The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is a luxury charge card that rolls out the red carpet when traveling and enjoying nights out on the town. There are some rewards to be earned but the star of this card is its enormous collection of exceptional benefits concentrated around traveling. There’s so much that’s offered, including a generous welcome bonus, that members find themselves not taking advantage of all the benefits or even forgetting a few, which isn’t such a bad problem to have. It’s a card that gives members privileges to the best upgrades and exclusives.
With the The Platinum Card® from American Express:
• Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
• Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
• 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
• Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
• Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
• $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
• Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
• $550 annual fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Table of Contents
Flight Credits & Savings
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers several opportunities for airline travel credits that are general enough to appease its members.
- $200 Airline Credit – Receive up to $200 airline fee credit in the form of a statement credit each year towards eligible incidental fees with the airline of your choice. Fees that will qualify include checked baggage fees, meals and drinks, wifi connection, and flight change fees among others.
- $200 Annual Uber Savings – Get up to $200 Uber savings every year with Platinum American Express card membership. You can enjoy $15 in Uber credits for US rides each month plus an additional $20 bonus in December if you’re a Platinum Card Member.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck Credit – Use your card and receive either a Global Entry ($100) statement credit or a TSA PreCheck ($85) statement credit every 5 years. If most of your travel is within the U.S., TSA PreCheck will allow you to speed through security screenings. Similary, those that often travel internationally can pass through U.S. Customs with Global Entry more quickly and smoothly.
- International Companion Ticket Savings – The Platinum Card from American Express includes the International Airline Program which offers savings towards a companion ticket when you book an international business or first class ticket. Companion tickets are refundable(less fees and taxes) and there are no limits on how many you can purchase. Savings vary drastically but can be upwards to several thousand dollars. Membership Reward points can also be used to pay for all or a portion of the companion ticket.
The Platinum Card® from American Express includes free access to lounges just about anywhere you travel. Your immediate family or traveling companions may also receive complimentary access or discounted passes. Waiting for a flight in any of these lounges may be the best part of your flight as they offer plenty of amenities. The Platinum card’s lounge passes is one of its most valuable features and what makes it ever so popular.
- Priority Pass Select – With Priority Pass Select access, there are over 900 airport lounges worldwide most with complimentary work space, wifi, snacks, drinks, and cocktails. Presenting your Platinum card will not get you access. You must enroll to receive your Priority Pass Select card for access. For family or friends to join you, there will be a $27 fee charged to your card.
- Centurion Lounge – The luxury Centurion Lounge is available at New York LaGuardia, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Miami, Seattle, and Houston airports with more international locations. Your immediate family or up to 2 companions can accompany you for free. Available will be gourmet food and drinks, lush seating, wireless internet, and even showers and spa services like massages, facials, and manicures and pedicures at select locations.
- Other Lounges – Receive complimentary access to Delta Sky Club, Airspace Lounges, and American Express International Lounges.
Stay at the Finest
The Platinum Card® from American Express connects members to outstanding hotel and resort properties with the finest benefits exclusively from American Express and its partners. With each hotel or resort stay, the value of your card will continue to add up.
- Fine Hotels & Resorts – American Express has collaborated with distinguished hotels worldwide as part of their Fine Hotels & Resorts Program. Use your Platinum card to book any of these hotels to enjoy amazing benefits where available like early noon check-in, room upgrade upon arrival, breakfast for two every morning, free wifi, and late 4pm checkout to name a few.
- The Hotel Collection – Book your hotel stay through American Express’s Hotel Collection and earn 2x Membership Rewards points for every $1. The lowest rate for your room is guaranteed and you can use your card and/or points to book your room. Stay 2 or more consecutive nights to receive $75 in hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities within the property. Also receive room upgrades if available.
- Gold Status with Hotel Partners – The Platinum Card from American Express comes with automatic Starwood Preferred Guest and Hilton HHonors Gold member statuses which isn’t even offered from their own branded hotel cards(except Hilton HHonors Reserve Card). Gold member status with both hotel partners will earn you more reward points and extra hotel benefits like you complimentary room upgrades and wifi, late check out, and even free nights at Hilton properties.
Concierge At Your Service
The Platinum Card® from American Express focuses on the highest level of customer service and assistance just about any time you need it. Ask any question or make any request for the professionals behind the card who may surprise you with what they can accomplish.
- Platinum Card Concierge – The Platinum Card Concierge can make special things happen. Representatives can help you plan ahead with the smallest of details or fulfill last minute requests like confirming a table at the most sought after restaurant that typically requires reservations made well in advance.
- Platinum Travel Service – The Platinum Card is tailored around traveling and it’s only fitting that agents are available to help plan and book your trips as part as their Platinum Travel Service. You’ll receive suggestions and recommendations specifically for your trip, whether it’s for business, a family vacation, or a much needed getaway.
- Premium Roadside Assistance – With Premium Roadside Assistance, you will always have help on the way. Receive 4 complimentary car services a year that includes towing of up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change, lockout service, and delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel.
- Premium Global Assist Hotline – Get help 24/7 where ever you need it with Premium Global Assist Hotline. Even if you’re across the globe in a country that does not speak your language, you’ll have access to medical, legal, and financial help.
- Card Member Services – Also available 24/7 is Card Member Services to help with your Platinum Card from American Express. Representatives will be able to replace missing cards or can answer questions about your account.
Travel, Events, Shop, Connect, & More
The Platinum Card® from American Express includes even more benefits and features that makes it one of the best cards to travel with. Below are a few that are noteworthy with more left to be mentioned.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees and Purchase & Travel Benefits – There are no foreign transaction fees when making purchases outside the U.S. Make any purchase with your Platinum card to get return protection, extended warranty, purchase protection. More travel benefits include baggage insurance and travel accident insurance.
- Car Rental Privileges and Loss & Damage Insurance – Receive discounts, upgrades, and complimentary membership with Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental for luxury car rentals. Also get rental coverage for loss and damage when you use your Platinum to pay for the rental and decline the collision damage waiver during pick up. There are exclusions and restrictions that may apply.
- Entertainment & Events – The Platinum Card from American Express comes with exclusive entertainment and event programs that includes By Invitation Only, Preferred Seating, Membership Experiences, and Platinum Dining. At your fingertips are early access to the best seating to a memorable affair with any of these programs.
- Boingo WiFi – Receive unlimited complimentary Boingo WiFi internet service on up to 4 devices. You must enroll and create an American Express Preferred Plan account to get access to over 1 million hotpots worldwide. You’ll stay connected any where you go.
A Luxury Travel Benefits Card
The Platinum Card® from American Express presents itself as a luxury travel benefits card with rewards and considered as one of the best premium cards that’s available to everyone. It may hold one of the highest annual fees but can garner thousands of dollars in value year after year. With lavish benefits, world class customer service, and a fantastic welcome offer, the Platinum Card from American Express aims to please those with a passion for traveling extravagantly. Review our complete list of credit card bonus promotions.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Many of the listings that appear on this website are from companies which we receive compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). The site does not review or include all companies or all available products.