Not sure if you guys still do this or not, but many people out there still ordering dollar coins from the Mint Department and get cash back since they don’t charge any fees. I’ve written about many times in the past, but it still works and a great way to make side money if you have the time.
Here’s the advance version:
- Make sure you have a good cash back card such as the Schwab 2%, Fidelity 2%, or even the AARP 5% cash back.
- Sign up for Big Crumbs to buy American Express gift card to get 1.6% cash back with your cash back credit card.
- Since American Express gift card is just as good as a credit card, now you can go to The Mint website and order coins.
- You can order in batch of $250 per box. I think as many as boxes as you want, but there is limit to certain type of coins.
Once you get the coins, there are many ways to get rid of it since you don’t want to carry all these coins.
- Deposit back into you bank account, however it’s frown upon since their Terms of Service asks you not to do this.
- Use it to pay your mortgage at the bank, or pay your tax, or wherever you can pay using these $1 coins.
Personally, if you have a hard time get those credit card bonus requirements for spending such as the $200 Citi Premier, then I would use this method.
So question, are you still doing this with the coins method? Let me know how you are cashing out.