Scandinavian Airlines, also known as SAS, is the flag carrier of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The airline is a member of Star Alliance and connects to 109 destinations worldwide from Copenhagen Airport and to 106 destinations from Oslo Airport.
See our best credit card bonuses here.
If you’re a fan of this airline, check out their frequent flyer program EuroBonus. EuroBonus has won the Freddie Awards, the Oscars for frequent flyer programs, for six consecutive years. This program is known for their excellent customer service, website and member communications. Keep reading for a complete guide SAS EuroBonus.
Table of Contents
|Hubs||Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm|
|Redemption Options||Flights, upgrades, lounge access, hotel stays, merchandise, gift cards, donations|
|Cobranded Credit Card||None for U.S. residents|
The United ClubSM Infinite Card offers 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
• 4X miles per $1 spent on United purchases including tickets, Economy Plus, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges.
• 2X miles per $1 spent on all other travel
• 2X miles per $1 spent on dining including eligible delivery services
• 1X mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
This card does carry an annual fee of $525. However, you can get up to $100 Global Entry, TSA PreCheck or NEXUS fee credit. In addition, you'll get a savings of up to $320 per roundtrip (terms apply) by getting your first and second checked bags for free!
EuroBonus Elite Status
When you join EuroBonus, you’ll automatically become a Member. Move up status tiers when you collect enough Basic Points – by flying with SAS or Star Alliance- or take enough flights within a 12-month period
|Silver||20,000 Basic Points / 10 one-way flights|
|Gold||45,000 Basic Points / 45 one-way flights|
|Diamond||90,000 Basic Points / 90 one-way flights|
Once you unlock a tier, you’ll have that status for the next 12 months. Status benefits include:
|SAS Fast Track||x||x|
|Extra checked bags on SAS flights||1||2||2|
|Book regular trips for points with discount||5%||10%||30%|
|Better chances when bidding for upgrades via SAS Upgrade||10%||20%||30%|
|25% more Basic points on SAS & Wideroe||x||x|
|Star Alliance lounge access (for you and a guest)||x||x|
|Extra checked bags on Star Alliance flights||x||x|
|Priority baggage handling & boarding||x||x|
|Phone service 24/7||x||x|
|Select seat for free in advance||x||x|
|Guaranteed seat when you book 24/48 hours before departure||x||x|
|Give away Silver/Gold membership||Silver||Silver/Gold|
|No point expiry||x|
|Free drinks in SAS Go||x|
|Visit SAS Lounge upon arrival||x|
|No fee when booking bonus trips via SAS Customer Service||x|
*SA = Star Alliance
Earning EuroBonus Points
Earn EuroBonus Points for flying with SAS and partner airlines, including:
Stock up on EuroBonus Points for booking your stay at partner hotels:
- First Hotels
- Radisson Hotel Group
- Scandic Hotels
- Shangri-La Hotels
- Thon Hotels
You’ll also earn points for renting a car or getting transfers from the following partners:
- Dantaxi 4×48
- Flygbussarna Airport Coaches
Rack up even more points when you link your Visa, Mastercard or Amex card to your EuroBonus account and shop at participating stores.
Lastly, if you’re short on points, you can transfer or buy the missing points you need.
Redeeming EuroBonus Points
EuroBonus Points can be used for the following:
- Flights or upgrades with SAS, Wideroe and partner airlines within Star Alliance.
- Hotel stays via the EuroBonus Hotel portal, or book with Best Western, First Hotels, Park Inn by Radisson, Radisson Blue Hotels & Resorts, Scandic Hotels and Thon Hotels.
- Lounge access at Copenhagen Airport, Oslo Airport and Stockholm Arlanda (SAS Go travelers).
- Merchandise and gift cards via the EuroBonus shopping portal.
- Charitable donations.
EuroBonus Points are valid for five years. They expire at the end of the month when you first created your EuroBonus account.
EuroBonus Tips & Tricks
- One-way redemptions are allowed for 60% of the roundtrip cost
- You’ll earn points on flights paid with points and cash.
- The best value award is roundtrip tickets from Norway to Svalbard, the most accessible part of the polar region, for only 10,000 points.
- Worst value awards are between Europe and North America, in North America, and between North America and Hawaii.
If you’re looking for a foreign Star Alliance carrier, SAS is a great option to keep in mind. Earning points can be slow with EuroBonus since they don’t have any transfer partners or cobranded credit cards.
We recommend that you consider frequent flyer programs from other Star Alliance members like Air Canada Aeroplan, All Nippon Airways Mileage Club, or Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles. While you’re here on HMB, you can check out out our Best Travel Credit cards and learn how to earn even more bonus points and miles that you can use towards your future travels!