With the latest and longest lasting Government shutdown in recorded history, hundreds of thousands of workers are going without any pay. If you or any friends or family that you know are affected by this shut down, be sure to let them know about this post. We’ll go over many different specials and other resources going around to help those affected by this shut down.
A lot of financial institutions are offering aid to those affected by the shut down. Below is a small compiled list of different institutions offering aid.
- Bank of America. Customers can call or schedule an appointment for ‘personalized assistance.’ It’s not clear as to what this assistance entails.
- Capital One. Says assistance will be provided. It’s not clear as to what this assistance entails.
- Chase. Call the Chase’s hardship program. They will be waiving or refunding late fees, extending payments on car loans and leases and protecting credit histories by not reporting late payments and the like. In addition since December 24th Chase has been automatically waiving and refunding overdraft and monthly service fees on deposit accounts if an employee’s salary from an affected federal agency was direct deposited into the account in November, 2018.
- Citibank. Monthly service and overdraft fees are being automatically refunded or waived for federal employees with their salary being deposited into a Citibank account. Cardholders will also qualify for refunds, waivers of late fees, interest charge waivers, credit linit increases as well as collection forbearance and settlement programs.
- Discover. Discover customers are encouraged to call in to receive assistance, assistance is on a case by case basis but readers report receiving having late fees and interest fees reversed as well as having the option to skip payments until the shut down is over. No dedicated line has been set up.
- Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU). Interest free loans of up to $6,000 are being provided. The loan amount is calculated based on the most recent direct deposit of government pay you received, so having a deposit account with your government pay deposited into that NFCU account will be necessary. No credit check is done either which is fantastic. They will also be providing additional assistance.
- PenFed. They are offering customers the ability to skip payment for January, they are also offering a loan product with a 2% discount. Finally they are also offering a interest free loan of up to $6,000 if your payroll is deposited into your PenFed account.
- USAA. USAA is offering a special loan product and additional assistance to those affected.
- U.S. Bank. Offering a new low-rate quick loan product in addition to their standard assistance programs (unclear what these exactly are). When they say low rate, they mean it. The rate is 0.01% APY and loans range from $100 to $6,000, there is also a 12 month term.
- Wells Fargo. Dedicated phone line has been set up, they are automatically reversing monthly service and overdraft fees on deposit accounts. For loans they are also reversing and waiving late fees. They may still charge interest, but contact your bank. They may decide differently based on your case.
- PayPal. $500 interest free cash advance from PayPal. Looks like this will still do a hard pull on your credit.
- PNC. PNC will waive certain fees for customers that call in, it’s not clear what these fees are or if any other assistance will be provided.
- TD Bank. Can access up to $1,000 in additional funds with no overdraft fees or cost. They are also offering late fee refunds on most TD Bank credit cards and some loan assistance programs as well.
- WAEPA. Premiums for January has been refunded to all members, even if you’re not a government employee.
- Macaroni Grill: Offering all employees a free Mom’s Ricotta Meatballs + Spaghetti. Valid through 1/23/19 or until government shut down ends. Valid 11am – 4pm, not valid at airport or international locations. This can be used once per day.
- Fazoli’s: Through January 27th, participating Fazoli’s locations are offering furloughed federal government employees with valid ID a free Pizza Baked Spaghetti with the purchase of a drink.
- Great Harvest Bread Co.: Over 50 Great Harvest locations nationwide are setting up “Shutdown Shelves” and offering free bread to federal employees impacted by the partial government shutdown.
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop: Between January 23 – 27, government workers can get buy one, get one free entrees at Potbelly Sandwich Shop when they show a federal government ID.
- Ruby Slipper Cafe: Federal workers and their immediate families with a valid ID badge or business card will be treated to a free meal and beverage at participating Ruby Slipper Cafe locations (Monday-Friday only).
- Taco Cabana: Participating Texas Taco Cabana locations are offering federal employees affected by the federal government shutdown 20% off with valid federal government employee identification issued by a department affected by the shutdown. The discount will continue through the period of the shutdown unless otherwise announced and has a max cap of $20 in savings.
