Wells Fargo, a nationwide bank, offers 13,000 ATMs and 5,800 branches in the United States. They have a wide variety of checking and savings accounts that can accommodate anyone at any age. To find out if Wells Fargo is right for you, continue reading this review below.
The most notable feature that Wells Fargo has to offer is their “Opportunity Checking” account!
This is basically a second-chance opportunity given to those who had bad banking history or struggle with acquiring the funds to open a normal checking account. This account has low requirements, but Wells Fargo’s other accounts have some neat perks too.
Wells Fargo is also known for its convenient services when it comes to banking and it is quite popular as an online bank as well.
*View the latest Wells Fargo Promotions here.*
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 CD Account Options
- 6 Compare CD Accounts
- 7 Reasons to Bank with Wells Fargo
- 8 Reasons Not to Bank with Wells Fargo
- 9 Wells Fargo Routing Number
- 10 Contact Customer Service
- 11 How Wells Fargo Compares
- 12 Compare to Other Banks
- 13 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
With each Wells Fargo checking account, you will receive a Platinum Debit Card (with chip), gain access to online bill pay, transfers and mobile deposits.
You will also have access to their 24/7 customer service and text banking.
This is Wells Fargo’s standard checking account and as the name implies, it is for everyday use.
You can open this account with a $25 minimum deposit.
There is a $10 monthly fee, however you can waive it by taking any of these measures:
- Make at least 10 debit card transactions
- Have an overall direct deposit of at least $500
- Maintain a daily balance of at least $1,500
- Have a linked Wells Fargo Campus Debit Card
This Wells Fargo’s premium checking account. Just like the Everyday Checking account, you will need $25 as an opening deposit to open it.
There is a $15 monthly fee, however you can waive it by taking any of these measures:
- Have an overall deposit balance of at least $10,000
- A Combined direct deposits totaling at least $1,000
- Have a linked Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
This account also comes with:
- Instant Access Debit Card
- Free Cashier’s Checks
- A $10 discount on personal style checks
This account can earn interest, but it is minimal. This account starts earning interest on account balances that are at least $500.
This checking account is for those who have high account balances. You need a minimum opening deposit of $25 and from there on you can keep earning interest.
The more money you deposit into this checking account, the higher your interest rates will be.
There is a $30 monthly fee, but you can waive it by taking any of these measures:
- Have a linked bank deposits of at least $25,000
- Have a linked bank, brokerage and credit balances of at least $50,000
In addition to earning a high interest rate, you also get exclusive benefits such as:
- Waived ATM fees for non-Wells Fargo transactions
- Interest rate discounts on Wells Fargo loans
- No overdraft protection transfer fees
Teenagers ages 13-17 can open their own checking account with Wells Fargo as long their parent or guardian is a co-owner.
Both parent and teen will have access to benefits such as financial tools, spending limits and budgeting tools.
Like all the other checking accounts, you will need at least $25 as an opening deposit. There is also a $3 monthly fee, but it can be waived through online statements.
Parents can set limits on their teen’s spending and help them manage their money more responsibly.
Both parties will also have access to the My Spending Report with Budget Watch feature.
If you are unable to open a Everyday Checking account due to lack of funds, then this account is a good start. Unfortunately, this account also requires a $25 opening deposit.
There is a $10 monthly fee, but you can waive it by taking any of these measures:
- Make at least 10 posted debit card transactions
- Have direct deposits totaling at least $500
- Maintain a daily balance of at least $1,500
You can also gain access to the My Spending Report with Budget Watch feature to help you manage your money better.
You will, however, need to visit a Wells Fargo in person to open this account.
Compare Checking Accounts
Savings Account Options
Wells Fargo doesn’t offer that many savings accounts, but the two present do have notable features to them.
Both are designed to help you control your spending better since they have programs such as Save As You Go® and My Savings Plan®.
This savings account is designed to encourage you to keep up with your daily savings. If you utilize the Save As You Go® program, you can slowly build your savings.
With every transaction or purchase made with your Wells Fargo checking account, Wells Fargo will automatically transfer $1 into your savings.
You will need a minimum opening deposit of $25 to get started and there is also a monthly fee to consider.
You can waive the $5 monthly fee by taking any of these measures:
- Maintain a daily balance of at least $300
- Set up and maintain one or more automatic savings options
- If you are under 18 years of age
This savings account is designed to earn high interest as you save money.
You will need $25 as an opening deposit and there is a $12 monthly fee, but you can waive it by maintaining a daily balance of at least $3,500.
You will also gain access to the My Savings Plan® program which helps you save money, set savings goals and track your progress.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 3.30% APY as of 12/22/22 on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• 24/7 Account Access
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn up to 1.00% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB323 by 03/15/2023
• Earn high interest rate of 3.30% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
• See advertiser website for full details
To get your $150 or $200 Bonus: What to do: Apply for your first Discover Online Savings Account, online, in the Discover App or by phone. Enter Offer Code HMB323 when applying. Deposit into your account a total of at least $15,000 to earn a $150 Bonus or deposit a total of at least $25,000 to earn a $200 Bonus. Deposit must be posted to account within 30 days of account open date. Maximum bonus eligibility is $200.
