While American Express is an advertising partner of HustlerMoneyBlog, the opinions and beliefs in this article are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express is a travel card at it’s core, but just as importantly, it also recognizes and rewards everyday spending and purchases. You’ll consistently and steadily earn Membership Points at U.S. gas stations, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. restaurants while the biggest rewards come from airfare purchases. As a member of the celebrated American Express Membership Rewards program, you’ll have a vast variety of redemption options with the points you’ve on earn on your card. It’s one of the best travel rewards charge card that offers outstanding rewards and benefits, ongoing credit every year, and also welcomes you with a substantial bonus.
Table of Contents
25,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express offers 25,000 Membership Rewards Points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of card membership. Those 25,000 bonus points can be redeemed for $250 worth of flights or $250 in gift cards among many other options as later detailed.
Rewards for Airfare and Everyday Spending
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express is a highly popular card for those who often travel. Some critics argue that it edges out the competition because of its comprehensive bonus reward categories and bigger rates of return.
- 3 Points for flights booked directly with airlines
- 2 Points at US gas stations, US supermarkets, and US restaurants
- 1 Point on all other purchases
- 2 Points when you use your card to book flights, hotel, vacation(flight & hotel) packages or cruise reservations through amextravel.com. Additionally, earn 2x points from car ride services with Uber when you use your card and the Uber app.
Ongoing Travel Credits
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express includes ongoing travel credit opportunities that justifies and may more than make up for the annual fee of $195 which is waived the first year.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit – Receive up to $100 in statement credits every year when you use your card for qualifying incidental fees with select airlines of your choice. Examples of incidentals that qualify include baggage fees and in-flight food, beverage, and wireless internet service.
- $75 Hotel Credit – Book a minimum of two consecutive night stays at participating properties with American Express Travel and receive $75 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities. Since it’s typical to stay for at least two or more nights on trips, getting this generous hotel credit should be fairly easy and can quickly add up. In fact, you’re eligible for the credit for each room booked up to 3 rooms per stay which can earn you a total of $225 in hotel credit. There isn’t a limit on the number of times you can earn the credit which is in addition to complimentary room upgrades, double Membership Reward points, and more benefits as part of The Hotel Collection.
Valuable and Flexible Redemption
With the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, you will earn Membership Rewards Points which are one of the most valuable and flexible reward points available and is a major reason why American Express cards are so popular despite their limited acceptance. There are a multitude of ways to redeem Membership Reward Points.
- Travel – Book flights, hotel, cruises, and vacation packages through amextravel.com and pay all or a portion with your Membership Reward points. You’ll earn frequent flyer miles, and there are no blackout dates and flexible seat selections. More travel options to redeem your points include Uber car ride services and Airbnb stays. Redeem your entire vacation through points with the Membership Rewards Program.
- Transfer – Get flexibility from your points with the ability to transfer to partner airline and hotel loyalty reward programs, many at 1:1 ratio or even greater. A few notable loyalty programs include British Airways, Virgin America, Singapore Airlines, Emirates Skywards, Hilton HHonors, and Starwood Preferred Guest.
- Credit & Gift Cards – Get statement credits for your points to pay off charges made on your card. You can also redeem your points for gift cards at 1 cent per point.
- Shop – Use your points to shop for merchandise and entertainment through the Membership Rewards online shopping site. You can even link your card to your Amazon account and apply your points when checking out.
Travel, Purchase, & Entertainment Benefits
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express includes distinguished travel, purchase, and entertainment benefits that add a whole new dimension and value to the card.
- Travel Benefits – It’s comforting to know that every time you travel, you’re safeguarded with car rental loss and damage insurance, baggage insurance plan, travel accident insurance, premium roadside assistance, and global assistance hotline. There also are no foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside the U.S.
- Purchase Benefits – Purchases made with your Premier Rewards Gold card will be covered with purchase protection, extended warranty, and return protection. Take advantage of AmEx Offers for special discount offers by spending a set amount for statement credit back.
- Entertainment Benefits – Stay connected with music, sports, the arts, live performance with Entertainment Access and Preferred Seating. Book your next trip or vacation with a Personalized Travel Service and take advantage of travel benefits like Gold Card Destination and Destination Family. Receive complimentary ShopRunner membership every year, which is a $79 savings. Shop the latest brands that offer special discounts and promotions on top of free 2 day shipping and returns.
The Iconic Gold Card
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express is one of the most distinguished consumer cards from American Express. It’s iconic with its long history and characteristic gold color which is also reflected in its name. As a charge card with no pre-set limits, Premier Rewards Gold card members are regarded as being financially secure and confident as full balance payments are expected every month. It comes with a solid welcome bonus, ongoing travel credits, and is rich in rewards and benefits. The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express is an excellent card to accompany you through many aspects of life and generously rewards you in return. Review our complete list of credit card bonus promotions.