Being the largest bank in Hawaii, First Hawaiian Bank (FHB) offers a decent selection of account options with average interest rates. To find out if First Hawaiian Bank is right for you, continue reading below.
First Hawaiian Bank is known for their top notch and friendly customer service as they are always happy to assist.
If you sign up for Priority Banking, you can maximize your earnings and link your savings accounts to function as one dependable bank account!
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 CD Account Options
- 6 Compare CD Accounts
- 7 Reasons to Bank with First Hawaiian Bank
- 8 Reasons Not to Bank with First Hawaiian Bank
- 9 First Hawaiian Bank Routing Number
- 10 Contact Customer Service
- 11 How First Hawaiian Bank Compares
- 12 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
First Hawaiian Bank offers a small selection of checking accounts that are simplistic and aren’t too much of a hassle to open.
This checking account is somewhat basic and requires either $100 to open or $5 in direct deposits.
There is a $7 monthly fee, but it can be waived by having at least $1,500 in direct deposits.
You also will receive a First Hawaiian Bank Mastercard® Debit Card, free checks, online/mobile banking and identify theft protection.
This account unfortunately doesn’t interest however.
This checking account is quite simple but still requires a minimum deposit of $100 to open.
There is a cheaper $2 monthly fee, but that can be waived when you sign up for eStatements.
Although you have to pay $5.99 to use online bill-pay, the fee can be waived if you have $500 in combined direct deposits.
This account may not earn interest, but there are also no minimum balance requirements.
This is a premier checking account offered in tiers. Each tier has different benefits depending on what kind of additional banking services you need.
You will need at least $100 or $5 in direct deposit to open this account.
Priority Banking Tiers:
- 1 – Helps your account grows
- 2 – Discounts on loans and mortgage
- 3 – Discounts on loans and services
There is a $4 monthly fee also, but that can be waived if you maintain a minimum balance of $300.
Compare Checking Accounts
Savings Account Options
First Hawaiian Bank has a decent variety of savings accounts that all earn tiered interest rates. To get more out of your savings, link them to your checking accounts!
This is a basic savings account that earns decent interest.
You can open the account with a minimum deposit of $100 or $5 in direct deposits.
There is a monthly fee, but you can waive it by just maintaining a daily balance of $300.
You can also link the savings account to one of your First Hawaiian Bank checking accounts to receive overdraft protection.
If you have a Priority Banking checking account, then you can earn exceptionally higher rates.
This is ideal for members of Priority BankingSM or PrimeTimeSM/PrimeraSM Platinum or Gold.
You can also link this savings account to any of your checking ones for overdraft protection.
This savings account has more flexibility than the other ones.
Like all the other ones, you will need at least $100 to open it or $5 in direct deposits.
If you manage to maintain a $5 minimum daily balance, you can avoid the monthly fee.
An additional benefit you can acquire with this savings account is access to Automatic Savings.
On FHB’s website, you can schedule automatic transfers from your checking right into your YesSavingsSM account.
This is a savings account that earns money market interest rates.
Because this savings account earns higher interest, you will need at least $1,000 for a minimum opening deposit.
If you manage to maintain $1,000 as a minimum daily balance, you can waive the monthly fee.
You can also waive it by having a combined balance of $2,500.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 3.30% APY as of 12/22/22 on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• 24/7 Account Access
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn up to 1.00% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB323 by 03/15/2023
• Earn high interest rate of 3.30% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
• See advertiser website for full details
To get your $150 or $200 Bonus: What to do: Apply for your first Discover Online Savings Account, online, in the Discover App or by phone. Enter Offer Code HMB323 when applying. Deposit into your account a total of at least $15,000 to earn a $150 Bonus or deposit a total of at least $25,000 to earn a $200 Bonus. Deposit must be posted to account within 30 days of account open date. Maximum bonus eligibility is $200.
What to know: Offer not valid for existing or prior Discover savings customers or existing or prior customers with savings accounts that are co-branded, or affinity accounts provided by Discover. Eligibility is based on primary account owner. Account must be open when bonus is credited. Bonus will be credited to the account within 60 days of the account qualifying for the bonus. Bonus is interest and subject to reporting on Form 1099-INT. Offer ends 3/15/2023, 11:59 PM ET. Offer may be modified or withdrawn without notice.
CD Account Options
First Hawaiian Bank has a wide variety of CD terms within three main CDs and they also require no monthly fees either.
If you want to learn more about their CDs, click here.
With this CD, you can set it aside for bill payments specifically.
They all have varying opening deposits depending on how long the CD term is.
You can learn more about Bank Bills CDs here.
This is the regular CD that First Hawaiian Bank offers. The opening deposit amounts also differ with each CD term’s length.
These CDs range from 12 months to 36 months.
This CD is only available to open online and you get free online banking with it.
You can open each CD with just $500, and the terms range from 6 months to 36 months.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available nationwide online, Discover offers CDs with some of the highest & most competitive rates! with select terms as short as 3 months up to 120 months
• Rates ranging from 1.50% APY up to 4.40% APY.
• Opening a Discover Bank Certificate of Deposit is extremely quick and easy.
• Funds on deposit are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.
• Start today with a minimum deposit of $2,500!
• Get started and open a Discover CD in 3 easy steps.
• Available online nationwide
• Earn up to 4.65% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the CIT Bank No-Penalty 11-Month CD:
• Earn 4.10% APY on your funds with just a $1,000 minimum deposit.
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
Reasons to Bank with First Hawaiian Bank
- You can link your checking and savings accounts to earn higher interest.
- All their savings accounts earn interest.
- Linking your checking and savings accounts prevent overdrafts.
- Their accounts have low minimum requirements.
- They are known to have great customer service. Their customer service is available 24/7.
- The monthly service fees aren’t that a lot and aren’t too hard to waive either.
- They have a wide variety of CD terms and options.
- You can conduct all your banking online or on the First Hawaiian Bank mobile app.
Reasons Not to Bank with First Hawaiian Bank
- Their checking accounts don’t earn interest.
- First Hawaiian Bank branches are only in Pacific Coast era.
- Most of their accounts earn low interest rates.
First Hawaiian Bank Routing Number
First Hawaiian Bank has three routing numbers:
- Hawaii: 121301015
- Guam: 121405238
- CNMI: 121403065
Contact Customer Service
You can reach First Hawaiian Bank at 808-844-4444. They operate 24 hours, 7 days a week.
How First Hawaiian Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Wells Fargo: Located throughout the US with over 5,800 branches and 13,000 ATMs. They offer a variety of deposits accounts, including accounts for teens and customers who need a second chance.
- Huntington Bank: Huntington Bank has various account options and offers checking bonuses, overdraft protection, free mobile banking, online bill pay, access to over several branches and ATMs, and much more.
If you prefer having a wider range of options over earning competitive interest rates, then First Hawaiian Bank might suit your needs.
Although they do not earn the best interest rates, they have various options within their checking, savings and CD accounts. You have a lot more flexibility with FHB’s account options than most bank’s.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
If First Hawaiian Bank has the variety and options you’re looking for, apply today! For more options from a variety of banks, see our list of the best bank promotions!