Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is newly renovated to provide you the benefits for the frequent traveler who revels in the prestige and luxury the name affords. Right now, you can get 100,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.
Once your unlimited points accumulate, use them whenever you’re ready because your points don’t expire as long as you have this card. Pay with points for travel! Fly anytime, anywhere with no blackout dates or restrictions, or shop online on their website.
Table of Contents
The Platinum Card From American Express Summary
|Bonus Available||Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
$200 a calendar year in baggage fees and incidentals at your chosen airline.
Up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
Global Lounge Collection to more than 1,200 lounges across 130+ countries.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||None (see rates & fees)|
|Annual Fee||$695 (see rates & fees)|
The Platinum Card From American Express Welcome Offer
Take advantage of the 100,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
Compare the Platinum Card by American Express with its top competitor – the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
What are Membership Rewards Points Worth?
If you book flights with your points directly with an airline or American Express Travel, these points are worth 1¢ per point. Additionally, you can also redeem your points towards Uber rides since it will give you the same value!
But if you want more value per point, you can transfer your points over using the loyalty program. You can get up to 2¢ per point in value by using the transfer partners! The outcome will be rewarding, if you’re willing to search through different booking scenarios with different partners.
Amex Platinum Card Benefits
- Complimentary Statuses and Memberships: Get complementary Gold Elite Status at Hilton and Starwood hotels. Enjoy luxurious resorts and hotels at Hilton and Starwood. Earn bonus points for free nights faster. Also match your status to Marriott Gold status. Plus, get complimentary memberships in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, Avis Preferred, and National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive.
- Save on Companion Tickets: Enjoy savings on a companion ticket each time you purchase a qualifying Business Class or First Class international ticket with your card. Choose from over 25 participating airlines. Purchase the ticket through Platinum Travel Service or any American Express Travel office. Then, pay with your Platinum card. A $39 fee per ticket applies to your ticket, the companion ticket, each additional ticket, and itinerary change.
- 24/7 Concierge Service and Premium Access: Use this service to call and make reservations. Enjoy an exquisite dining experience with the Amex Platinum Dining Program. Also, Premium Access gets you advanced tickets and preferred seating to theater, concerts, sporting and family events.
- Complimentary Benefits at Fine Hotels & Resorts: When you stay at any of the 975+ Fine boutique, resort and luxury hotels around the world, you’ll receive benefits, such as upgrades, late check-out, and many more with an average total value of $550.
- Travel and Purchase Perks: Get travel accident insurance, car rental loss and damage insurance, roadside assistance, baggage insurance and more. Plus, get purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty. Terms and limitations apply.
- Amex Offers: As an American Express cardholder, you can participate in Amex Offers. This way, you can get more points and savings across select merchants. Just check your account weekly and add your desired available offers to your card. Then, go shop and you’re on your way to saving hundreds of dollars and earning tons of extra points.
- Terms Apply.
Concierge At Your Service
The Platinum Card® from American Express focuses on the highest level of customer service and assistance just about any time you need it. Ask any question or make any request for the professionals behind the card who may surprise you with what they can accomplish.
- Platinum Card Concierge – The Platinum Card Concierge can make special things happen. Representatives can help you plan ahead with the smallest of details or fulfill last minute requests like confirming a table at the most sought after restaurant that typically requires reservations made well in advance.
- Platinum Travel Service – The Platinum Card is tailored around traveling and it’s only fitting that agents are available to help plan and book your trips as part as their Platinum Travel Service. You’ll receive suggestions and recommendations specifically for your trip, whether it’s for business, a family vacation, or a much needed getaway.
- Premium Roadside Assistance – With Premium Roadside Assistance, you will always have help on the way. Receive 4 complimentary car services a year that includes towing of up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change, lockout service, and delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel.
- Premium Global Assist Hotline – Get help 24/7 where ever you need it with Premium Global Assist Hotline. Even if you’re across the globe in a country that does not speak your language, you’ll have access to medical, legal, and financial help.
- Card Member Services – Also available 24/7 is Card Member Services to help with your Platinum Card from American Express. Representatives will be able to replace missing cards or can answer questions about your account.
- Terms Apply.
Although at initial glance the annual fee seems a little hefty, the benefits offered justify the cost.
If you’re on the market for a travel card with all the bells and whistles, The Platinum Card® from American Express is the one.
Eligibility and Benefit level varies by Card. Terms, Conditions and Limitations Apply.
Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details.
Underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.