- Food Banks: Many people are making additional donations to food banks to help government employees during this difficult time. Please do not feel bad about using these resources; you’re put in a situation completely out of your control and people are donating for this exact cause. If and when the shut down ends, please consider donating to your local food bank.
- Pay It Furloughed: Visitors to the website can pay it forward and offer federal employees affected a free beer.
- #ChefsForFeds: From the looks of it, chefs from around the nation are offering to cook and feed federal workers.
- Whole Foods: Free spaghetti dinners every Thursday. Valid from 5PM to 7:30PM. Looks to be available at some D.C., Virginia & Maryland locations.
- JBJ Soul Kitchen, Red Bank New Jersey: Free meal from 12-2PM, they will also be helping federal workers to locate additional support and resources in the local area.
- Harlem Globetrotters: Any U.S. government employee currently on furlough can show their valid government ID at their local box office and receive two free tickets to a Harlem Globetrotter game in North America, while supplies last.
- Hudson Group: Currently offering TSA and customer workers 20% off food, beverages and core store products with their TSA or Transborder ID. This special will continue until the end of the shutdown.
- Museums: Many art museums, as well as select science and history museums, are offering free admission for furloughed federal employees during the U.S. government shutdown with valid ID. Contact your local museum for more details and to verify participation.
- Punch Bowl Social: Participating Punch Bowl Social locations are offering a 25% discount on food, beverages, and games to federal government employees with a valid ID (offers may vary). Be sure to check your location’s Facebook page to see if they are participating.
- Rosetta Stone: Through January 31st, furloughed government workers can get a free three-month standard Rosetta Stone online subscription for any of their available languages. Just email your name and the name of the government department or agency you work for to [email protected]
- Sky Zone: Participating Sky Zone Trampoline Park locations are offering furloughed federal government employees or those currently without pay and up to three immediate family members 60 minutes of free play every Tuesday through Thursday in January.
- Tanger Outlets: Through January 28th, any government workers affected by the shutdown are eligible for a free $20 gift card from Tanger Outlets with a federal ID.
- Wireless Providers: Customers affected by the shutdown are eligible for flexible payment options or short-term account assistance to keep service including cell phones, television, and internet running. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon are all offering assistance. Contact your local provider for more details.
If you or anyone you know are affected by the shut down, please let them know about all the opportunities around them. These are the opportunities we’ve found so far, but if you know of any additional aid, please be sure to let us known in the comments below. Be sure to find more posts on HMB! You can also check out our compiled lists of ways to Save Money!
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM: Earn $300 bonus when you open a new Chase Business Complete BankingSM account and deposit $2,000 or more in new money within 30 business days & maintain that balance for 60 days, and complete 5 qualifying transactions within 90 days. Chase offers financial products and services that let you bank when and how you want. Get Coupon---Chase Business Checking Review|
|Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking: Earn $750 bonus when you open a Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking account and make total deposits of at least $20,000 within 60 days of account opening. The $750 bonus will be deposited into your account after all requirements are met. This account is for larger businesses with high monthly transaction volume. Apply Now---Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking Review|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking: Earn $400 bonus when you open a Huntington Unlimited Business Checking account and make total deposits of at least $5,000 within 60 days of account opening. The $400 bonus will be deposited into your account after all requirements are met. This account is for businesses with higher checking activity and greater cash flow needs. Apply Now---Huntington Unlimited Business Checking Review|
|Huntington Business Checking 100: Earn $200 bonus when you open a Huntington Business 100 Checking account and make total deposits of at least $5,000 within 60 days of account opening. The $200 bonus will be deposited into your account after all requirements are met. This account is ideal for start-ups and small businesses with lower balances and checking activity. Apply Now---Huntington Business Checking 100 Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking: Earn $100 bonus when you open a new Axos Bank Basic Business Checking Account. The average daily balance of the account must be at least $5,000 in the first three months after account opening, in order to qualify for the $100 bonus.
Apply Now---Axos Bank Business Checking Review