Chase is one of the biggest banks in the Unites States, they offer everything from personal banking to mortgages to loans, as well as a popular range of credit cards. Not to mention, they offer more checking options compared to other competitors.
Opening account with Chase is very straightforward since the requirements are generally low and it’s relatively easy to waive the service fees on the basic accounts, however interest rates are low for savings products.
Chase has new customer bonuses and an established presence nationwide, but there are some drawbacks when banking with them. Keep reading below to see if Chase if the right bank for your financing needs!
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|You InvestSM by J.P. Morgan||$625 Cash||Review|
Table of Contents
- 1 Who Chase Is Best For?
- 2 Checking Account Options
- 3 Compare Checking Account Options
- 4 Savings Account Options
- 5 Compare Savings Accounts
- 6 CD Accounts Options
- 7 Compare CD Accounts
- 8 Chase Account Features
- 9 How to Open a Chase Account
- 10 Other Chase Bank Services
- 11 Other Bonus & Offers
- 12 Reasons to Bank with Chase
- 13 Reasons Not to Bank with Chase
- 14 Chase Bank Routing Number
- 15 Contact Customer Service
- 16 How Chase Bank Compares
- 17 Chase Credit Cards
- 18 Bottom Line
Who Chase Is Best For?
Chase Bank is a good option for those who:
- Like to have all their financial activities under one bank.
- Need in-person banking services and want to access to branches and ATMs.
- Have regular direct deposits or usually leave a balance in your account.
- Are interested or are already using Chase credit cards.
Checking Account Options
Chase offers a variety of checking accounts for students, low income, and high net worth individuals.
It’s the most popular checking account from Chase. With Chase Total Checking®, you get access to Chase ATMs and nearly branches nationwide, free debit card, free online banking & bill pay, and mobile banking with their award winning Chase Mobile App. Chase QuickDepositSM lets you deposit checks almost anytime, anywhere with the ease of taking a picture.
This account gives you interest, as well as perks that includes: free Chase design checks, no fee on the first four non-Chase ATM transactions each statement period, and more!
The Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM account comes with free Chase Debit Card, free Online Banking and Online Bill Pay, free Mobile Banking, free Account Alerts, and free access to Chase ATMs and branches near you!
You can also earn interest with this premium checking account! It includes extra perks where you can get no ATM fees worldwide plus refunds of other banks’ fees, no foreign exchange rate adjustment fees, and more! You can get everything that this account has to offer!
With the Wells Fargo Platinum card:
Pay down balances/debt instead of interest with Wells Fargo’s longest intro APR. Check your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online® easily and get protected with zero liability protection for reported unauthorized transactions.
Benefit from convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map. On top of that, get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill using your Wells Fargo Platinum card.
This card comes with no annual fee.
If you’re a college student this is a good account for you. The Chase College Checking account comes with free Chase Debit Card, free Online Banking and Online Bill Pay, free Mobile Banking, free Account Alerts, and free access to Chase ATMs and branches plus many more.
If you’re starting to manage your own money or need help, this account can help you with that. This account requires a parent or guardian must be a joint owner for a checking account.
There is no minimum to open this account. This is account is specifically for those who have low income or bad credit who may have trouble opening an account. Keep in mind that overdrafts are not allowed on this account, you are only allowed to spend what you have.
This top tier checking account is for high net worth individuals! With Chase Private Client, you can manage your assets and access special perks, like a personal Private Client Banker, that can save you money and make your life easier. Enjoy personalized premium banking solutions and the expertise and investment capabilities of J.P. Morgan.
Compare Checking Account Options
Open your Asterisk-Free Checking® account today and enjoy:
• $150 bonus by making total deposits of at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening.
• Free to open and free to maintain with no monthly maintenance fees
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Relief
• All Day DepositSM
• Enjoy mobile & online banking
Savings Account Options
Chase’s interest rates are low, so if you’re top priority is to grow you money, you’ll what to look elsewhere. There are other savings accounts that pay over 2% in interest.
Despite the low interest, it can still be used as a secondary savings when you pair it with a Chase checking account. There are advantages to having linked accounts from the same bank like fast transfers and features like overdraft protection.
This is Chase’s basic savings account without any perks.
One of the most popular savings accounts in the market, Chase SavingsSM, makes it easy to start saving with online banking and mobile banking tools.
This account is designed to be paired with a Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM or Sapphire CheckingSM account. If you meet certain relationship requirements or have a bigger balance, you can earn higher interest rates.
The Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM account comes with free Chase Debit Card, free Online Banking and Online Bill Pay, free Mobile Banking, free Account Alerts, and free access to Chase ATMs and branches.
Compare Savings Accounts
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Bonus offer applies for your first Discover Online Savings Account
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB420 by 5/11/2020
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $25K by 5/25/2020 to earn the $200 Bonus
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $15K by 5/25/2020 to earn the $150 Bonus
• Earn high interest rate of 1.50% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
With the American Express® Personal Savings Account:
• Earn 1.60% APY on your deposits. Your Personal Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
CD Accounts Options
Certificate of Deposits require you to deposit a set amount of money for a set amount of time, there will be a penalty if you withdraw early.
