Kilgore Independent School District (ISD) agreed to pay $2.97 million as part of a settlement to resolve claims it collected illegal property taxes on homestead exemption properties.
Plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit accused Kilgore ISD of illegally repealing and reducing its local option homestead exemption for tax years 2016 through 2019. As a result, the district allegedly collected unfair property taxes on exempt properties in its boundaries.
Kilgore ISD is a Texas school district.
Kilgore ISD hasn’t admitted any wrongdoing but agreed to a $2.97 million class action settlement to resolve the tax allegations against it.
Kilgore ISD Property Tax Class Action Lawsuit
- Who’s Eligible:
- Individuals who own real property within the Kilgore Independent School District’s boundaries which had a valid homestead exemption during the 2016, 2017, 2018 and/or 2019 tax years and who paid property taxes in the 2016, 2017, 2018 and/or 2019 tax years.
- Estimated Amount: Varies
- Proof of Purchase: N/A
- Claim Form Deadline: 05/01/2023
- Case Name & Number:
- Anderson, et al. v. Kilgore Independent School District, et al., Case No. 2016-1850-CCL2, in the Texas County Court for Gregg County.
- How to file a claim:
- Head over to the Claim Form.
- Read over the claim form to see if you are eligible.
- Complete the claim form with your info.
- Submit your claim form to receive your potential award!
(Click here to file a claim)
Don’t forget to take a look at our full list of Class Action Lawsuit Settlements! Be sure to give our list of No-Proof Class Action lawsuit to see other settlements you may qualify for.
Leave a Reply