline the collision damage waiver when picking up the car.
- Roadside Assistance Hotline: Having car trouble is always a major inconvenience and is distressing. If you ever become stranded, you can get emergency services. These include towing, repairing a flat tire, battery charges to get back on the road.
- Global Assist Hotline: For unanticipated circumstances while traveling or if you have questions about where you’re traveling to, this program can help you. No matter if the situation is urgent or minor, call the Global Assist Hotline.
- Travel Accident Insurance: Plan ahead without expecting the worse to happen. Know that your family will be less affected financially.
- Destination Family: Get special travel discounts and benefits tailor made for families by American Express travel partners.
- Entertainment Access: Enjoy early access to pre-sale tickets and exclusive reserved seating to the latest events before they go on sale to the general public.
Cash Back on Everyday Essentials
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a clear favorite among cash back cards because of its superior 6% and 3% rewards rates on bonus categories that comprise of accessible, normal everyday expenses.
You’ll continuously earn cash back bonuses every time you use your card. Life can become hectic enough, so it’s pleasing to know that there are no rotating bonus categories to keep up with. Plus, you don’t need to enroll to qualify for these fantastic rewards.
The Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card gets even better with it’s cash back on travel and the opportunity to earn a great welcome offer. If you’re interested in what more American Express has to offer, check out our list of the best American Express credit card bonuses and our complete list of credit card bonus promotions.
Learn more about this card and its features here.