It’s best to link a Chase CD to a personal Chase checking account, so you can get a higher relationship rate. Other than that the rates are low. But the bigger the balance the higher the interest rate.
- Terms of 1-month to 6 years
- Daily compounding interesting
- No monthly service fee
Chase offers good rates on their 9- to 11-month or 21- to 23- month CDs, if you link it with a Chase checking account. The rates are competitive if you can afford larger deposit.
However, other online banks do offer higher CD rates and some even have no opening minimums. It’s important to know that Chase no longer offers new retirement CDs.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available nationwide online, Discover offers CDs with some of the highest & most competitive rates! with select terms as short as 3 months up to 120 months
• Rates ranging from 0.35% APY up to 1.80% APY.
• Opening a Discover Bank Certificate of Deposit is extremely quick and easy.
• Funds on deposit are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.
• Start today with a minimum deposit of $2,500!
• Get started and open a Discover CD in 3 easy steps.
• Available online nationwide
• Earn 1.86% APY on a 12-Month CD Term
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the BBVA 12-Month and 36-Month CD:
• Earn 0.70% APY on 12-Month or 0.40% APY on 36-Month with just a $500 minimum deposit
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
Chase Account Features
Most of Chase’s checking and savings accounts offer these features and tools that you can use:
- Direct Deposit. You can directly send paychecks into your checking or savings.
- Chase QuickDeposit. Deposit checks from anywhere by taking a photo with your phone. The daily mobile check deposit limit is $2,000 and the monthly limit is $5,000.
- Cardless ATM Access. You can withdraw money at Chase ATMs card-free by logging into your mobile wallet and entering your PIN.
- Online Bill Pay. Pay thousands of billers online or via mobile app.
- QuickPay with Zelle. You can easily send money to another person with just their email or phone number.
- Automatic Savings Program. Create a recurring transfer from a Chase checking account to Chase savings account so you can grow your savings without thinking. You can choose the amount and frequency.
- Text banking. Check balances and transaction history by simply texting.
- Overdraft Protection. You must link a Chase checking and savings account for this feature. If you overdraw your checking account, Chase will transfer funds from your savings to cover it.
- Paperless Statements. See up to 7 years of statements online.
- Account Alerts. Set up alerts for account activity, such as for low balance, large transactions, and more.
How to Open a Chase Account
You can open a Chase account either in person at a branch or online.
College students will need their student ID or proof of enrollment for the College Checking account.
Please note that you must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien to open an account online. After filling in the application, just make your first deposit!
Other Chase Bank Services
Chase is a complete full-service bank. Besides personal banking products, Chase also offers these services:
Small business owners have a selection of checking and savings accounts. Chase also offers business financing and merchant services for collecting payment.
Chase is best known for their credit card lineup, offering huge welcome bonuses and good rewards. Chase has a number of highly valued cash back, travel rewards, and small business cards. You can see Chase’s best cards.
Chase is part of JP Morgan, one of the biggest investment banks in the world. It offers a low cost, self-directed platform through You Invest or managed services for high net worth clients.
Chase offers mortgages and home refinancing as well as a home equity line of credit.
Chase offers auto loans and auto refinancing. Chase checking customers can get a 0.25% rate discount when refinancing an existing auto loan.
Other Bonus & Offers
- Benefits for Service Members. Active and veteran members of the U.S. Armed Forced can receive a free Chase Premier Plus Checking with no monthly service fee and no balance requirements. You can also link Chase personal savings accounts for no service fees.
- Referral Bonuses. You can earn up to $500 a year when you refer friends to open a qualifying Chase checking or savings account.
- Free Credit Report. Anyone can enroll to get a free credit report from Chase. You don’t even need to be a Chase customer.
Reasons to Bank with Chase
- Chase coupon and bonuses for new customers
- Relatively low opening requirements
- Easy to waive service fees on basic accounts
- Many checking options for all financial situations
- Online and mobile banking from anywhere
- Free online bill pay, mobile deposits, and text banking
- 24/7 customer service with real reps
- Highly rated mobile app
- FDIC insured up to $250,000
- Full service bank with checking, savings, credit cards, loans, and investing
Reasons Not to Bank with Chase
- Low interest rates on savings products
- Not located in all states
- Requirements to waive monthly service fee
- High out-of-network ATM fees
- Many banking fees
- No retirement accounts
Chase Bank Routing Number
You can find your routing number by signing in to chase.com and clicking on the last four digits of your account number that appear above your account information. You can also find your routing/transit number on the bottom of each of your checks — next to the number of your checking account and the check number.
Contact Customer Service
For service on existing accounts 1-800-935-9935
Representatives available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For faster service and secure access to your account information, enter your debit card number and the same PIN you use at the ATM.
How Chase Bank Compares
- Bank of America: As one of the larger banks in the U.S. Many may choose BoA for the convenience of locations through out 35 states. However, BoA offers limited account options.
- Wells Fargo: Although there are more locations for this bank, their offerings pale in comparison to Regions because they don’t have as many. Wells Fargo, however, does have 24/7 customer service, but their benefits would be the most useful to current Wells Fargo mortgage customers instead.
