The American Express® Business Gold Card offers solutions to meet business needs. Get more rewards with 4X points on 2 select categories where you spend the most each month, plus earn 1X on other purchases! Once approved, you have the opportunity to earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
On top of this great opportunity to earn rewards for where your business spends most, you can earn an 25% airline bonus (25% of those points back) when you book your flight with American Express Travel using Membership Rewards® Pay with Points!
If you have a side business such as selling on eBay, Craigslist, or do freelance work, then your business is called sole proprietorship. Simply use your name as business ID and Social Security number as tax ID.
Table of Contents
- 1 American Express Business Gold Card
- 2 American Express Business Gold Card Highlights
- 3 American Express Business Gold Card Benefits
- 4 American Express Business Gold Card Exclusive Offers
- 5 Membership Rewards Points
- 6 Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
- 7 American Express Business Gold Card Benefits
- 8 Editor's Alternative Pick
- 9 Bottom Line
- 10 What's the Competition?
American Express Business Gold Card
American Express Business Gold Card Highlights
- Quadruple Points. And then some.
- Earn more points in the 2 select categories where you spend the most each month. Earn 1X on other purchases.
- 4X points applies to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each year.
- Earning Membership Rewards®
- The Membership Rewards® program keeps it simple. Just use your Card for purchases, large or small, and watch the points add up. Plus, there’s no limit to how many points you can earn, and don’t worry about expiration dates because there aren’t any.
- Redeeming Membership Rewards®
- The Membership Rewards® program offers a breadth of exceptional rewards and the most point transfer partners, of any major U.S. credit card loyalty program.
- 25% Airline Bonus
- Book your flight with American Express Travel using Membership Rewards® Pay with Points and get 25% of those points back.
- Either book any class flight with your selected qualifying airline, or a First or Business class flight. You can get up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.
- Flexibility to pay over time with interest, or pay your full balance, whichever is best for your business.
American Express Business Gold Card Benefits
Maximize Rewards with 4X Points! Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 categories where your business spent the most each billing cycle from the list below, plus earn 1X on other purchases.
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio)
- U.S. purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software, and cloud solutions
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases at restaurants
- U.S. purchases for shipping
4X points applies to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year Then earn 1 point per dollar.
American Express Business Gold Card Exclusive Offers
- Up to 1 year free of G Suite Basic
- Get video conferencing, cloud storage, file sharing and more with G Suite by Google Cloud. Get up to 1 year free of G Suite Basic for up to 3 users in the form of statement credits for purchases on the Card in your first 12 months of Card Membership. New Card Members can take advantage of this exclusive offer simply by subscribing at gsuite.google.com and using their Card as the primary form of payment.
- Up to 1 year free of ZipRecruiter Standard
- ZipRecruiter can help make finding the right candidates easy. Get access to powerful tools to help you find top talent. Distribute job postings easily to over 100 job boards with just one click. Get up to 1 year free of ZipRecruiter Standard in the form of statement credits for purchases on the Card in your first 12 months of Card Membership. New Card Members can take advantage of this exclusive offer simply by subscribing at ziprecruiter.com and using their Card as the primary form of payment.
Both subscriptions are month to month and can be cancelled at any time.
Membership Rewards Points
With your Membership Rewards points, they can be transferred to nearly a dozen airline frequent flyer programs, usually on a 1:1 basis. Some of the participants include Delta, British Airways, Frontier, JetBlue, Virgin Atlantic, Air Canada, AeroMexico, Cathay Pacific, EL AL Israel Airlines, Air France & KLM, Hawaiian, Singapore, and many more. You can use you points for other travel including hotels, cruises, rental cars and much more.
If not, you could always cash out your points for gift cards and merchandise from over 500 different partners. Lastly, simply use the points for entertainment including Ticketmaster tickets and dining. Points have no expiration date and accrue as your spending grows. You can earn as many points as you want and you could redeem them whenever it is convenient for you.
Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
Accumulated Membership Rewards points can be redeemed for general merchandise, travel, transportation (including Uber rides), gift cards, and statement credits.
Redemption minimums start at 1,000 and vary by redemption method. Membership Rewards points are generally worth 1 cent apiece when redeemed for merchandise. When redeeming for statement credits, they're worth way less than that. You can also transfer points to one of American Express’s 16 partner airlines.
