For individuals who have purchased electric or gas service from Viridian Energy, you may be entitled to payment from the class action settlement from the Viridian Energy Variable Rates Class Action Lawsuit. According to the lawsuit, Viridian’s variable rates were not tied to the wholesale price for energy. Instead, Viridian increased its rates to match spikes in the underlying market price and kept them at the increased level even when the wholesale energy prices dropped, resulting in customers paying inflated rates. So if you are eligible, file a claim by June 14, 2018 to receive your potential award!
Viridian Energy’s Lawsuit:
- Viridian Energy Variable Rates Claim Form
- Claim Form Deadline: June 14, 2018
- Who’s Eligible:
- Class Members of the Viridian settlement include all current and former Viridian customers enrolled in a variable rate plan between July 1, 2009 and Dec. 31, 2016.
- Eligible claimants fall into either the “Average Usage Class” or the “Above-Average Usage Class.”
- Average Usage Class: Includes customers with an average annual utilization rate of 25,000 or less kilowatt hours or 2,500 or less therms.
- Above-Average Usage Class: Includes customers with an average annual utilization rate of more than 25,000 kilowatt hours or more than 2,500 therms.
- Estimated Amount: $500
- Proof of Purchase: Claimants must provide a Class Member ID, which is located on the postcard or email notice that was sent to Class Members.
- Case Name & Number: Lori Sanborn, et al. v. Viridian Energy Inc., et al., Case No. 3:14-cv-01731-SRU, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
How To File a Claim:
- Head over to the Viridian Energy’s Variable Rates Claim Form
- Look over the claim form to see if you are eligible.
- Complete the claim form with your information.
- Submit your claim by June 14, 2018 to receive your potential award!
For individuals who enrolled in a variable rate plan with Viridian Energy between July 1, 2009 and Dec. 31, 2016, then you are eligible for a potential award from the Viridian Energy Variable Rates Class Action Lawsuit! According to the lawsuit, Viridian Energy did not follow the market price and made customers pay for an inflated price that did not match the wholesale energy price, thus violating the contract. Don’t forget to take a look at our full list of Class Action Lawsuit Settlements!