Bank of Hawaii (BOH) has more accessible ATMs and physical branches more than any other bank in Hawaii. To find out if Bank of Hawaii is right for you, continue reading the review below.
Bank of Hawaii offers a good selection of both checking and savings accounts along with a few others. They are also one of the few banks that have a large variety of savings account options.
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 Money Market Account Options
- 6 Compare Money Market Accounts
- 7 Reasons to Bank with Bank of Hawaii
- 8 Reasons Not to Bank with Bank of Hawaii
- 9 Bank of Hawaii Routing Number
- 10 Contact Customer Service
- 11 How Bank of Hawaii Compares
- 12 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
Bank of Hawaii has various checking accounts that are quite different than most traditional banks.
This checking account is designed for users to bank without the hassle of overdraft fees. With just $25, you can open it.
If you enroll in estatements, you can avoid the monthly fee.
You also get access to all online and mobile banking and access to all Bank of Hawaii ATM locations.
This is Bank of Hawaii’s regular checking account, and you will need $25 to open it.
There no monthly fees as long as you enroll in eStatements.
This account comes with the standard benefits as any other BOH checking account.
This is an interest bearing checking account and it comes with a Bank of Hawaii Visa® Debit Card.
You will need $100 to open this account and there is an $8 monthly fee, but you can waive it if you have a daily balance of $500.
You also get unlimited check writing along with all the other previous checking account benefits.
Compare Checking Accounts
Savings Account Options
Bank of Hawaii has a great of savings accounts that all aim to help make savings more convenient.
This savings account earns tiered interest rates but requires a minimum opening deposit of $100.
If you set up Automatic Savings Transfers or direct deposits, your account will grow exponentially.
You can waive the monthly fee also by maintain a minimum daily balance of $300.
This account also comes with a free Bankoh ATM, free online and mobile banking and access to all Bank of Hawaii ATMs.
With this savings account, you can earn bonus interest in addition to your standard interest when you make deposits that are at least $25 in total each month.
Open this account with $100 and avoid the monthly fee when you maintain a daily balance of $500.
You will also receive all the benefits the Regular Savings account already has.
This account is similar to the Bonus Rate Savings one, except you will need a preexisting BOH checking account to qualify.
This also requires a minimum deposit of $100 to open, but the fees are based on your balance.
This is considered a premium savings account from BOH. You can earn an even higher interest when your deposits total to $100.
This account requires a minimum deposit of $100 and you will also need a preexisting BOH checking account in order to open it.
This a kids savings account for those who are 17 and under. You will need at least $25 to open it.
This account actually earns interest and doesn’t require a monthly fee nor a minimum balance requirement.
Compare Savings Accounts
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB323 by 03/15/2023
• Earn high interest rate of 3.30% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
• See advertiser website for full details
To get your $150 or $200 Bonus: What to do: Apply for your first Discover Online Savings Account, online, in the Discover App or by phone. Enter Offer Code HMB323 when applying. Deposit into your account a total of at least $15,000 to earn a $150 Bonus or deposit a total of at least $25,000 to earn a $200 Bonus. Deposit must be posted to account within 30 days of account open date. Maximum bonus eligibility is $200.
What to know: Offer not valid for existing or prior Discover savings customers or existing or prior customers with savings accounts that are co-branded, or affinity accounts provided by Discover. Eligibility is based on primary account owner. Account must be open when bonus is credited. Bonus will be credited to the account within 60 days of the account qualifying for the bonus. Bonus is interest and subject to reporting on Form 1099-INT. Offer ends 3/15/2023, 11:59 PM ET. Offer may be modified or withdrawn without notice.
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 3.30% APY as of 12/22/22 on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• 24/7 Account Access
Money Market Account Options
Money Market accounts allow for a higher yield and gives access to your funds with either checks or a bankcard.
Bank of Hawaii has a money market that earns tiered interest rates.
Personal Money Money Market Savings:
- Requires an opening deposit of $100
- Maintain a minimum daily balance of $1,000 to waive the $8 monthly fee
- Comes with all the benefits that a normal savings account already has
Compare Money Market Accounts
• Get started and open a Discover Money Market Account in 3 easy steps.
• Available nationwide online
• Earn high yields with flexible access to your cash.
• Earn 3.25% APY balances $100,000 and over
• Earn 3.20% APY balances under $100,000
• Open with as little as $2,500.
• No hidden fees. No surprises.
• Easy cash access via debit or check, or via ATM at over 60,000 no-fee ATMs
With the CIT Bank Money Market Account, you can earn a competitive interest rate and access your money easily.
• Earn 1.55% APY on your funds
• One of the nation's top rates — several times the national average.
• Get up to 6 digital transfers/withdrawals per statement cycle
• Save smart and get more for your money
• Higher rates than traditional banks
• Get 24/7 Account Access
• Secure banking features
• Open with as little as $100
• FDIC insured
Reasons to Bank with Bank of Hawaii
- They have a large variety of savings account and several of them earn tiered interest rates.
- Their minimum opening deposit requirements are fairly low.
- They have a youth savings account that actually earns interest.
- You can easily avoid some monthly fees by signing up for eStatements.
- EASE by Bank of Hawaii checking account cancels overdraft fees.
- They offer 24-hour customer service.
- Conduct all your banking conveniently online or with Bank of Hawaii mobile app.
Reasons Not to Bank with Bank of Hawaii
- Bank of Hawaii is only available in Hawaii, Guam and American Samoa.
- It would be more of a hassle to open an account online.
- They could use more checking account options.
- They lack a senior citizens checking or savings account.
Bank of Hawaii Routing Number
The routing number for Bank of Hawaii is 121301028.
Contact Customer Service
Bank of Hawaii has 24-hour customer service and you can reach them at:
- In Hawaii: 643-3888
- In the U.S. and Canada: 1-888-643-3888
How Bank of Hawaii Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Wells Fargo: Located throughout the US with over 5,800 branches and 13,000 ATMs. They offer a variety of deposits accounts, including accounts for teens and customers who need a second chance.
- First Hawaiian Bank: Located in Hawaii as well, First Hawaiian Bank also has a good variety of account options. In addition, they also offer relationship accounts.
- Discover Bank: Discover Bank is also an online nationwide bank that offers bonuses for their checking and savings accounts! You can earn cash back rewards when you open a checking account and generous bonuses for opening a savings one.
If you happen to live in Hawaii or any of the other places stated above, then consider banking with Bank of Hawaii.
With five savings account and a money market, Bank of Hawaii aims to keep your money in a safe and secure place.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
If you’re interested in banking with Bank of Hawaii, then apply today! For more options from a variety of banks, see our list of the best bank promotions!