What is Avios?
Avios is the new shared reward currency for British Airways Executive Club. One Avios is exactly one BA mile. Benefits of Avios to the customers include:
- Cabin upgrades using Avios
- A new range of travel reward redemption options, including hotels and car hire for BA Executive Club members
- More flexibility as customers can now use Avios for one-way flights or to mix and match the airports they fly to and from.
- You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after you make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa Card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years
- Smart Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & Beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home
You can use the 50K Avios through other one-world flights, including transatlantic Iberia flights, and non-transatlantic AA flights. Want to go to Europe round-trip on less than $400? The Chase British Airways Visa Signature card 50,000 BA Executive Club Avios for new cardmembers with first purchase is good enough for an economy class transatlantic flight from USA to Europe Zone 1. This includes the United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Switzerland. Why the $400 cost even though it’s a free flight? Taxes and fees.
- BA Avios cannot be redeemed for transatlantic flights on American Airlines. However, they can be redeemed for other oneworld flights, including transatlantic Iberia flights, and non-transatlantic AA flights.
- The 2-for-1 voucher is good only for BA mainline flights, not partners.
- To check on status of your application using an automated line, call 800-945-2006. At the prompt press # then 1, then enter your SSN
- To check on status with a human, 888-270-2127
The biggest downside of the BA Visa is the $95 annual fee. However, this is fully mitigated by the signup bonus worth $1,000 of travel. The second annoying factor is the heavy taxes and fees when booking transatlantic airline flights comes with a big caveat: you have to pay taxes and fees in addition to forking over when using your Avios. On the plus side, it offers some great features for international travelers such as:
- EMV chip-and-PIN technology, so you can actually use your card in Europe
- A free companion ticket that you can use in any cabin, every year that you make $30k in purchases or more
- Waived foreign transaction fees, key for any self-respecting international credit card
For those big spenders out there, the the BA card’s companion ticket offer(worth $500+ a year) is a great option. You’ll also earn 25% more rewards than the standard airline card rewards rate of 2.5 Avios per $1 spent on British Airways/1.25 Avios per $1 spent elsewhere. Don’t wait any longer to apply for the British Airways Visa Signature® Card today!
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.