Those without a Costco Membership, they allow non-members to shop for free when using the Costco Cash Card during checkout. You’ll need a friend with a Costco membership to buy Costco gift cards online. Simply show your Costco Cash Card at the door, then pay using your gift card or remaining balance with cash.
Shop at Costco Free WITHOUT a Membership
You CAN use a Costco Gift Card to shop their store WITHOUT a membership. When non-members shop, just show the Costco Gift Card and pay remaining balance with cash. There is NO extra surcharge for non-members. Same discounts apply for non-members. Same lenient return policy applies, however you need to keep your receipt. You will save $55 annual membership fee using this method.
The Costco website states: “Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States,”
How To Shop at Costco Without a Membership:
- Ask friends with membership to buy you the Costco Cash card(online or at the store).
- Go to store and show Costco cash card to get in at the door. (You could also tell them you are going the pharmacy).
- Non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and online at Costco.com.
- When you go to pay, you pay first with your gift card but any remaining balance must be paid with cash or debit (no American Express).
You can also buy gas with a cash card. If you’re using the pharmacy or purchasing liquor at Costco, it’s prohibited by law to require membership for those services. Simply walk into Costco and tell them you are purchasing liquor or using the pharmacy to fill prescriptions, all without a membership!
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
• 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
• 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
• 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations.
• 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
• 1% Cash Back on other eligible purchases.
The card does come with a $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95. (See Rates & Fees)