Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is newly renovated to provide you the well-known premier charge card for the frequent traveler who revels in the prestige and luxury the name affords. Right now, you can get 60,000 Membership Rewards bonus points after you spend $5,000 in first 3 months of card issuance.
Cardholders earn 5X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. In addition, you also get up to $200 Uber savings each year with this card!
Once your unlimited points accumulate, use them whenever you're ready because your points don't expire as long as you have this card. Pay with points for travel! Fly anytime, anywhere with no blackout dates or restrictions, or shop online on their website.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Table of Contents
- 1 American Express Platinum Card Summary
- 2 Why You Should Apply for This Card
- 3 Earning & Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
- 4 Amex Platinum Card Travel Benefits
- 5 Other Amex Platinum Card Benefits
- 6 Travel With Amazing Benefits
- 7 Stay at the Finest
- 8 Concierge At Your Service
- 9 Travel, Events, Shop, Connect, & More
- 10 Bottom Line
American Express Platinum Card Summary
With the The Platinum Card® from American Express:
• Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
• Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
• 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
• Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
• Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
• $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
• Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
• $550 annual fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Why You Should Apply for This Card
Welcome Offer: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months. Make sure you enroll in the Membership Rewards program as soon as you receive your card.
Up to $200 Annual Credit for Uber: This perk allows you to enjoy $15 in Uber credits for rides each month. In addition, you'll receive an extra bonus of $20 every December with your Platinum Card Membership. That means, you can earn up to $200 in credits to use annually. Note that the credit may only be applied to rides within the U.S. and credit and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Members only.
Earning & Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
Earn 5X Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on flights booked directly with airlines, Amextravel.com Hotel Bookings, or with American Express Travel. On all other eligible purchases, earn 1X Membership Rewards points per $1 spent.
You can accumulate an unlimited amount of points and use them when you're ready because they don't expire. Pay with points for travel – fly anytime, anywhere with no blackout dates or restrictions, or shop online on their website.
If you're short on points and you can't wait to redeem a certain reward, you can purchase extra points. Plus, you can transfer your points to over a dozen frequent traveler programs. Some include Delta, JetBlue, Hilton, Best Western, and Starwood.
Amex Platinum Card Travel Benefits
$200 Airline Fee Credit: Receive $200 Airline Fee Credit per calendar year toward baggage fees and more. Enroll and choose a qualifying airline at the American Express Airline Choice landing page. Incidental air travel fees must be charged to your enrolled card account for the benefit to apply. These can be baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food and drinks, and airport lounge day pass. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not incidental fees.
Complementary Lounge Access: Unlock access to more than 1,000 airport lounges across 120 countries and counting with the American Express Global Lounge Collection. This includes Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass lounges, and Delta Sky Clubs. However, you must first enroll in the Priority Pass Select Program. With this, you don't even need to fly first class to enjoy everything an airport club offers. Get plush sofas, complimentary food and drinks, upscale washrooms, internet, and more. Each guest you bring will be $27 per guest.
Free Credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Every 4 years, receive $100 fee credit for Global Entry or an $85 fee credit for TSA Precheck for the application fees on your statement. Just pay the fee using your Amex Platinum Card. You'll get through the airport lines quicker with these benefits. The application process takes some time, and generally includes at least one interview. But it is absolutely worth it if you frequently travel outside of the U.S. Plus, you're getting your cost covered.
No Foreign Transaction Fees: Use your card outside of the U.S. without the hassle of paying a foreign transaction fee.
Other Amex Platinum Card Benefits
Complimentary Statuses and Memberships: Get complementary Gold Elite Status at Hilton and Starwood hotels. Enjoy luxurious resorts and hotels at Hilton and Starwood. Earn bonus points for free nights faster. Also match your status to Marriott Gold status. Plus, get complimentary memberships in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, Avis Preferred, and National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive.
Save on Companion Tickets: Enjoy savings on a companion ticket each time you purchase a qualifying Business Class or First Class international ticket with your card. Choose from over 25 participating airlines. Purchase the ticket through Platinum Travel Service or any American Express Travel office. Then, pay with your Platinum card. A $39 fee per ticket applies to your ticket, the companion ticket, each additional ticket, and itinerary change.
24/7 Concierge Service and Premium Access: Use this service to call and make reservations. Enjoy an exquisite dining experience with the Amex Platinum Dining Program. Also, Premium Access gets you advanced tickets and preferred seating to theater, concerts, sporting and family events.
Complimentary Benefits at Fine Hotels & Resorts: When you stay at any of the 975+ Fine boutique, resort and luxury hotels around the world, you'll receive benefits, such as upgrades, late check-out, and many more with an average total value of $550.
Travel and Purchase Perks: Get travel accident insurance, car rental loss and damage insurance, roadside assistance, baggage insurance and more. Plus, get purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty. Terms and limitations apply.
Amex Offers: As an American Express credit card, you can participate in Amex Offers. This way, you can get more points and savings across select merchants. Just check your account weekly and add your desired available offers to your card. Then, go shop and you’re on your way to saving hundreds of dollars and earning tons of extra points.
Travel With Amazing Benefits
- Complementary Amex Lounge Access: Enjoy complimentary access to over 1,000 airport lounges in over 120 countries! Get into The Centurion lounge network, the International American Express lounges, Delta Sky Clubs, and Airspace Lounges. It's a swell opportunity to relax and enjoy a fine meal. In addition to lounge access, you also get enrolled in Priority Pass Select!
