Bank of America has three different checking account options for your to choose from. Enjoy Online Banking, Mobile Banking, a debit card with Total Security Protection, and much more! You can easily apply today in minutes and get a bank account that works for you.
If you’re interested on learning more about which Bank of America checking account is right for you, continue reading our guide below! We’ll also cover which documents are needed and how you can apply online or in-person!
See our best bank bonuses updated daily to earn up to $1,000 in free money. Find popular checking offers such as Chase Bank, HSBC Bank, TD Bank, Huntington Bank, BBVA, Discover Bank, and CIT Bank. See our best rates for Savings and CD too.
|Chase Business Checking $300 Bonus||Chase Private Client $2,000 Bonus|
|Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus||Chase SavingsSM $150 Bonus|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||HSBC Premier Checking Up To $600|
|HSBC Advance Checking $200 Bonus||HSBC Advance Checking Up To $240|
|TD Bank Premier Checking $300 Bonus||TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $500 Bonus||Huntington 5 Checking $200 Bonus|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking $150 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $200 Bonus|
|Axos Basic Business Checking $100 Bonus||Aspiration Spend & Save Account $100 Bonus|
Table of Contents
How to Open a Bank of America Checking Account
Before you open an account, you’ll need to provide your personal information to complete the application including:
- Current mailing address
- Social Security number
- Email address
- Account number (if you have an existing checking account)
- Same information for any joint account holder
You will also be needing to show two forms of identification, any of the following forms of ID are accepted:
- Driver’s license
- State-issued ID with photo
- U.S. passport
- Military ID with photo
- Bank of America-branded debit or credit card with photo
Your second form of ID verifies your primary ID. Types of acceptable secondary IDs include:
- Major credit card from another financial institution
- Major retail credit card from a national department store or retail company
- Debit card with Visa or Mastercard logo from another financial institution
- U.S. college or university ID; student ID card from a local high school
- U.S.-issued employment or work ID card or badge
Bank of America Checking Account Options
With Bank of America, you can choose from three options, not only that their checking accounts have a low initial deposit amount. Once you have all of the necessary documents, you can choose from three options:
- Advantage Plus: This account is designed for individuals and students who want an account with a low minimum balance requirement.
- Advantage Relationship: If you’re one to maintain a high balance in their checking account this could be the right one for you. You’ll earn interest and receive perks such as no service fees, free incoming domestic wires and the option to open other checking or savings accounts with no monthly maintenance fees. You’ll need $100 to open this account.
- SafeBalance Advantage: You only need $25 to open an account, the SafeBalance Advantage is a checkless checking account. It is more of a digital payment method with a $4.95 monthly service fee that is waived for students and Preferred Rewards members.
You can choose to open your account online or visit one of the local branches.
How safe is my checking account?
Bank of America sends you alerts if you account shows any suspicious behavior and if anyone makes changes to the account. You can also set online alerts to notify you if you spend over a designated amount.
Not only that, if your card is lost or stolen, Bank of America will not hold you responsible for fraudulent charges. If you find yourself where you lose your debit card, you can use the Bank of America online system which can help you locate and reactivate your card instead of canceling it.
How can I deposit my check?
There are two options for depositing your checks: visit a Bank of America branch when you need to deposit a check or deposit it using your mobile phone.
You can save, print or email a copy of the check when you deposit funds using the Mobile Banking app and the camera on your smartphone or tablet. You’ll also receive a confirmation so you know your check is processing.
How to deposit checks with our Mobile Banking app:
- Open the app, use your fingerprint to securely sign in and select Deposit Checks.
- Sign the back of the check and write “for deposit only at Bank of America”.
- Take photos of the front and back of the check with your smartphone — just select the Front of Check and Back of Check buttons.
- Select the account to receive the deposit, enter the amount and tap Continue.
- After confirming the details, tap Deposit.
Does Bank of America offer sign-up offers?
You should always check with Bank of America in person and online to see if a sign-up bonus is available for opening an account.
Do their checking accounts have special benefits?
Make use of two benefits when you open a Bank of America checking account:
- “Keep the Change” Savings Program: This program rounds up every purchase you make with your checking debit card to the nearest dollar and transfers that money to your savings account.
- BankAmeriDeals: Use the mobile app to earn cash back by clicking on the deals you want. Use your debit card to shop, and your rewards will be credited to your account by the end of the following month.
Now you have all the details and information needed to get started today, so when you apply in-person make sure to ask a representative to help you select which Bank of America checking account is right for you!
Find the latest Bank of America promotions here or to help get you started you can read through our detailed Bank of America Review, we have a list of the best bank promotions and you can also read bank reviews to find which bank offers the services you need!