L&K Coffee Co. agreed to a $6.15 million settlement to resolve claims it falsely advertised its coffee as originating from the Kona region.
The Kona District on the Big Island of Hawaii grows some of the best quality coffee in the world due to its volcanic soil, elevation and humidity. Consumers are willing to pay a higher price for Kona coffee based on its reputation, plaintiffs explain. L&K allegedly takes advantage of this reputation by passing its ordinary coffee as higher quality Kona coffee.
Farmers say they have been injured by this false advertising. Counterfeit Kona coffee products allegedly drive down the price of genuine Kona coffee. In addition, counterfeit products allegedly bring down the reputation of Kona coffee when customers make judgments based on inferior products.
“By their actions, Defendants have artificially depressed the market price of authentic Kona coffee, harmed the reputation of authentic Kona coffee as a premium product, and caused consumer confusion as to the legitimate sources of Kona coffee,” the Kona coffee class action lawsuit contends.
L&K hasn’t admitted any wrongdoing but agreed to a $6.15 million class action settlement to resolve these allegations. Other coffee companies, such as Kroger and Costco, agreed to similar settlements with coffee farmers.
L&K Coffee Co. Kona Coffee False Advertising Class Action Lawsuit
- Who’s Eligible:
- Individuals who farmed Kona coffee in the Kona district and sold their Kona coffee between Feb. 27, 2015, and Oct. 4, 2022.
- Estimated Amount: Varies
- Proof of Purchase:
- Tax name (farm or individual) and Tax ID (SSN/EIN), along with the in-production coffee acreage of the farm for each year from 2015 to 2021.
- Claim Form Deadline: 05/30/2023
- Case Name & Number:
- Bruce Corker, et al. v. Costco Wholesale Corp., et al., Case No. 2:19-cv-00290-rsl, in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington at Seattle.
- How to file a claim:
- Head over to the Claim Form.
- Read over the claim form to see if you are eligible.
- Complete the claim form with your info.
- Submit your claim form to receive your potential award!
(Click here to file a claim)
Don’t forget to take a look at our full list of Class Action Lawsuit Settlements! Be sure to give our list of No-Proof Class Action lawsuit to see other settlements you may qualify for.
Leave a Reply