SquareTrade agreed to a class action settlement to resolve claims it underpaid consumers for protection plan claims.
SquareTrade protection plans are Allstate protection programs that offer replacement reimbursement for items such as smartphones, appliances, TV, furniture and more. According to a class action lawsuit, SquareTrade underpays consumers under protection plans.
Underpayment allegedly occurs due to Fast Cash processes and SKU-cap errors. The Fast Cash payments offered by SquareTrade rely on a replacement cost estimate that is less than is accurate, plaintiffs contend. The SKU-cap error allegedly applies a cap on reimbursement amounts paid to certain consumers. The SquareTrade class action lawsuit maintains both of these practices resulted in underpayment on claims.
SquareTrade hasn’t admitted any wrongdoing but agreed to pay an undisclosed sum to resolve these allegations.
SquareTrade Underpaid Consumer Claims Class Action Lawsuit
- Who’s Eligible:
- The settlement benefits two classes: the Fast Cash Subclass and the SKU-cap Subclass.
- The Fast Cash Subclass includes consumers who submitted a claim for coverage under a SquareTrade protection plan and whose claim was resolved via a Fast Cash payment.
- The SKU-cap Subclass includes consumers who submitted a claim for coverage under a SquareTrade protection plan, resolved the claim with a monetary payment and received less than the amount they should have due to a SKU-cap error.
- Estimated Amount: Varies
- Proof of Purchase: Yes
- Fast Cash Subclass members filing a claim must submit evidence that they purchased a replacement product for a specified amount (exclusive of taxes and fees) at or near the time the claimant filed the claim resulting in the Fast Cash payment or that reflects the price of the replacement product (exclusive of taxes and fees) at or near the time they filed the claim resulting in the Fast Cash payment.
- Claim Form Deadline: 02/14/2023
- Case Name & Number:
- Shuman, et al. v. SquareTrade Inc., Case No. 3:20-CV-02725-JCS, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- How to file a claim:
- Head over to the Claim Form.
- Read over the claim form to see if you are eligible.
- Complete the claim form with your info.
- Submit your claim form to receive your potential award!
(Click here to file a claim)