With the REI Co-op World Mastercard, you can easily earn $100 gift card bonus when you make your first card purchase within 60 days.
If you frequently participate in outdoor activities, you may enjoy the REI Co-op card. The card offers a 5% rebate on REI purchases, so you can offset the cost of expensive equipment and other merchandise. And every time you make a purchase with your card, REI will make a donation to the National Forest Foundation.
* You can compare the REI Co-op World Mastercard with other credit card bonuses and promotions.
REI Co-op World Mastercard Summary
|Departure||Get a $100 REI gift card upon approval and after your first purchase within 60 days.|
|Ongoing Rewards/ Benefits||5% rebate on everything at REI (including sale items).
1% rebate on everyday purchases.
|Foreign Transaction||2% in USD, 3% in foreign currencies.|
- No annual fee
- Bonus gift card
- REI member perks
- Rewards distributed once a year
- Foreign transaction fees
REI Co-op World Mastercard Benefits
- $100 REI Gift Card upon approval and after first purchase.
- 5% back on everything at REI—even sale items.
- 1% back on everyday purchases.
- REI will make a donation to the National Forest Foundation every time you make a purchase with your card.
- All of this on top of your member dividend.
How to Earn & Redeeming REI Co-op Rewards
Earn a generous 5% rebate on all REI purchases including discount merchandise, services and gift cards. You won’t get such a good deal with most store branded cards. While for other purchases, you get a flat 1% rebate with the card.
The total rebate you earned in the previous year is sent to your yearly REI membership dividend in mid to late March, that means all your rewards are paid out once a year.
You can redeem your rebates for:
- REI merchandise
- Checks (sent out July 1st to January 3rd the following year)
- Cash (request at any time from July 1st to January 3rd the following year)
You have almost two full years to redeem your REI Co-op rewards before they expire on January 3rd of the of the following year. You won’t lose your rebates, but you’ll get a refund by cash or check any rewards you haven’t redeemed.
REI Member Perks
REI Co-op card itself doesn’t require an annual fee, but you will need to be a REI lifetime member in order to apply. The membership has a one time fee of $20 and comes with exclusive benefits, including:
- Special pricing on REI classes and Adventures trips
- Access to semi-annual REI garage sales where you can save 50% or more on gently used and returned gear
REI’s structure is designed to give back to its members. You can get it in the form of a cash equivalent rewards program, separate from the credit card rewards program.
The percentage you get back – the dividend – partially depends on the company’s annual performance. Members receive dividends equal to 10% of full priced merchandise they purchases that year. If you spent $2,000 on full priced outdoor equipment, you’d get $20 back.
|Best Credit Card Categories|
|0% APR||Airline Rewards||Balance Transfer|
|Cash Back||Hotel Rewards||Military|
|No Annual Fee||No Foreign Transaction Fee||Premium|
|Small Business||Student||Travel Rewards|
The REI Co-op World Mastercard makes an outstanding rewards card if you’re looking to get a generous sign-up bonus and a good return on REI purchases. With a flat 1% back on all other purchases, it’s not very rewarding as an everyday credit card.
There are plenty of other cards on the market that offer a better cash back rate on every spending! So if you want to see more credit cards, see our latest list of the best credit card bonuses, here on HMB!
(Visit REI.com for more details about this card.)
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Who’s the Competition?
You should consider the Chase Freedom Unlimited, Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card and the American Express Cash Magnet Card.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® Card offers an additional 1.5% cash back on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) - worth up to $300 cash back!
Enjoy 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 19.49% - 28.24%.
Enjoy 6.5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more; 4.5% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and 3% on all other purchases (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year).
In addition, you can earn (after your first year or $20,000 spent):
• 5% cash back on Chase travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards
• 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service,
• Unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
There is no minimum to redeem for cash back & your cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open.
This card comes with no annual fee and you'll get a free credit score that is updated weekly with Credit JourneySM.
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card offers $200 Cash Back after spending $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months; 19.24%-29.24% variable APR after that; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months.
• 1.5% Cash Back on every purchase, every day with no rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards.
• Unlimited 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel, where you'll get Capital One's best prices on thousands of trip options. Terms apply.
• Enjoy up to 6 months of complimentary Uber One membership statement credits through 11/14/2024
This card comes with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees which makes this card a viable option for your go-to everyday card.