I highly recommend redeeming your points for travel. As an Amex Business Gold card member, you earn a 25% bonus when you redeem points for eligible travel purchases, including airfare, through the American Express Travel portal. Therefore, your points earned with the Amex Business Gold card are worth 1.25 cents apiece when redeemed for airfare. This makes them much more valuable than the average rewards card value.
American Express Business Gold Card Benefits
The Amex Business Gold card comes with standard travel and purchase protections. These include 24/7 global assistance, 24/7 roadside assistance, baggage insurance for stolen or damaged luggage, and extended warranties on all purchased items with original warranties of five years or less. Some other benefits you should know about are:
Up to 1 year free of G Suite Basic. Get video conferencing, cloud storage, file sharing and more with G Suite by Google Cloud. Get up to 1 year free of G Suite Basic for up to 3 users in the form of statement credits for purchases on the Card in your first 12 months of Card Membership. New Card Members can take advantage of this exclusive offer simply by subscribing at gsuite.google.com and using their Card as the primary form of payment.
Up to 1 year free of ZipRecruiter Standard. Find the right candidates easily. Get access to powerful tools to help you find top talent. Distribute job postings easily to over 100 job boards with just one click. Get up to 1 year free of ZipRecruiter Standard in the form of statement credits for purchases on the Card in your first 12 months of Card Membership. New Card Members can take advantage of this exclusive offer simply by subscribing at ziprecruiter.com and using their Card as the primary form of payment.
No Foreign Transaction Fee. The Amex Business Gold doesn’t have a foreign transaction fee (See Rates & Fees), a nice perk for cardmembers who travel outside the U.S. often. Many competing business credit cards has a foreign transaction fee of 2% to 3%.
No Charge for Roadside Assistance. Many cards offer roadside assistance benefits. However, more often than not, it’s just a marketing trick, since you are responsible for whatever charges you might incur. The Amex Business Gold card actually pays for services rendered, up to four times in a calendar year. This includes towing (up to 10 miles), a jump-start, and tire changes.
Pay Over Time. Because the Business Gold Card is a charge card, cardholders are usually required to pay their balance in full at the end of each billing period. Those who fail to do so risk account closure after two consecutive periods of non-full payment. However, American Express’s Pay Over Time feature allows longstanding cardmembers to avoid this requirement on purchases over $100. Pay Over Time allows cardholders to carry balances indefinitely, with interest, from month to month. Like carried balances on regular credit cards, Pay Over Time balances accumulate interest charges at variable rates, depending on prevailing interest rates.
Editor's Alternative Pick
With the Chase Ink Business CashSM Card:
• Earn $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
• Earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year
• Earn 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year
• Earn 1% cash back on all other card purchases with no limit to the amount you can earn
• 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases
• Employee cards at no additional cost
• No Annual Fee
Now, let's keep in mind that this card does come with a $295 annual fee (See Rates & Fees), however, the airline bonus and the rewards you can earn with the American Express® Business Gold Card alone makes the annual fee seem subtle. The benefits far outweigh the what seemed to be a high annual fee! This card also offers extensive benefits such as exclusive access to Gold Card events, purchase protection, extended warranty, travel insurance and so much more. With an established business it's nice to have a card in your portfolio that allows you to take control with your point earning categories.
You can continue your daily operations knowing that American Express is here to offer you the best. For more of the best business credit cards, check out our full listing. If you are interested in other credit card bonuses, check out all our reviews and exclusive offers here on HustlerMoneyBlog.com.
While American Express is an advertising partner of HustlerMoneyBlog, the opinions and beliefs in this article are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
For rates and fees of the American Express Business Gold Card, please click here
What's the Competition?
With the Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card:
• Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
• Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases - with no limit to the amount you can earn
• Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
• Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
• No foreign transaction fees
• Employee cards at no additional cost
• $95 Annual Fee
With the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express:
• Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
• Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
• Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
• Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
• 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
• Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
• Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
• Terms Apply
• See Rates & Fees
With the UnitedSM Explorer Business Card:
• Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
• $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
• Earn 2 miles per $1 at restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores
• Earn 2 miles per $1 on United purchases and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
• Free checked bag - save up to $120 per roundtrip (terms apply)
• Two one-time United ClubSM passes each year — more than a $100 value
• Priority boarding for you and companions on the same reservation on United-operated flights
• Employee cards at no additional cost
|Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card||80,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Ink Business CashSM Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®||3% Cash Back||Review|
|UnitedSM Explorer Business Card||50,000 Miles||Review|
|ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®||$150 Cash||Review|