If you like shopping at Sam’s Club, did you know about the Sam’s Club Mastercard? It is a great card if you tend to get your gas from a Sam’s Club fuel center. They are currently offering the opportunity to earn 5% cash back on eligible gas purchases on the first $6,000 per year, then 1%.
With the card, you can enjoy discounted gas. For more information, continue reading for a complete review on how you can get tons of unique rewards and bonuses.
Table of Contents
Sam’s Club Mastercard Summary
The Sam's Club® Mastercard® comes with no annual fee and the following perks:
• More value: 3 + 2 = 5: Plus members earn 3% back on eligible purchases when shopping in-club or digitally through Sam's Club when they use their Sam's Club Mastercard and another 2% back from their Plus membership, for a total of up to 5% rewards on eligible purchases.
• Savings: For everyday eligible purchases, the credit card offers an industry leading 5% cash back on gas anywhere (up to $6,000), 3% cash back on dining and takeout, and 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases.
• Less contact: As consumers look for ways to transact without touching cash, cards, or keypads, Synchrony has enabled Sam's Club with contact-free technology, including the integration of payments capabilities into Sam's Scan & Go patented solution, both in-club and at the pump.
• Mobile first: Sam's Club cardholders can easily make purchases, track spending, check and pay balances, and securely manage and freeze accounts via the Sam's Club mobile app enabled by the Synchrony plug-in ('SyPi').
• Digitized rewards: No more paper checks! Rewards are automatically loaded onto membership cards and can be used for future purchases made both online and in-club, or exchanged for cash back.
• Applying made easy: The Sam's Club Mastercard is now available to apply for in all in-Club and digital channels including: at member services, at the point of sale - including through Scan & Go; on Sam's Club Mobile App, SamsClub.com, Text-to-Apply, and Self-Checkout enabled with Synchrony's patent-pending dApply technology, API's, and the Synchrony plug-in ('SyPi').
|Bonus Available||Earn 5% back on gas purchases on the first $6,000 per year, then 1%.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||5% cash back on gas (on the first $6,000 per year), 3% back on dining and takeout, and 1% back on all other purchases.|
|Balance Transfer Fees||Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater.|
- Higher cash back in certain categories
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fee
- Limit to the amount of cash back each year
- Must buy a Sam’s Club membership to use the card at Sam’s Club
- Small one-time offer, only available for a limited time
Editor’s Alternative Pick
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 75,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 10X points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That's an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
This card comes with an annual fee of $550 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
Plus, up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card® & receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts.
Sam’s Club Mastercard 5% Rewards Offer
For credit cardholders, Sam’s Club is offering a chance to earn 5% cash back on gas for the first $6,000 per year, then 1%.
With this card, you can earn some decent cash back on gas and save money.
Sam’s Club Mastercard Benefits
- Cardholder Experience. Issued by Synchrony Bank, the Sam’s Club Mastercard enjoys the benefits of being a member of this bank. They are ranked 10th out of 11 national credit card issuers in J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, with a score of 780 out of 1,000 points comparing with the national average of 806 points. Manage your account online at any time.
- Security Features. The Sam’s Club Mastercards provides security features that are common to other Mastercards. This includes features such as zero liability for fraudulent purchases and ID theft protection. The card doesn’t offer much in the way of additional security.
Compare Sam’s Club Credit Cards
|Sam’s Club Credit Card||Sam’s Club Mastercard|
|Earn 5% cash back on gas
anywhere Mastercard is accepted
(on first $6,000 per year, then 1%)**
|Earn 3% cash back Sam’s Club purchases for Plus
members. Club members earn 1% cash back**
|Earn 3% cash back on dining and takeout**||–||x|
|Earn 1% cash back on other purchases
at Sam’s Club and wherever Mastercard
|Acceptance at all Sam’s Club
and Walmart® locations nationwide
|No annual fee†||x||x|
|Doubles as your membership card||x||x|
All in all, the Sam’s Club Mastercard is good choice for those who are looking to get rewarded on their gas purchases. They offer several perks and benefits that might suit your needs. However, this card rewards as some other cash back credit cards may offer.
Make sure to also visit HMB to explore more credit card bonuses from institutions like Chase Bank, Wells Fargo, Capital One, Citibank, and American Express. If you’re indecisive of which card best suits you, see our post on the Best Rewards Cards!
(Visit Sam’s Club to learn more)
Alternative Credit Card Options
The Chase Freedom Flex offers a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
• 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate.
• 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back. You'll be able to new 5% categories each quarter!
This card has no annual fee.
The American Express® Gold Card offers 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
You'll have the opportunity to earn:
• 4X Membership Rewards Points on Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
• 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). Some benefits including earning up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. In addition, a $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline. You'll also get $120 Uber Cash: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited Card offers a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
In addition, you can earn:
• 5% on travel purchased through Chase,
• 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and
• Unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
There is no minimum to redeem for cash back & your cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open.
This card comes with no annual fee and you'll get a free credit score that is updated weekly with Credit JourneySM.
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time $200 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn an unlimited 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores (excluding superstores like Walmart and Target, plus 1% on all other purchases.
This card comes with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
†For new accounts: Variable Purchase APR is 14.90% or 22.90% Minimum interest charge is $2.00 for both cards. All APRs are accurate as of January 1, 2021 and will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate (as defined in your credit agreement)
*Cash Rewards are only available for Sam’s Club Plus Members for in-club purchases with any form of payment. Sam’s Club Plus Members get 2% back on qualifying pre-tax purchases with a maximum reward of $500 per 12-month membership period. Cash Rewards are awarded annually about 2 months prior to renewal date and loaded onto the membership card for use in club, on SamsClub.com or redeemable for cash. A member can accumulate a Maximum Balance of $2,000 in earned Cash Rewards on a membership card, at which point accrual of Cash Rewards stops until the Maximum Balance is reduced. Cash Rewards are not earned for purchases made during the time of Maximum Balance. Restrictions apply. Visit SamsClub.com/CashRewards for exclusions, program details and terms and conditions.
**Sam’s Club® Mastercard® cardholders earn Cash Back Rewards on eligible net purchases (less credits, returns, taxes and adjustments) made with their Sam’s Club® Mastercard® account. Rewards percentages depend on the type of purchase made. Cash Back Rewards are not earned on the following purchases or transactions at Sam’s Club or SamsClub.com: cash advances, tobacco and smoking related products (including electronic cigarettes), prescription purchases, reloading or purchase of prepaid cards, gift cards (including third party gift cards), or any cash equivalents. Maximum of $5,000 in Cash Back Rewards can be earned in a calendar year. Eligible Purchases on multiple Card Accounts for the same Sam’s Club member, including business and personal accounts, will be aggregated in determining the $5,000 maximum Cash Back per year. Cash Back Rewards are issued starting each February for the Cash Back earned during the previous calendar year. Cash Back Rewards are forfeited if the Sam’s Club® Mastercard® account is not in good standing (i.e., is delinquent) or if the Sam’s Club Membership terminates or lapses. Cash Back Rewards will be automatically loaded onto your Sam’s Club membership and may be redeemed only at a Sam’s Club location or at SamsClub.com. See the “How to Earn Cash Back with your Sam’s Club® Mastercard®” rewards program terms or visit SamsClub.com/sams/images/ MasterCard_CashBack.pdf for details. The Sam’s Club Mastercard is issued by Synchrony Bank pursuant to a license by Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.