If you ask me what is the best side income job? I would say start a blog. Your blog could be about anything that you feel passionate about. That is the key. You want to enjoy what you write. Readers can tell that you are passionate about the subject matter and will come back because it’s good content.
Don’t be afraid. I don’t have the best grammar because of my ebonic writing style. U know wat I’m sayin’. Then again, that’s why some people like my writing style. Hustler style. They prob don’t care cuz they just come for the free money. That’s kool too.
Some people are afraid of anything technology wise. Believe me, it doesn’t take a genius to start a website. If you can sign up for a MySpace page, then you can create a website just like mine using wordpress.
Lets keep this real..the main reason I got into blogging is to make money. It has been over a year and I am still going strong. Is it time consuming? Yes. Am I making decent money from blogging? The answer is yes but more importantly, I enjoy writing about ways to make quick money every day. I’m passionate about what I’m writing and it shows in my posts everyday.
The question is, how do you start a blog? Believe me, I know absolutely nothing about it when I first join the craze. But if you have the time and patience, it would be a nice little income on the side. Here are my steps into starting a blog:
Buy a domain and find a reliable host
There are many host out there that offer free domain and cheap hosting solution. If you want to be serious, you need a domain of your own. It can be as low as $5 a month. They all have 30 days money back guarantee. Here are some of best hosts I found:
- Host Monster: Free Domain, Free Setup, Host Unlimited Domains $5.95
- Within your account, there should be a one click installer for WordPress. It’s a program that allows you to write and blog. There are many features within wordpress such as setting up your account, options, plugins, theme, blogroll, comments, etc. You can make many changes to your theme and monetizing your site.
- Google “free wordpress theme” and pick one that you like. Download it, and then upload it.
Pick a Topic
- Choosing a topic is very important. If you feel passionate about improving your personal finance, then by all means write about personal finance.
- When writing, consistency is the key. You don’t want to blog everyday for 2 months, then slack off for a week or two. Within your post, you can schedule in advance or make drafts for future articles.
Install WordPress Plugins
- I recommend the following plugins: Akismet, Google sitemap generator, Wp-Contact Form, WordPress database back-up, and Optimal tile. For more information on all plugsin, check out Staska.
Search Engine Optimization
- Start writing some good posts and visit other popular finance blogs to comments. Visit forums and leave your signature link back to your website. For crazy ideas on how to drive traffic, check out Dave Goldmaker’s top 40 tips.
- Continue to write and update daily on your blog, find popular topics to write about, and participate in carnivals and festivals on your subject matter.
- Ask other bloggers to add your link to their blogroll, and that you will return the favor.
- Now start thinking about monetizing. There are many monetizing ways you can do to your website. These include but not limited to: Google adsense, Text-link-ads, Chitika, Linkshare, Linkworth, Amazon affiliates, Kontera, and many more.
- Consider blog for money by using ReviewMe, payperpost, and blogvertise.
- Sign up for an account at feedburner.com to start your rss feed. Feedburner gives people to always remember your website. Content can be delivered by email and many other options.
Again, get a domain and pick a good host. It’s a good and cheap investment to make money in the long run. It will take time for people to know your website. As long as you are writing consistently and with good content, there is no doubt you will make money from blogging. Best of luck and leave a comment for a link on my blogroll if you are starting a website. You can read Rocketc’s success and how he got his inspiration.