Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is newly renovated to provide you the benefits for the frequent traveler who revels in the prestige and luxury the name affords. Right now, you can get 100,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.
Cardholders earn 5X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. In addition, you also get up to $200 Uber savings each year with this card!
Once your unlimited points accumulate, use them whenever you’re ready because your points don’t expire as long as you have this card. Pay with points for travel! Fly anytime, anywhere with no blackout dates or restrictions, or shop online on their website.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Table of Contents
American Express Platinum Card Summary
|Bonus Available||Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.|
|Travel Credit||$200 a calendar year in baggage fees and incidentals at your chosen airline.
Up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||10X points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||None (see rates & fees)|
|Airport Lounge Access||Global Lounge Collection to more than 1,200 lounges across 130+ countries.|
|Annual Fee||$695 (see rates & fees)|
The Platinum Card Welcome Offer
Take advantage of the 100,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Compare the Platinum Card by American Express with its top competitor – the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
What are Membership Rewards Points Worth?
If you book flights with your points directly with an airline or American Express Travel, these points are worth 1¢ per point. Additionally, you can also redeem your points towards Uber rides since it will give you the same value!
You can also check out other redemption options, but note that they are at a lower value:
|Redemption Method||Value Per Point|
|Paying off a charge||.6 ¢|
|Shopping on Amazon||.7 ¢|
|Booking Flights with Points||1 ¢|
|Booking Hotels with Points||.75¢|
|Transfer Points||1.2 ¢|
But if you want more value per point, you can transfer your points over using the loyalty program. You can get up to 2¢ per point in value by using the transfer partners! The outcome will be rewarding, if you’re willing to search through different booking scenarios with different partners.
Platinum Card Top Features
Get 5 points per $1 spent on flights book directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, as well as 5 points per $1 on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com
The need to book your hotels through the ametravel website may prove a little inconvenient, as you often be giving up discounted rates from travel engines for these rewards points.
Flights booked directly through airlines is rarely more expensive than through travel search engines, they’re usually $1 or so in savings.
This is one of the best benefit of a premium travel card, but you’ll only have access to Delta Sky Club locations, given that you have a flight with the airlines.
The Platinum Card does have an advantage over its competition with access to the Centurion airport lounges, which has more luxury than most standard lounges. International american Express lounges and Airspace lounges are also included with this access benefit.
You’ll have access too all the 1,200+ lounges included in the Priority Pass Select program just like you would with the Citi Prestige Credit Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve. This is equal to the Prestige membership plan that can cost you more than $400 when purchases on the Priority Pass site.
One benefit to the Platinum Card and is one that has made many card-seekers pick this as their premium card of choice. One restriction is that the credits can only be used for Uber rides in the United States. Please note that it’s not $200 in credits that you can use anytime throughout the year. Rather it’s $15 in credits monthly with an extra $20 in bonus credits for the month of December. This is a unique benefit addition from American Express.
With the Amex Platinum, checking in a bag isn’t going to cost you an arm and a leg. You’ll receive $200 airline fee credit every year. Thus, any purchases with a qualifying airline will be eligible for you to receive statement credit up to that amount.
The Platinum Card from American Express comes with automatic Starwood Preferred Guest and Hilton Honors Gold member statuses which isn’t even offered from their own branded hotel cards(except Hilton HHonors Reserve Card). Gold member status with both hotel partners will earn you more reward points and extra hotel benefits like you complimentary room upgrades and wifi, late check out, and even free nights at Hilton properties.
Just like with the hotel Gold status upgrades, you can choose to manually enroll in elite status with several car rental agencies. This includes Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive, and Avis Preferred status.
Use your card outside of the U.S. without the hassle of paying a foreign transaction fee.
Other Amex Platinum Card Benefits
- Complimentary Statuses and Memberships: Get complementary Gold Elite Status at Hilton and Starwood hotels. Enjoy luxurious resorts and hotels at Hilton and Starwood. Earn bonus points for free nights faster. Also match your status to Marriott Gold status. Plus, get complimentary memberships in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, Avis Preferred, and National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive.
- Save on Companion Tickets: Enjoy savings on a companion ticket each time you purchase a qualifying Business Class or First Class international ticket with your card. Choose from over 25 participating airlines. Purchase the ticket through Platinum Travel Service or any American Express Travel office. Then, pay with your Platinum card. A $39 fee per ticket applies to your ticket, the companion ticket, each additional ticket, and itinerary change.