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: With the Amex Platinum, checking in a bag isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg. You'll receive $200 airline fee credit every year. Thus, any purchases with a qualifying airline will be eligible for you to receive statement credit up to that amount.
- $200 Uber Savings Annually: Link your Amex Platinum card with your Uber account. Earn up to $200 Uber savings each year! Now is the time to save and take advantage of Uber ride-share!
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck: With TSA PreCheck and Global Entry, you can bypass crazy lines during busy airport times. Just apply for one, pay with this card, and receive statement credit in the amount of your application cost. It'll save you time if you're running late!
- The Hotel Collection Benefits: Book your stay with American Express Travel. Stay there a minimum of 2 consecutive nights to receive a room upgrade, if it's available. You also get $75 hotel credit at the place to spend on qualifying dining, spa and resort activities. It's definitely great if you didn't get an enjoyable flight meal or if you're exhausted and need some relaxation.
Stay at the Finest
The Platinum Card® from American Express connects members to outstanding hotel and resort properties with the finest benefits exclusively from American Express and its partners. With each hotel or resort stay, the value of your card will continue to add up.
- Fine Hotels & Resorts – American Express has collaborated with distinguished hotels worldwide as part of their Fine Hotels & Resorts Program. Use your Platinum card to book any of these hotels to enjoy amazing benefits where available like early noon check-in, room upgrade upon arrival, breakfast for two every morning, free wifi, and late 4pm checkout to name a few.
- The Hotel Collection – Book your hotel stay through American Express's Hotel Collection and earn 2x Membership Rewards points for every $1. The lowest rate for your room is guaranteed and you can use your card and/or points to book your room. Stay 2 or more consecutive nights to receive $75 in hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities within the property. Also receive room upgrades if available.
- Gold Status with Hotel Partners – The Platinum Card from American Express comes with automatic Starwood Preferred Guest and Hilton HHonors Gold member statuses which isn't even offered from their own branded hotel cards(except Hilton HHonors Reserve Card). Gold member status with both hotel partners will earn you more reward points and extra hotel benefits like you complimentary room upgrades and wifi, late check out, and even free nights at Hilton properties.
Concierge At Your Service
The Platinum Card® from American Express focuses on the highest level of customer service and assistance just about any time you need it. Ask any question or make any request for the professionals behind the card who may surprise you with what they can accomplish.
- Platinum Card Concierge – The Platinum Card Concierge can make special things happen. Representatives can help you plan ahead with the smallest of details or fulfill last minute requests like confirming a table at the most sought after restaurant that typically requires reservations made well in advance.
- Platinum Travel Service – The Platinum Card is tailored around traveling and it's only fitting that agents are available to help plan and book your trips as part as their Platinum Travel Service. You'll receive suggestions and recommendations specifically for your trip, whether it's for business, a family vacation, or a much needed getaway.
- Premium Roadside Assistance – With Premium Roadside Assistance, you will always have help on the way. Receive 4 complimentary car services a year that includes towing of up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change, lockout service, and delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel.
- Premium Global Assist Hotline – Get help 24/7 where ever you need it with Premium Global Assist Hotline. Even if you're across the globe in a country that does not speak your language, you'll have access to medical, legal, and financial help.
- Card Member Services – Also available 24/7 is Card Member Services to help with your Platinum Card from American Express. Representatives will be able to replace missing cards or can answer questions about your account.
Travel, Events, Shop, Connect, & More
The Platinum Card® from American Express includes even more benefits and features that makes it one of the best cards to travel with. Below are a few that are noteworthy with more left to be mentioned.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees and Purchase & Travel Benefits – There are no foreign transaction fees when making purchases outside the U.S. Make any purchase with your Platinum card to get return protection, extended warranty, purchase protection. More travel benefits include baggage insurance and travel accident insurance.
- Car Rental Privileges and Loss & Damage Insurance – Receive discounts, upgrades, and complimentary membership with Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental for luxury car rentals. Also get rental coverage for loss and damage when you use your Platinum to pay for the rental and decline the collision damage waiver during pick up. There are exclusions and restrictions that may apply.
- Entertainment & Events – The Platinum Card from American Express comes with exclusive entertainment and event programs that includes By Invitation Only, Preferred Seating, Membership Experiences, and Platinum Dining. At your fingertips are early access to the best seating to a memorable affair with any of these programs.
- Boingo WiFi – Receive unlimited complimentary Boingo WiFi internet service on up to 4 devices. You must enroll and create an American Express Preferred Plan account to get access to over 1 million hotpots worldwide. You'll stay connected any where you go.
Although at initial glance the $550 annual fee seems a little hefty, the benefits offered justify the cost.
To start, as a cardholder you get complimentary benefits with every stay at more than 700 luxurious hotels around the world! Just book through Platinum Travel Service. Plus, get a free companion ticket with the purchase of a qualifying international Business Class ticket when you book with Platinum Travel Service.
Additionally, receive roadside assistance coverage that amounts up to $200. You also get to enjoy $200 Uber savings annually. Plus, with $200 airline fee credit, that's already a total savings of $400 in benefits alone!
Not to overlook, there are tons of other perks. Some include purchase and return protection, extended purchase warranty, travel/bag/car insurance, and access to the Platinum concierge service. If you're on the market for a travel card with all the bells and whistles, The Platinum Card® from American Express is the one.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
|Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card||80,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Ink Business CashSM Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®||3% Cash Back||Review|
|UnitedSM Explorer Business Card||50,000 Miles||Review|
|ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®||$150 Cash||Review|