Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
Cardholders earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions and 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
In addition, you an earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations; all other purchases earn 1% cash back.
With the 6% reward rate on qualifying groceries, a family really only needs to spend $25 a week on groceries to make up for the annual fee (See rates & fees). Unlike the Chase Freedom or Discover it, there are no rotating reward categories and no enrollment required.
Table of Contents
Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express Summary
|Bonus Available||Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits|| 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in spending.
6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations.
3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshares, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more.
1% Cash Back on all other purchases.Terms Apply.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars (See rates & fees)|
|Annual Fee||$0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95 (See rates & fees)|
The Blue Cash Preferred Welcome Offer
Take advantage of the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express’ $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
To help you meet the spending requirement, here are some things you can do:
Earning & Redeeming Cash Back
The Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card has practical cash back reward categories. Users earn 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases and then receive 1% after.
Reaching the $6,000 maximum amount on this card totals $360 cash back within the year. That doesn’t include the rest of the categories. Unfortunately, major discount superstores and wholesale clubs like Walmart, Target, Sam’s and Costco are not included.
Then, at U.S. gas stations, cardholders earn 3% cash back. This bonus category isn’t capped. Thus, the earning power is also unlimited. This 3% return can really add up.
To add more value, you can earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions and 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
All other purchases earn 1% cash back. There’s also no limit on how much you can earn. Cash back rewards and bonuses earned will be in the form of statement credits.
- Purchase Protection: Items purchased with your card will receive purchase protections, return protection, and extended warranty.
- Travel Benefits: Get the proper coverage and protection when you travel with car rental loss and damage insurance, travel accident insurance, and roadside assistance hotline.
- Entertainment Access: Card members enjoy exclusive access to ticket pre-sales and member-only events to Broadway shows and concerts, family and sporting events, and much more.
- Terms Apply.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express comes with many standout benefits. They will protect your purchases, safeguard and help when you need it most.
Plus, they’ll connect you to fun and entertainment. Some restrictions apply with each benefit.
- Purchase Protection: Get an extra level of protection on your purchases. Enjoy purchase protection, extended warranty, return protection, and dispute resolution. If the manufacturers, retailers or service providers of your purchases can’t assist you, your card may be able to handle it.
- Amex Offers: Take advantage of these for opportunities to earn more points or statement credit. Just sign up at amexoffers.com, add offers to your card, and meet the requirements.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance: Use your card for your car rental, then experience coverage if it becomes damaged or stolen. Just decline the collision damage waiver when picking up the car.
- Roadside Assistance Hotline: Having car trouble is always a major inconvenience and is distressing. If you ever become stranded, you can get emergency services. These include towing, repairing a flat tire, battery charges to get back on the road.
- Global Assist Hotline: For unanticipated circumstances while traveling or if you have questions about where you’re traveling to, this program can help you. No matter if the situation is urgent or minor, call the Global Assist Hotline.
- Travel Accident Insurance: Plan ahead without expecting the worse to happen. Know that your family will be less affected financially.
- Destination Family: Get special travel discounts and benefits tailor made for families by American Express travel partners.
- Entertainment Access: Enjoy early access to pre-sale tickets and exclusive reserved seating to the latest events before they go on sale to the general public.
- Terms Apply.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers other benefits such as free extended warranty, purchase protection, and easy cashback redemption.
Don’t miss out on the chance. Review our complete list of credit card bonuses.