The American Express® Gold Card is offering 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply. Membership Rewards are one of the most valuable.
You can now get up to $100 a year for incidental fees with your selected airline. Cardholders earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants.
Also earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). Then, earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
You can use points for gift cards for dining, entertainment, and to shop over 500 of some of your favorite brands.
Table of Contents
American Express Gold Card Summary
|Bonus Available||60,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 within 6 months. Terms apply.|
|Dining Credit||$120 annually with dining partners (up to $10 monthly)|
|Airline Fee Credit||N/A|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||Earn 4X Membership Rewards points at restaurants, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
Earn 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
$120 Uber Cash: Get $10 in Uber Cash each month for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. when you add your Gold Card to your account.
$120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly. Enrollment required.
Earn 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No (see rates & fees)|
|Annual Fee||$250 (see rates & fees)|
Amex Gold Card Welcome Offer
Take advantage of the 60,000 Membership Rewards Points from the American Express Gold Card. To qualify for this offer, you must spend at least $4,000 on eligible purchases with your card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
Amex Gold Card Vs. Premier Rewards Gold Card
The new Gold Card from American Express is refreshed and does a lot of things better than its predecessor. Below we have a table listing all of the new features of the Gold Card and the only category it doesn’t improve on is U.S. gas stations.
|Rewards Category||American Express Gold Card||Premier Rewards Gold Card (Old Version)|
|Restaurants||4x||2x at U.S. Restaurants Only|
|U.S. Supermarkets||4x, capped at $25,000 per calendar year||2x|
|U.S. Gas Stations||1x||2x|
|Airfare Purchased Directly From Airlines or on amextravel.com||3x||3x|
As you can tell from the table above, the American Express Gold Card can earn you a large amount of points on restaurants and U.S. supermarket spending. So if you have plans to travel, then this is a great card to use on restaurants while you’re abroad. However, I do not recommend you use this card as your primary travel card because of its limited acceptance.
Redeeming Your Points
The Amex Gold Card gives you the ability to transfer your earned Membership Rewards points to 20+ travel partners. This allows you to possibly earn higher class flights with various airlines and routes.
The best part about transferring your points to a partner is that it will generally earn you more value for your points. You have the chance to get up to 2 cents per point with this method. For example, 50,000 Membership Rewards points can have an average value of $1,000.
Also, you have the ability to redeem your points towards statement credits, Amazon purchases, gift cards and more.
Why You Should Apply For This Card
$120 Annual Dining Credit: Now that this card is more focused on dining, this $120 credit can be great to use towards dining. Especially if you use the Gold Card for purchases at participating dining partners including Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed and participating Shake Shack stores.
Membership Rewards Benefits: Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Purchase Protection. If you bought something within 90 days with your card that got lost, stolen, or accidentally damaged, American Express will pay to repair or replace it. This benefit is available for up to $1,000 per claim and $50,000 per year.
- Extended Warranty. You typically get 1 or 2 years of warranty for buying appliances or electronics from the manufacturer. Use your Premier Rewards Gold Card and get an additional year of extended warranty for the items you purchased. This benefit is available for items that have 5 years or less of warranty.
- Return Protection. Stores can simply refuse to take your returns without a receipt or find an excuse to do so. However, buy it with your Gold Rewards Card and American Express may refund the full purchase price within 90 days of purchase. This benefit is available for up to $300 per eligible item and up to $1,000 annually.
- Hotel Collection Benefits. Book at least two consecutive nights with your card at Amex Hotel Collection site. Then, get up to $75 hotel credit such as dining, spa purchases, and resort activities. Terms and limitations apply.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance. Pay with your Gold Rewards Card and get secondary collision coverage on eligible car rentals when you pay with your Gold Card. Plus you also get the 24/7 roadside assistance.
- Luggage Insurance and Travel Accident Insurance. Get luggage insurance up to $1,250 for carry-ons and $500 for checked luggage if they get lost, stolen, or damaged (on common carrier tickets). Then, get up to $100,000 in travel accident insurance at no additional cost for all eligible common carrier travel. Both benefits are available to you as long as you paid with your Gold Rewards Card.
- Global Assist Hotline and Fast Card Replacement. American Express offers emergency assistance 24/7 for access to emergency cash, help with your passport, get a lost card replaced quickly, referrals to medical providers, and much more.
Other benefits include Roadside Assistance for up to 4X a year. It includes complimentary 24/7 towing up to 10 miles, jump starts, fuel delivery up to 2 gallons, and lock-out service anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Get extra perks and upgrades to special events and exclusive tickets to in-demand concerts. You can also use the Membership Rewards program to transfer points to select airlines and hotels programs at a 1-to-1 basis. Some popular programs include Starwood Preferred Guess, Hilton Honors, British Airways, Virgin America, Delta Skymiles, and much more.
The American Express® Gold Card offers many benefits and features with high rewards on spending! This highly rated card from American Express is a favorite among the traveling community.
Apply online now and you will get a response within minutes. Don’t forget the annual fee for this card, which seems high, but the benefits far outweigh this fee! See our full list of Credit Card Promotions.
If you’re looking for an interest bearing account, Amex offers a fantastic savings account that earns a competitive rate.