What to know: Offer not valid for existing or prior Discover savings customers or existing or prior customers with savings accounts that are co-branded, or affinity accounts provided by Discover. Eligibility is based on primary account owner. Account must be open when bonus is credited. Bonus will be credited to the account within 60 days of the account qualifying for the bonus. Bonus is interest and subject to reporting on Form 1099-INT. Offer ends 3/15/2023, 11:59 PM ET. Offer may be modified or withdrawn without notice.
CD Account Options
Wells Fargo has a few selection of CDs that earn decent interest rates.
The Standard CD doesn’t earn a super high interest rate and requires an opening deposit of $2,000. However, there are no monthly fees to worry about.
These terms are available starting from 3 months to 1 year.
The Special CD earns much a higher interest rates depending on the CD’s term’s length. You will need an opening deposit of $5,000, but there are no monthly fees.
These terms are available starting from 9 months to 39 months.
This CD will also automatically renew when it reaches its maturity date.
If you don’t like earning a fixed interest rate, then consider the Step Rate CD. This CD increases the interest rate every 5 months.
You will need an opening deposit of $2,500, but there is also no monthly fee.
These terms are available starting from 1-6 months to 19-24 months, each being exactly 5 months a part.
Upon maturity (after 24 months), this CD will automatically renew as a Standard fixed rate CD.
You will, however, need to visit a Wells Fargo in person to open a Step Rate CD.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available online nationwide
• Earn up to 4.65% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the CIT Bank No-Penalty 11-Month CD:
• Earn 4.10% APY on your funds with just a $1,000 minimum deposit.
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
• Available nationwide online, Discover offers CDs with some of the highest & most competitive rates! with select terms as short as 3 months up to 120 months
• Rates ranging from 2.00% APY up to 4.30% APY.
• Opening a Discover Bank Certificate of Deposit is extremely quick and easy.
• Funds on deposit are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.
• Start today with a minimum deposit of $2,500!
• Get started and open a Discover CD in 3 easy steps.
Reasons to Bank with Wells Fargo
- Wells Fargo has about 13,000 ATMs nationwide, so you are bound to find an ATM almost anywhere.
- You can do all your banking online on Wells Fargo’s site or mobile app.
- Set up automatic bill payments so you can avoid overdraft fees.
- Set up account alerts to avoid missing late payments and overdrafts.
- You can receive text alerts from Wells Fargo regarding your bank account statements. To do this just text 93557 and receive an instant reply. Additional texts are: BAL — for account balance; ACT — for recent transactions; DUE — for due dates.
- Wells Fargo has partnered with Zelle so you can easily and securely send money to your friends and family through the Wells Fargo mobile app.
- If you use a Wells Fargo Debit Card, then you get zero liability protection.
- You can make payments through mobile transaction apps such as Samsung Pay, Apple Pay, and Google Pay. You can also check your Wells Fargo Wallet on your mobile app for payments.
- Wells Fargo provides a 24/7 fraudulent checkup to make sure nothing suspicious is happening to your account.
Reasons Not to Bank with Wells Fargo
- Wells Fargo doesn’t offer the best interest rates so if you are more concerned on earning interest, you might want to look elsewhere.
- Unlike some banks, Wells Fargo charges $10 for their Opportunity Checking account. If you want to learn how to get a fee-free checking account, then click here.
- You have to pay an overdraft fee in order to have overdraft protection.
- There aren’t many savings accounts to choose from.
Wells Fargo Routing Number
Wells Fargo’s routing numbers vary depending on the state and region. For more information on how to find your routing number check out Wells Fargo’s website.
Contact Customer Service
You can reach Wells Fargo’s Customer Service at 1 (800)-869-3557.
How Wells Fargo Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account.
- Bank of America: As one of the larger banks in the U.S. Many may choose BoA for the convenience of locations through out 35 states. However, BoA offers limited account options.
- Webster Bank: Webster Bank also has a second chance Opportunity Checking account for slightly higher, but comes with exclusive benefits. They offer high interest rates with certain accounts and other benefits.
- US Bank: US Bank is another nationwide bank that has similar account options as Wells Fargo, except they offer tiered checking accounts instead.
Compare to Other Banks
- Wells Fargo vs US Bank
- Wells Fargo vs Bank of America
- Chase vs Wells Fargo
- HSBC Bank vs Wells Fargo
- TD Bank vs Wells Fargo
- Huntington Bank vs Wells Fargo
- SunTrust Bank vs Wells Fargo
- Capital One vs Wells Fargo
- BMO Harris Bank vs Wells Fargo
- Citibank vs Wells Fargo
- Bank of America vs Wells Fargo
If you would like to invest in a bank that offers a second chance opportunity and helps their customers control their spending limits with beneficial programs, then consider banking with Wells Fargo!
The opening deposits and monthly fees are affordable and each checking account will automatically give you Platinum Debit Card, and you can earn interest on premium accounts, each time you make purchases with your Wells Fargo Debit Card.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
If you’re interested in banking with Wells Fargo, see what they have to offer through Wells Fargo Promotions! And while you’re here on HMB, check our full list of Best Bank Promotions for more options!
- Wells Fargo Hours: What Time Does Wells Fargo Close Today?
- Wells Fargo Routing Number
- How To Find and Use Your Wells Fargo Login