The Korean Air SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Card has an offer for 30,000 bonus SKYPASS miles when you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days. It’s not the best bonus offered compared to other competitor, plus the annual fee is a steep $450.
That’s not to say this card is of no value to Korean Air loyalists. Actually, you can more than justify the annual fee if you utilize all the valuable card perks.
- The travel credit is worth $200.
- The TSA Pre? or Global Entry fee credit is worth $85-$100. You’ll only use this perk every 4 years.
- The introductory bonus is worth ~$510.
- The annual spend bonus, when you spend $35k annually, is 10,000 miles or ~$170.
- The annual Korean Air ticket coupon is for $100 off.
- The 2 KAL Lounge coupons are worth 2,000 miles(~$30+) Domestic and 4,000 miles(~$60+) International.
* You can compare the SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Card with other credit card bonuses and promotions as well as other SKYPASS cards:
Table of Contents
SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Card Summary
|Bonus Available||Get 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days of account opening.|
|Travel Credit||Up to $200 annual statement credit on travel purchases.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||2 miles for every $1 spent on Korean Air ticket purchases, 2 miles for every $1 spent on non-Korean Air airline tickets, car rentals and hotels, and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other eligible purchases.
One $100 Off coupon each year for a Korean Air ticket purchase.
Get two $25 off coupons each year for In-Flight Duty Free purchases.
Receive 10,000 bonus miles at renewal after you spend at least $35,000 annually.
TSA Pre? or Global Entry application fee statement credit.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No|
|Airport Lounge Access||Get two KAL Lounge coupons each year.|
- Bonus miles
- Bonus on non-airline spending
- $200 annual travel credit
- Annual $100 air ticket coupon
- Annual $25 inflight duty free coupons
- 2 KAL Lounge passes every year
- Anniversary bonus
- No foreign transaction fees
- High annual fee
- Excellent credit needed to qualify
- Weak luxury perks
- Complicated rewards
What are SKYPASS Miles Worth?
Your miles’ worth depends on how you use them. You can redeem for tickets or upgrades with Korean Air and SkyTeam member airlines. There are also a number of non-SkyTeam Airlines you can redeem for tickets with. On average, each SKYPASS mile is worth $0.017. That’s a great value considering the average is just $0.01 per point.
You can use your SKYPASS miles towards:
- Flights (Korean Air, SkyTeam partners, non-SkyTeam partners)
- Upgrades (Korean Air, SkyTeam partners)
- KAL Lounge access
- Excess baggage (Korean Air)
- Hotel stays
- Car rentals
- KAL limousines
- Coatroom service
- Visits to Jeju Folk Village Museum
You’ll get the most value for your SKYPASS miles if you use them for flights with Korean Air or a partner airline!
SkyTeam Member Airlines
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air Europa
- Air France
- China Airlines
- China Eastern
- & More!
Non-SkyTeam Partner Airlines
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- China Southern
- Etihad Airways
- GOL Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Jet Airways
SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Card Benefits
- Travel credit. Up to $200 annual statement credit on travel purchases.
- Travel benefits. You can get TSA Prechecked or Global Entry application fee statement credit, no foreign transaction fees, also get trip Cancellation/tTrip Interruption Reimbursement as well as tTrip Delay Reimbursement, and you can redeem miles for award travel and upgrades on Korean Air and SkyTeam partners.
- Bonus miles. Get 30,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 within first 90 days. And get 10,000 Bonus Miles at renewal after $35,000 in spend annually.
- Accelerated earn. Earn two miles for every net eligible $1 you spend on Korean Air ticket purchases or two miles for every net eligible $1 you spend on Airline Ticket, Car Rental and Hotels. You can also earn one mile for every $1 you spend on all other eligible net purchase.
- Get exclusives from Korean Air. Like $100 Off coupon for Korean Air ticket purchase each year, SKYPASS Select Visa card purchases help you reach and maintain Morning Calm Club Membership, and more!
- Also get Visa Signature Benefits. No Preset Spending Limit for worry-free spending without a fixed limit, Visa Travel & Shopping special offers from fine hotels, resorts and retail merchants, and more!
SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Card Top Features
Get automatic statement credits totaling up to $200 each membership year towards travel spending. This includes expenses that merchants classify as airlines, hotels and car rentals.
To qualify, purchases must be made directly with airlines, hotels or car rental companies.
Enjoy a variety of Korean Air perks every year. You’ll get:
- One $100 coupon towards a Korean Air ticket purchase
- Two $25 coupons towards Korean Air in-flight duty free purchases
- Two KAL Lounge coupons
Earn 10,000 bonus SKYPASS miles when you spend at least $35,000 within one membership year. To qualify, pay the card’s annual fee in the month that it’s due.
Receive a statement credit for the TSA Pre? ($85) or Global Entry ($100) application fee every four years.
Make purchases abroad without worrying about foreign transaction fees with the SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Card.
|Best Credit Card Categories|
|0% APR||Airline Rewards||Balance Transfer|
|Cash Back||Hotel Rewards||Military|
|No Annual Fee||No Foreign Transaction Fee||Premium|
|Small Business||Student||Travel Rewards|
The SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Card is a valuable premium card, but not competitive to other cards in the market. The SKYPASS Select Visa card has premium costs, but performs like a mid-range card. There are other credit card options out there with more bang for your buck.
If you are interested in more deals that U.S. Bank has to offer, see our list of the best U.S Bank promotions. But if you’re looking for other credit cards, see our latest list of the best credit card bonuses, here on HMB!
Who’s the Competition?
Premium Travel Cards
The The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
This card comes with an annual fee of $550 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings. Furthermore, you'll receive $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline. Plus, up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card® & receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts.
In addition, you can earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel & on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
At about half the annual fee cost, the American Express Gold Card can also be considered a better overall choice.
The American Express® Gold Card offers 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
You'll have the opportunity to earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide & at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X); 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). Some benefits including earning up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. In addition, a $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Simple High-Yield Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|You InvestSM by J.P. Morgan||$625 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account||$360 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|UFB Direct High Yield Savings||2.25% APY||Review|
|Betterment Everyday Savings||2.21% APY||Review|
|CIT Bank Savings Builder||2.20% APY||Review|