Table of Contents
This content is not provided or commissioned by the issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer. This site may be compensated through the through our partnership with Citi. Learn more on our Advertising Policy.The Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students helps build credit while earning bonus and rewards along the way. It’s perfectly customized for students where the majority of spending will be in bonus categories of restaurants and entertainment. Save extra money with no annual fee and no interest on purchases during the introductory period. It’s a stepping stone towards establishing excellent credit for future milestones well beyond your student years.
Bonus & Rewards for Students
The Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students offers 2,500 bonus ThankYou Points after $500 in purchases within 3 months of account opening. If it’s a challenge satisfying the bonus spending requirement, try signing up at the beginning of the semester and use your card to pay for books, tuition, or supplies to easily meet the $500 in purchases. In addition to a bonus, the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students has a notable rewards program. There is no expiration and no limit to the amount of ThankYou Points you can earn. Look forward to redeeming your earned ThankYou Points for cash, travel, gift cards, merchandise, or even shopping at Amazon.com.
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent at restaurants including bars, clubs, and lounges and on select entertainment merchants including sporting events and games, concerts, movies, theater and live performance, theme parks, museums, zoos, and other attractions. Citi’s Private Pass is a feature college students will love and appreciate. Get special access to pre-sale tickets and VIP packages to concerts, music and live performance, games, and other events. This bonus category may sum up most college students’ spending which means more rewards at a faster rate.
- Earn 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases. You’ll be earning rewards every time you use your card.
The Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students offers 0% introductory APR for 7 months on purchases. After the introductory period, the variable APR will be 14.74% – 24.74%* based based on your credit. Save money by paying your monthly balance in full every month to avoid paying any interest. The Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students has no annual fee which is an additional savings of about $50 to $100 every year.
Establishing Excellent Credit
The Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students is a great choice for a first credit card. Use it to establish excellent credit and to get comfortable managing your personal finances. Achieving excellent credit ensures buying power and will save you money and heartache when making major purchases like a car or a home. Before signing up, understand how credit cards work and the importance of always abiding by the rules. If you’re unable to consistently follow these guidelines, you may not be ready for a credit card.
- Commit to a Budget – Take time to carefully review your income, formulate a monthly budget that is within your means, and commit to it. It’s extremely easy to simply use your card and make a purchase with every intention to pay later. Carelessly spending without a budget in mind can leave you with an overwhelmingly high balance, therefore, it takes discipline and self control when it comes to only buying what you need and not what you want on impulse. Your purchases each month should stay within your budget since you’ve predetermined that’s what you can afford.
- Pay Monthly Balances in Full and On Time – When you sign to accept the terms of a credit card, it becomes your full responsibility to make payments each month before the due date. Late payments will result in penalties including expensive late fees, high penalty rates, and dings against your credit score. Don’t get cornered in by debt which can quickly snow ball and get out of hand before you know it.
- Do Not Exceed Your Credit Limit – Maxing out on your credit card means you have more debt and no available credit which will reflect negatively on your credit report and credit score. Creditors will mark you as high risk for possible late payments and default or inability to pay. Exceeding your credit limit may also subject you to an overlimit fee. The goal is to always be in good standing and to prove to creditors that you’re low risk for delinquent activity and default.
Fantastic Student Card
The Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students gives students the opportunity to responsibly manage their credit and personal finances with incentives through bonus and rewards. It’s a fantastic student card with benefits equivalent to the best rewards cards. Review our complete list for more credit card bonus promotions.
Disclaimer: These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.