The USAA Rewards American Express Card has an offer for 2,500 bonus points when you make your first purchase with your card. The bonus points are worth about $25. The welcome bonus is fair considering the minimum spending requirement is actually pretty easy to achieve compared to other requirements on our list of credit cards.
The USAA Rewards American Express Card comes with 3x points on dining, 2x points on gas and groceries, and 1x points on all other purchases. This card also comes with no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and no limit on your rewards.
You will need to join USAA in order to qualify. If you aren't an active or former military member or a family member of one, you won't be eligible.
* You can also compare this USAA card with other credit card bonuses!
Table of Contents
USAA Rewards American Express Card Summary
|Bonus Available||Get 2,500 bonus points with your first purchase.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||Earn 3x points for dining out
Earn 2x points for gas and groceries
Earn 1x points on all other purchases
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No|
- No annual fee
- Bonus categories
- Military benefits
- No foreign transaction fees
- USAA membership required
- Modest welcome bonus
Editor's Alternate Pick
With the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express:
• Earn a $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
• 3% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%).
• 2% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
• Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%.
• You spoke, we listened. Over 1.6 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2018.
• Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
• No annual fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
USAA Rewards American Express Card 2,500 Bonus Points Offer
Be sure to take advantage of the USAA Rewards American Express Card bonus 2,500 bonus points offer. These points are valued to be around $25.
To qualify, simply charge one purchase to your card. Fortunately, there is no minimum spending requirement, so you can charge anything.
What are USAA Rewards Points Worth?
Like other points-based cards, the value of the points depends on how you use them. We value each USAA Rewards Point to be at around $.01.
Rewards points can be redeemed for:
- Airline Travel Reward — toward the purchase of an airline ticket.
- Merchandise and Gift Reward — for available merchandise and gift cards.
- Cash Reward — for cash credited to your Account or deposited to your USAA checking or savings account.
- Charitable Contribution Reward — for a donation to a participating charity.
- Cruise Travel Reward — toward the purchase of a cruise ticket.
Get the most out of your points by using them for airline or cruise tickets. Redeeming points through this method will give you a return of greater than of $0.01 per point if you can get the timing right. To see more promotions that USAA has, check out their Rewards Service Center on usaa.com.
USAA Rewards American Express Card Top Features
If you're an active duty member, you can qualify for various benefits such as:
- Deployment/PCS rate. Get a 4% APR (lower than the SCRA requires) on all balances for up to 12 months during deployments or PCS.
- Special SCRA rate. When you have a balance on your account at the time you enter active duty, get 4% APR on that existing balance until one year after you complete active duty.
- Access to deployment team. Knowledgeable staff can help you before, during and after deployment.
Make purchases abroad without worrying about foreign transaction fees with the USAA Military Affiliate Visa Signature card.
USAA Credit Card Eligibility
USAA is dedicated to serving the military as well as their families, so you must be affiliated with the military in order to apply for this card. This includes all of the following requirements:
- You are serving in the U.S. military or were honorably discharged.
- You are joining the U.S. military.
- Your parent is (or was) a USAA member.
- Your spouse is (or was) a USAA member.
- Your spouse served honorably in the U.S. military.
If you meet the requirements, you can join USAA for free.
The USAA Rewards American Express card is an great card to have if you are a service member who wants unlimited rewards on everyday spending. This card offers great points back on dining as well as gas and groceries. You will also earn points back on everyday purchases.
One of the only downsides of this card is that American Express is not as universally accepted as Visa is, so if you're going to a lot of places that don't take AMEX, you might want to look elsewhere.
However, if you're looking for a rewards card that will give you more points back, there are other credit cards that offers more than what the USAA Rewards American Express card is offering. But if you’re interested in posts like this, check out the latest American Express Credit Cards!
(Visit USAA to learn more about this card.)
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone.
What's the Competition?
With the Capital One® SavorOneSM Cash Rewards Credit Card:
• Earn a one-time $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
• Earn unlimited 3% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
• No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
• 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; 16.24% - 26.24% variable APR after that
• 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months; 16.24% - 26.24% variable APR after that; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months
• No foreign transaction fee
• No annual fee
With the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Card:
-One-time $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
-Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
-No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus, cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
-0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; 16.24%-26.24% variable APR after that
-0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months; 16.24%-26.24% variable APR after that; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months
-Pay no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
|Simple High-Yield Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account (Cashback Match)||$360 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|