American Express Platinum and Centurion cardmembers have access to the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program. This program offers great value-added benefits for your hotel stays and does not cost any more than booking directly with the property. For everything you need to know about the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program, continue reading below.
See our list of the best credit card bonuses here.
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 75,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 10X points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That's an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
This card comes with an annual fee of $550 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
Plus, up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card® & receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts.
Table of Contents
About Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts
The American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) program gives VIP benefits at 1,000+ properties in over 500 cities around the world to those who carry a Platinum or Centurion card, including:
Properties available through FHR consist of a mix of branded and independent hotels, all of which are hand-selected and well-rated.
Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts Features
When you book through Fine Hotel & Resorts, it probably won’t be the cheapest, but FHR benefits will cover the price difference, and them some. Here is what you will get with every FHR booking, regardless of how long you stay:
- Room upgrade. Upon arrival, when available, at check-in. Some room types may be excluded.
- Daily breakfast for 2. A continental breakfast, at minimum.
- Guaranteed 4pm late checkout.
- Noon check-in. When available, at check-in.
- Complimentary WiFi. If WiFi is included in the mandatory resort fee, you’ll get a daily credit from the property in the amount the property charges for WiFi.
- Unique property amenity. Valued at $100 or more, and usually consists of property credit, dining credit, spa credit, private airport transfer or etc.
You can maximize your FHR bookings by targeting hotels that provide unique property amenities that are worth more than the standard credit and are of significant value to you.
For example, you’ll get a complimentary dinner for two (excluding alcohol, taxes and tip) for your stay at The Peninsula Shanghai. You can easily get more than $100 in value from this property amenity.
Learn more here.
Booking Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts
To book your FHR stay, you can use any of the following:
- Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts booking site
- The Platinum Travel Service
- The Business Platinum Travel Service
- Centurion Travel Service
- American Express Travel office
- American Express agency services desk
We recommend booking via Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts with your The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express card so you can get generous Membership Rewards points on your prepaid stay.
To get FHR benefits, the cardmember must stay on the itinerary booked, for up to three rooms per stay under their account. So, all three rooms will qualify for FHR perks.
Loyalty Benefits & Elite Status
In order to access your FHR Perks, you will have to book your stay through the same program. However, you may be wondering if you also qualify for loyalty benefits and elite status as a hotel rewards program member?
From our research, there is no clear answer to this question. Some say they have received benefits an delite earnings at Hyatt and Hilton properties on FHR bookings. Others warn of IHG, Hyatt and Marriott properties refusing to offer loyalty program benefits on FHR stays.
The best method that is recommended is to book a refundable prepaid FHR stay. After a few days, email the property and ask if you stay is eligible for loyalty benefits and elite earnings. If not, cancel your reservation should place more importance in the hotel loyalty program than FHR perks.
If you are planning on staying at a luxury hotel, make your reservation via American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts. You can get VIP benefits for little or no extra cost. Pay for your stay with an Amex Platinum card, and you will learn MR points on top of FHR perks.
Are you looking for ways to earn free hotel nights? If you are, check out our guide to the best hotel credit cards.