Riverside Public Utilities agreed to pay $24 million to refund customers for general fund fees that allegedly violated state law.
The settlement benefits current and former Riverside Public Utilities electric customers who had an active utility account between Jan. 1, 2019, and Nov. 4, 2021.
Riverside Public Utilities is a publicly owned company that provides water and electricity to Riverside, California. In the past, the utility company transferred excess electricity revenue to Riverside’s General Fund. This fund provides support to general services such as fire departments, paramedics, police officers, street repairs, park maintenance and more.
A 2018 class action lawsuit challenged this practice, arguing that rate increases to support the general fund transfer represented an added tax. Under a 2010 state voter proposition, certain fees and charges charged by an electric utility company must be approved by voters in order to be constitutional.
In 2020, a judge agreed with the plaintiffs in the case and ruled the rate increase was unconstitutional, according to the Press-Enterprise.
Riverside hasn’t admitted any wrongdoing but has agreed to refund customers $24 million in collected general fund fees.
Riverside Public Utilities Fees Class Action Lawsuit
- Who’s Eligible:
- Current and former Riverside Public Utilities electric customers who had an active utility account between Jan. 1, 2019, and Nov. 4, 2021
- Estimated Amount: Varies
- Proof of Purchase: N/A
- Claim Form Deadline: 11/30/2023
- Case Name & Number:
- Parada, et al. v. City of Riverside, Case No. 1818642, in the Riverside Superior Court
- How to file a claim:
- Head over to the Claim Form.
- Read over the claim form to see if you are eligible.
- Complete the claim form with your info.
- Submit your claim form to receive your potential award!
(Click here to file a claim)
Don’t forget to take a look at our full list of Class Action Lawsuit Settlements! Be sure to give our list of No-Proof Class Action lawsuit to see other settlements you may qualify for.
Leave a Reply