- Ally Bank: An online bank with competitive interest rates compared to other online banks and higher rates than most brick and mortar ones.
Chase Credit Cards
Personal Chase Credit Cards
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®!
You'll earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide; 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. And when you redeem your points for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 25% more value!
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® offers 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
You'll earn 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. When redeeming your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 50% more value.
This card does carry a $550 annual fee and there are no foreign transaction fees. However, you're able to earn a $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year & up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre?®.
The Chase Freedom® Card offers a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate and an unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases. You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
This card has no annual fee and you'll get a free credit score that's updated weekly with Credit JourneySM.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® Card offers a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
There is no minimum to redeem for cash back & your cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open.
This card comes with no annual fee and you'll get a free credit score that is updated weekly with Credit JourneySM.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card offers 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. In addition, you'll earn 3,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
You'll earn 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases & Rapid Rewards® hotel/car rental partner purchases; 1x point on all other purchases - in which all points earned with either card count towards Companion Pass.
You're able to redeem your your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events & more!
This card does carry a $69 annual fee.
up to 75,000 points. Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, earn 35,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months your account is open.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card offers 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. In addition, you'll earn 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
You'll earn 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases & Rapid Rewards® hotel/car rental partner purchases; 1x point on all other purchases. You're able to redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events and more.
This card does carry a $99 annual fee, but there are no foreign transaction fee.
The UnitedSM Explorer Card offers 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
You'll earn 2X Miles per $1 spent at restaurants, hotel stays, & purchases from United; 1X miles for all other purchases.
Perks of this card include:
• Getting up to $100 Global Entry / TSA Pre?TM Fee Credit
• Get your first bag checked for free (up to $120 savings per roundtrip) when you using your Card to purchase your ticket
• Get priority boarding perks & visit the United Club with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
This card does come with a $95 annual fee, however, the annual fe is waived for the first year.
The IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card offers 75,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
You'll earn 15X points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel, 2X points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. 1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card has no annual fee or foreign transaction fees.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card offers 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. In addition, you'll earn 7,500 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary & get $75 Southwest® travel credit each year.
You'll earn 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases & Rapid Rewards® hotel/car rental partner purchases; 1x point on all other purchases.
Some perks include receiving 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available, savings of 20% back on in-flight drinks and WiFi, and more!
This card carries a $149 annual fee and no transaction fees.
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card offers 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months. You'll have the opportunity to earn an additional 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $20,000 within your first year of account opening.
You'll earn 3X Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and Level purchases & 2 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations, plus 1 Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card comes with a $95 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
The Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card offers 75,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott BonvoyTM & 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
You'll earn 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 6,900 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels & 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
You gain an automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year. Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
You'll receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year & an additional Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
This card does carry a $95 fee; there are no foreign transaction fees.
The The World Of Hyatt Credit Card offers 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $6,000 total within 6 months of account opening. With those points, free nights start at 5,000 points.
You'll earn 9 points total for Hyatt stays - 4 Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member. To add, you'll earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships.
This card does carry a $95 annual fee, however, the perks sure make up for it. For instance, you'll receive 1 free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort after your Cardmember anniversary and an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year.
Business Credit Cards
The Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card offers $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn an unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase made for your business and you'll receive employee cards at no additional cost.
This card carries no annual fee and you'll have the opportunity to take advantage of a 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases
The Chase Ink Business CashSM Card offers $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year, 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year, & % cash back on all other card purchases with no limit to the amount you can earn.
This card comes with no annual fee. You'll be able to take advantage of employee cards at no additional cost & the 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases.
The Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card offers 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
You'll earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year; 1 point per $1 on all other purchases - with no limit to the amount you can earn. Furthermore, points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee but does not have any foreign transaction fees.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Card offers 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open in addition to 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
You'll earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases and Rapid Rewards® hotel and car rental partner purchases; 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card does carry a $99 annual fee and there are no foreign transaction fees.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card offers 70,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 30,000 points after you spend $25,000 on purchases in the first 6 months.
This card earns 3X points per $1 spent on Southwest Airlines® purchases. 2X points per $1 spent on social media and search engine advertising, Internet, cable and phone services and 1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases
In addition, you can score 9,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary, get 4 upgraded boarding passes per year, and more!
The UnitedSM Business Card offers 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
You'll earn 2X miles per $1 at restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores and on United purchases. 1X mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
In addition, earn 2X miles per $1 spent on local transit and commuting- including train tickets, taxi cabs, mass transit, tolls and ride share services.
The card does carry a $99 annual fee, however, you're able to save up to $120 per roundtrip with a free checked bag. In addition, you have the opportunity for two one-time United ClubSM passes each year — Over $100 in value per year.
Also, enjoy $100 annual United travel credit after 7 flight purchases of $100 or more.
Chase is a good choice if you’re looking for a bank with full range of services, physical locations, available ATMs, and good mobile banking. However, with most brick and mortar banks don’t expect much in interest.
Otherwise then this is the bank for you! So if you’re interested in banking with Chase, see what they have to offer through Chase Bank Promotions! And while you’re here on HMB, check our full list of Best Bank Promotions for more options!