While American Express is an advertising partner of HustlerMoneyBlog, the opinions and beliefs in this article are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is, without a doubt, the premier charge card for the frequent traveler who revels in the prestige and luxury the name affords. Right now, you can get 40,000 Membership Rewards bonus points after you spend $3,000 in first 3 months of card issuance. Once your unlimited points accumulate, use them whenever you’re ready because there is no expiration date. Pay with points for travel- fly anytime, anywhere with no blackout dates or restrictions, or shop online on their website.
Beginning March 22, 2014, American Express Card Members will no longer have access to American Airlines Admiral Club and US Airways Club airport lounges through Airport Club Access / Airport Lounge Program.
American Express Platinum Card Features:
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Travel With Amazing Benefits:
- 5X Air: Remember that you can earn 5X points if you book flights directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 1,000 Global Lounge Collection: Enjoy complimentary access to over 1,000 airport lounges if you arrive too early or if that layover was extended with additional delays. You’ll never have to be stressed and without a place to rest. You can access lounges in over 120 countries and you get access into The Centurion® lounge network, the International American Express lounges, Delta Sky Clubs®, and Airspace Lounges. In addition to the amazing lounge accees you also get enrolled in Priority Pass™ Select!
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Have you ever went on a trip and on your return trip you packed too much and have to check in your bag? Well with the Platinum Amex you can rest assured that checking in a bag isn’t going to cost you an arm and a leg. They will provide you $200 airline fee credit every year. So any purchases with a qualifying airline will be eligible for you to receive statement credit for that amount. So relax, don’t pull around your luggage and buy an in-flight meal on American Express.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check: Traveling has been harder and harder but with TSA Pre-check and Global Entry you can bypass crazy lines during busy airport times. Wait, you don’t have one? Well don’t fret, with this car, start and application to apply for one and pay with this card as they will give you statement credit in the amount of your application cost. How great is that? You get the privilege to not take off your shoes and you don’t have to take out your liquids in security lines. That’ll save you time if you’re running late!
- $75 The Hotel Collection: If you book your travel stay with American Express Travel and stay there at least a minimum of 2 consecutive nights, you’ll receive a room upgrade, if it’s available. You also get $75 hotel credit at the place to spend on qualifying dining, spa and resort activities. Definitely great if you didn’t quite get a good dinner at the airport or if you’re exhausted from work meetings to just grab dinner in your room or head down to the spa for some relaxation.
Although at initial glance the $450 annual fee seems a little hefty, the cost is justified by all the benefits you’ll receive. To start, as a cardholder you will receive complimentary benefits with every stay at more than 700 luxurious hotels around the world when you book through Platinum Travel Service. Enjoy a free companion ticket with the purchase of a qualifying international Business Class ticket when you book with Platinum Travel Service. Additionally, receive roadside assistance coverage that amounts up to $200. Not to overlook, there are tons of other perks such as purchase and return protection, extended purchase warranty, travel/bag/car insurance, and access to the Platinum concierge service. So if you’re on the market for a super swanky card with all the bells and whistles, the Platinum Card® from American Express is the one.