It’s getting to that time of year again where the deadline to submit your federal tax! The deadline is Tuesday, April 17, 2018, but if you do not have time or not ready to file, you can file for an extension. Taking this route, you are able to extend this deadline by six months with a new deadline of October, 15, 2018. However, note that this does not extend the time that you may need to pay any tax that is due. Now, keep in mind that you shouldn’t just file for an extension just to receive more time. There are actual and legitimate reasons why one may need to request such an extension, but an extension is usually granted without the need to provide a specific reason. In this post, we’ll guide you on how to eFile a federal extension via the IRS within minutes for free (state extensions may also be available). Are there benefits of using eFile? Benefits of using eFile include saving time and postage costs of paper mailing, you are able to estimate our own tax liability using the online calculators and/or software, and you will be able to receive confirmation/receipt within a few hours via email or text.
How To File An Extension via TaxAct:
- Register for free at TaxACT.com with an e-mail address, then set a password.
- Go to the extension form, click on the “Filing” tab on the top, and then the “File Extension” link right below it.
- Go through the Form 4868 in a question-and-answer format and then file the form electronically.
- Put down zero if you don’t think you’ll owe any taxes. If you have a tax payment, you can choose direct withdrawal from your bank account.
- Confirm the status of your extension e-file by going to efstatus.taxact.com.
Now, if you’re nearing the deadline and you know you won’t be able to file on time, this is a good route to take to receive an extension. This way, you an avoid any sort of penalties or interest that may accrue by missing the deadline. Be sure to check out our section on the latest Bank Deals or ways to Save Money Online!
The Chase Freedom FlexSM offers a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
• 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate.
• 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back. You'll be able to new 5% categories each quarter!
This card has no annual fee.