- 24/7 Concierge Service and Premium Access: Use this service to call and make reservations. Enjoy an exquisite dining experience with the Amex Platinum Dining Program. Also, Premium Access gets you advanced tickets and preferred seating to theater, concerts, sporting and family events.
- Complimentary Benefits at Fine Hotels & Resorts: When you stay at any of the 975+ Fine boutique, resort and luxury hotels around the world, you’ll receive benefits, such as upgrades, late check-out, and many more with an average total value of $550.
- Travel and Purchase Perks: Get travel accident insurance, car rental loss and damage insurance, roadside assistance, baggage insurance and more. Plus, get purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty. Terms and limitations apply.
- Amex Offers: As an American Express cardholder, you can participate in Amex Offers. This way, you can get more points and savings across select merchants. Just check your account weekly and add your desired available offers to your card. Then, go shop and you’re on your way to saving hundreds of dollars and earning tons of extra points.
- Terms Apply.
Concierge At Your Service
The Platinum Card® from American Express focuses on the highest level of customer service and assistance just about any time you need it. Ask any question or make any request for the professionals behind the card who may surprise you with what they can accomplish.
- Platinum Card Concierge – The Platinum Card Concierge can make special things happen. Representatives can help you plan ahead with the smallest of details or fulfill last minute requests like confirming a table at the most sought after restaurant that typically requires reservations made well in advance.
- Platinum Travel Service – The Platinum Card is tailored around traveling and it’s only fitting that agents are available to help plan and book your trips as part as their Platinum Travel Service. You’ll receive suggestions and recommendations specifically for your trip, whether it’s for business, a family vacation, or a much needed getaway.
- Premium Roadside Assistance – With Premium Roadside Assistance, you will always have help on the way. Receive 4 complimentary car services a year that includes towing of up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change, lockout service, and delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel.
- Premium Global Assist Hotline – Get help 24/7 where ever you need it with Premium Global Assist Hotline. Even if you’re across the globe in a country that does not speak your language, you’ll have access to medical, legal, and financial help.
- Card Member Services – Also available 24/7 is Card Member Services to help with your Platinum Card from American Express. Representatives will be able to replace missing cards or can answer questions about your account.
- Terms Apply.
Travel, Events, Shop, Connect, & More
The Platinum Card® from American Express includes even more benefits and features that makes it one of the best cards to travel with. Below are a few that are noteworthy with more left to be mentioned.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees and Purchase & Travel Benefits – There are no foreign transaction fees when making purchases outside the U.S. Make any purchase with your Platinum card to get return protection, extended warranty, purchase protection. More travel benefits include baggage insurance and travel accident insurance.
- Car Rental Privileges and Loss & Damage Insurance – Receive discounts, upgrades, and complimentary membership with Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental for luxury car rentals. Also get rental coverage for loss and damage when you use your Platinum to pay for the rental and decline the collision damage waiver during pick up. There are exclusions and restrictions that may apply.
- Entertainment & Events – The Platinum Card from American Express comes with exclusive entertainment and event programs that includes By Invitation Only, Preferred Seating, Membership Experiences, and Platinum Dining. At your fingertips are early access to the best seating to a memorable affair with any of these programs.
- Boingo WiFi – Receive unlimited complimentary Boingo WiFi internet service on up to 4 devices. You must enroll and create an American Express Preferred Plan account to get access to over 1 million hotpots worldwide. You’ll stay connected any where you go.
- Terms Apply.
Although at initial glance the annual fee seems a little hefty, the benefits offered justify the cost.
To start, as a cardholder you get complimentary benefits with every stay at more than 700 luxurious hotels around the world! Just book through Platinum Travel Service. Plus, get a free companion ticket with the purchase of a qualifying international Business Class ticket when you book with Platinum Travel Service.
Additionally, receive roadside assistance coverage that amounts up to $200. You also get to enjoy $200 Uber savings annually. Plus, with $200 airline fee credit, that’s already a total savings of $400 in benefits alone!
Not to overlook, there are tons of other perks. Some include purchase and return protection, extended purchase warranty, travel/bag/car insurance, and access to the Platinum concierge service. If you’re on the market for a travel card with all the bells and whistles, The Platinum Card® from American Express is the one.