Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers $250 back in statement credits after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
Cardholders earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions and 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
In addition, you an earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations; all other purchases earn 1% cash back.
With the 6% reward rate on qualifying groceries, a family really only needs to spend $25 a week on groceries to make up for the annual fee. Unlike the Chase Freedom or Discover it, there are no rotating reward categories and no enrollment required.
Table of Contents
Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express Summary
With the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express:
• Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
• Earn 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
• Earn 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
• 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
• Over 1.6 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2018.
• Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%
• $95 annual fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Earning & Redeeming Cash Back
The Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card has practical cash back reward categories. Users earn 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases and then receive 1% after.
Reaching the $6,000 maximum amount on this card totals $360 cash back within the year. That doesn’t include the rest of the categories. Unfortunately, major discount superstores and wholesale clubs like Walmart, Target, Sam’s and Costco are not included.
Then, at U.S. gas stations, cardholders earn 3% cash back. This bonus category isn’t capped. Thus, the earning power is also unlimited. This 3% return can really add up.
To add more value, you can earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions and 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
All other purchases earn 1% cash back. There’s also no limit on how much you can earn. Cash back rewards and bonuses earned will be in the form of statement credits.
- Purchase Protection: Items purchased with your card will receive purchase protections, return protection, and extended warranty.
- Travel Benefits: Get the proper coverage and protection when you travel with car rental loss and damage insurance, travel accident insurance, and roadside assistance hotline.
- Entertainment Access: Card members enjoy exclusive access to ticket pre-sales and member-only events to Broadway shows and concerts, family and sporting events, and much more.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers other benefits such as free extended warranty, purchase protection, and easy cashback redemption. Don’t miss out on the chance. Review our complete list of credit card bonuses.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
|Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card||80,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Ink Business CashSM Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card||$200 Cash||Review|
|Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card||30K Points||Review|
|Chase Freedom®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®||3% Cash Back||Review|
|UnitedSM Explorer Business Card||50,000 Miles||Review|
|ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®||$150 Cash||Review|