Finnair is the flag carrier of Finland and a part of the Oneworld alliance. The airline flew almost 12 million passengers to over 100 European, 20 Asian and 7 North American destinations in the year 2017. Finnair is famous for its safety, having experienced no fatal or hull-loss accidents since 1963.
Finnair’s loyalty program, Finnair Plus, makes it possible for members to earn and spend points on flights, upgrades and other experiences with the carrier and its partners. Continue reading below to learn more about Finnair’s frequent flyer program.
Table of Contents
Finnair Plus Summary
|Redemption Options||Flights, upgrades, lounge access, merchandise, gift cards, dining, entertainment|
|Average Mile Value|
Finnair Plus Elite Status
Joining Finnair Plus will automatically give you status as a Basic member and begin your one-year tracking period. You can move up status tiers when you collect enough tier points or take enough flights with Finnair and other Oneworld member airlines, within your 12-month tracking period.
|STATUS TIER||POINTS/FLIGHTS REQUIRED|
|Silver||30,000 points / 20 flights|
|Gold||80,000 points / 46 flights|
|Platinum||150,000 points / 76 flights|
|Platinum LUMO||450,000 points / 150 Oneworld flights*|
*At least 350,000 points earned from Finnair flights or at least 100 flights flown with Finnair.
Your status benefits unlock the moment you reach a tier until the end of the next full membership year.
|One extra bag on Finnair and Norra flights||x||x||x||x|
|One extra bag on Oneworld flights||x||x||x|
|One set of sports equipment on Finnair flights||x||x||x|
|Business Class check-in or
Priority First Class for Oneworld
|Security priority lane||x||x||x||x|
|Finnair Lounge||€25 or
|+ 1 guest||+ 1 guest||+ 1 guest|
|Oneworld First Class Lounge||+ 1 guest||+ 1 guest|
|Priority baggage handling||x||x||x|
|Internet on intercontinental flights||60 mins||x||x|
|Internet on European flights||30 mins||30 mins||x|
|Confirmed seat in Business Class
for European flights
|Confirmed seat in Economy Class
for intercontinental or European flights
|Business Class upgrades on intercontinental flights||2 one-way||4 one-way|
|Business Class upgrades on European flights||4 one-way||4 one-way||8 one-way|
|Family members’ travel class upgrades||x||x|
|Tier-specific Finnair Plus customer service number||x||x||x|
|Tier-specific Finnair Plus customer service number||x||x|
|Giveaway Gold card||x||x|
|Waiting list priority according to tier level||x||x||x||x|
|Ability to transfer, exchange or buy points||x||x||x||x|
|Increased tier point accrual on Finnair flights||+10%||+15%||+25%||+25%|
Earning Finnair Plus Points
Earn Finnair Plus Points from scheduled flights with Finnair and other Oneworld airlines. The amount of points earned for a flight depends on region and ticket type or booking class.
Oneworld airlines include:
- Royal Jordanian
- S7 Airlines
- SriLankan Airlines
- TAM Airlines
Other partner airlines include Alaska Airlines, Braathens Regional Airlines and Juneyao Air.
You can also earn points when you travel or shop with Finnair Plus partners.
- Hotels, including Booking.com, Rocketmiles, IHG and more.
- Car rentals and transportation, such as Rentalcars.com, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, Europcar and more.
- Travel with Finnair Holidays, Silversea Cruises and more.
- At Helsinki Airport, by exchanging currencies at Change Group, parking at GoParking and Lentoparkki, or shopping at Lindroos and Moomin Shop.
- Shopping fashion, business and travel at Belizia.
Earning Finnair Plus Points with American Express Membership Rewards
As a United States citizen, the easiest way to earn Qantas Points is by transferring your Amex Membership Rewards points at a 5:4 ratio. Credit cards that earn Amex Membership Rewards include:
|Personal Credit Cards||The Platinum Card from American Express
American Express Gold Card
American Express Green Card
|Business Credit Cards||The Business Platinum Card from American Express
American Express Business Gold Card
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 80,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
This card comes with an annual fee of $695 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only. Terms Apply.
The American Express® Gold Card offers 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
• 4X Membership Rewards Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.,
• 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
• 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
$120 Dining Credit: Satisfy your cravings and earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the American Express Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
Earn 4X Membership Rewards(R) Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S., and earn 4X Membership Rewards(R) points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
Earn 3X Membership Rewards(R) points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome offer of 120,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
• 1.5X Membership Rewards points on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
• 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases
• Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases, including tech, recruiting and wireless with the Business Platinum Card.
• $200 Airline Fee Credit: Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Card or any of the Additional Cards on your Platinum Card account.
• $189 CLEAR Credit: CLEAR uses biometrics to assign you a touchless ID, allowing you to move faster through security at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. You can cover the cost of a CLEAR membership with up to $189 in statement credits per calendar year after you pay for CLEAR with your Business Platinum Card.
This card does come with a $695 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees)
The American Express® Business Gold Card offers 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn more rewards: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month** (**4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*). In addition, you'll get an airline bonus; 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.*
This card does carry a $295 annual fee, but no foreign transaction fees. (See Rates & Fees)
Other transfer partners include:
Redeeming Finnair Plus Points
Finnair Plus Points expire after 18 months of inactivity. In order to keep your account active, you need to earn or burn points at least every year and a half.
Use your Finnair Plus Points for flights with Finnair:
- Classic award flights, starting from 10,000 points
- Any Seat reservations (combination of points and cash)
Redeem your Finnair Plus Points for vouchers to access the Finnair Business Lounge at Helsinki Airport. This offer is only available when your flight departs during off-peak hours.
Additionally, you can use your points for the following travel extras:
- Seat selection
- Economy Comfort seats
- Extra baggage
- In-flight meals, shopping and WiFi
- Hotels and car rentals
- Airport transfers
- Travel agency vouchers
- Cancellation cover and travel insurance
Redeem your Finnair Plus Points for:
- Dining vouchers at Royal Restaurants, Restaurant Hugo, Restaurant Sue Ellen, Mamma Rosa, Pastis and more.
- Wellness and service vouchers for Helsinki Day Spa, HaliPuu and more.
- Entertainment, like events, movie tickets, museum cards and more.
- Shopping vouchers at Neste, MatHem, Belizia, Smartbox and more.
- Sports and leisure, such as ski cards and golfing.
- Charitable donations to UNICEF, UN Women and more.
Finnair Plus Tips & Tricks
Oneworld Round-the-World awards. These are massive, multi-stop itineraries that include two or more Oneworld airlines without Finnair, or three or more airlines with Finnair. It costs 240,000 Finnair Plus Points in economy or 340,000 points in business.
Upgrade discounted Finnair Tickets between Finland and North America or Asia for just 50,000 points. There’s no minimum fare class required to upgrade, so if you booked a dirt cheap economy ticket, you can upgrade your flight for a fairly reasonable price.
Other good redemptions include:
All of the above are for roundtrip itineraries.
Finnar Plus Family&Friends allows you to create a group with up to nine other Finnair Plus members. With this feature you are able to pool your Finnair Plus points and transfer them to one another, free of charge.
The admin of the group can set travel goals, invite and remove members, and rename and delete the group. There is a limit of one admin at a time.
Although Finnair’s Finnair Plus isn’t the most popular airline loyalty program out there among U.S. residents, it does offer an easy way to “earn” points by transferring from popular rewards programs, such as American Express Membership Rewards, Accor Live Limitless, Hilton Honor, or Radisson Rewards.