EL AL is the flag carrier of Israel and travels to over 50 destinations in North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia from Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv.
See our best credit card bonuses here.
EL AL’s frequent flyer program, Matmid Club, makes it possible for members to earn points for flying EL AL, and for transferring rewards from your IHG Rewards Club account. Matmid Club points can then be redeemed for flight awards and upgrades on EL AL, and more. Continue reading below to learn more about EL AL’s frequent flyer program.
Table of Contents
Matmid Club Summary
|Redemption Options||EL AL flights, upgrades, seating, inflight WiFi, merchandise, fuel surcharges, baggage, flight cancellation insurance, hotels, restaurant discounts, concert discounts, movie discounts, donations|
|Average Mile Value||$0.085|
Matmid Club Elite Status
EL AL Matmid Club is among the few airline loyalty programs that provide benefits to its base-level members. You are automatically given Matmid status upon enrollment and have access to prioritized seating and exclusive member offers.
Above Matmid level are four tiers: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Top Platinum. In order to receive elite status, you need to earn a certain amount of qualifying points, or a combination of qualifying points and flight segments, in 12 consecutive months.
|400 points||1,000 points||2,500 points||6,500 points|
|300 points +
10 flight segments
|500 points +
15 flight segments
|1,000 points +
20 flight segments
|5,000 points +
40 flight segments
Elite members enjoy the following perks:
|Last minute upgrade||×||×||×||×|
|Hand luggage x2 in economy||×||×||×|
|Checked baggage in economy||2||2||2||2/3|
|Seat selection benefits in economy||×||×||×|
|Access to King David Lounge||You + 10||You + 40||You + 60|
|Dedicated phone service center||×||×||×|
|Personal service by Personal Account Manager||×|
Lifetime Gold membership is awarded to those aged 67 years and over who have held Gold, Platinum or Top Platinum status for 10 consecutive years.
Earning Matmid Club Points
Matmid Club members earn points on EL AL flights, as well as on flights with airlines that EL AL operates code-share agreements with (Aeromexico, Qantas and South African Airways). How many points you earn depends on destination, booking class and elite status.
You’ll also earn Matmid Club points when you book Cash&Points flight tickets. The amount is dependent on booking class.
Receive Matmid Club points when you rent cars from the following partner brands:
- Avis – 10 points per rental, plus 15 points with Gold or Platinum status
- Budget & Hertz – 10 points per rental
- Europcar, Sixt & Ofran – 12 points per rental (minimum 7 days)
Please note, you won’t earn points for car rentals in Israel, but you can convert Hertz Shekels to Matmid Club points at a 7:2 ratio.
Earning Matmid Club Points With IHG Rewards Club
Note: As of January 1, 2021, EL AL Matmid Club is no longer a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards.
As a United States citizen, the easiest way to earn Matmid Club points is by transferring your IHG Rewards Club points at a 250:1 ratio. Credit cards that earn IHG Rewards Club points include:
The IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card offers 60,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
You'll earn up to 15X points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel, 2X points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. 1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card has no annual fee or foreign transaction fees.
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers 125,000 bonus points plus a Reward Night after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
You'll earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card offers several perks that you'll sure enjoy like: a free night after each account anniversary (you'll also receive a free night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights.) And as long as you're a cardmember, you'll have Platinum Elite status.
You'll get Global Entry or TSA Pre?® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card.
There is an annual fee of $89.
Redeeming Matmid Club Points
As a Matmid Club member, you can redeem your points on the following:
- Free flight awards with EL AL
- Points plus cash flight awards with EL AL
- Upgrade awards on EL AL flights
- Seating awards on EL AL flights
- WiFi awards on EL AL flights
- Merchandise awards on EL AL’s Duty Free on the Plane website
- Fuel surcharges, baggage and flight cancellation insurance awards
- Hotel awards
- Restaurant, concert & movie discount awards
- Merchandise awards at EL AL Matmid Club mall
- Charitable donations
Matmid Club points expire after 120 months of inactivity. Be sure to earn or burn your points at least every three years to keep your account active.
Matmid Club Tips & Tricks
Here are a few ways that you can maximize the value of your Matmid Club points:
- Fuel surcharges on award flights: For a round-trip ticket between the United States and Israel, EL AL charges $250. You can redeem 300 points to pay for $150 of the cost.
- Upgrades on cash tickets: Upgrade from economy to economy plus or business, or from business to first. A one-way upgrade from economy to business between New York City and Tel Aviv is 1,350 points. Business to first on the same flight costs 1,800 points.
- Short-haul flights: An example of this would be roundtrip flights between Tel Aviv and Athens. This can be as cheap as 100 points in the off season. You’ll typically find flights between Israel and Europe between 300 to 900 points, depending on the season and the destination.
After dissolving their partnership with American Express Membership Rewards, EL AL Matmid Club has become a lot less useful for American users. The frequent flyer program doesn’t have many options for U.S.-based members to earn Matmid Club points, nor does it have many attractive ways for Americans to burn points.