Jim Koons Automotive Co. agreed to a class action settlement to resolve claims it failed to prevent a 2021 data breach.
According to the data breach notification, an unauthorized party gained access to Jim Koons’ computer systems and may have compromised sensitive information such as Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers and other identifiers.
Affected consumers took prompt legal action against Jim Koons Automotive Co., arguing the car dealer had a duty to protect their information through reasonable cybersecurity measures but failed to do so. Plaintiffs in the case also challenged the amount of time between the initial discovery of the breach and the notification of affected consumers.
Jim Koons hasn’t admitted any wrongdoing but agreed to pay an undisclosed sum to resolve these data breach allegations.
Jim Koons Automotive Co. Data Breach Class Action Lawsuit
- Who’s Eligible:
- Consumers who were sent a mailed notification that their personal identifying information such as their Social Security number or driver’s license number was compromised in a June 2021 data breach
- Estimated Amount: Varies
- Proof of Purchase:
- Proof of purchase may include bank fees, long distance phone charges, cell phone charges (only if charged by the minute), data charges (only if charged based on the amount of data used), postage, or gasoline for local travel, fees for credit reports, credit monitoring, or other identity theft insurance product purchased between January 14, 2022 and the date of the Settlement Agreement.
- Claim Form Deadline: 02/23/2023
- Case Name & Number:
- Morelli, et al. v. Jim Koons Management Company, Case No. 8:22-CV-00292, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, Southern Division
- How to file a claim:
- Head over to the Claim Form.
- Read over the claim form to see if you are eligible.
- Complete the claim form with your info.
- Submit your claim form to receive your potential award!
(Click here to file a claim)
Don’t forget to take a look at our full list of Class Action Lawsuit Settlements! Be sure to give our list of No-Proof Class Action lawsuit to see other settlements you may qualify for.
Leave a Reply