Every person I know always goes to the airport at least an hour or two earlier than their flight just so they can make sure to get through TSA in time for their flight.
Considering that it’s the peak season for traveling currently, consider getting TSA PreCheck or the international version, Global Entry to help you avoid those ridiculously long lines. Currently, it costs $85 – $100 for five year renewal plans, depending on the program.
Fortunately, many credit cards offer a perk where you can avoid these by offering a fee credit toward TSA PreCheck or Global Entry. Simply pay with said card and you’ll receive your reimbursement as early as a couple of days.
Table of Contents
What is Global Entry?
Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports, where you must present a passport, fingerprint and customs declaration.
You must apply for the program and go through screening and a clearance process. This program helps you speed through the process of re-entry when you return to the U.S.
What is TSA PreCheck?
Similar to Global Entry, TSA PreCheck lets you expedite security screening but only at certain U.S. airports. This program has a pre-screening initiative that allows a select group of passengers the ability to move through security checkpoints with greater efficiency and ease when traveling. Just apply online, have a 10 minute in person interview, then add add your Known Traveler Number to your ticket and enjoy your perk!
Apply for Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
- Create an account for your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application
- Pay the $85 – $100 non-refundable fee with completion of application
- Schedule your in-person interview
- Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver’s license or ID card
- If approved, enjoy Global Entry/TSA PreCheck!
Credit Cards With Free Global Entry/TSA Precheck
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time bonus of 75,000 Miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
You're able to earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee. Enjoy no foreign transaction fees and receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre?®.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve offers 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
• 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually.
• 5X total points on flights
• 3X points on other travel and dining
• 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
When redeeming your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 50% more value.
This card does carry a $550 annual fee and there are no foreign transaction fees. However, you're able to earn a $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year & up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre?®.
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 80,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
This card comes with an annual fee of $695 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only. Terms Apply.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome offer of 120,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
• 1.5X Membership Rewards points on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
• 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases
• $189 CLEAR Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR membership. CLEAR is available at more than 50 U.S. airports and stadiums.
• Unlock over $1,000 in annual statement credits on a curation of business purchases, including select purchases made with Dell Technologies, Indeed, Adobe, and U.S. wireless service providers.
• Get $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year toward baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
This card does come with a $695 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees)
Other cards that include Free Global Entry or TSA PreCheck is:
- The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card – This card has a $300 annual travel credit perk that you can use on Global Entry Fees.
- The United Explorer Card – This card offers has a $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit. This is on top of two United Club one-time use passes each year and priority boarding.
Planning on traveling this summer and hate the ridiculously long security screening lines? Then check out Global Entry or TSA PreCheck! These programs let you expedite security screening when entering the U.S. with Global Entry or when traveling through select airports with TSA PreCheck.
To help you save, many credit cards offer a fee reimbursement as one of their perks. Check out some of the credit cards above that let you get Global Entry or TSA PreCheck for Free. Check out more ways to Save Money, here on HMB!
|BMO Harris Bank Checking: Earn $200 cash bonus when you open a new BMO Harris Smart AdvantageTM and have a total of at least $4,000 in qualifying direct deposits within the first 90 days. Learn More---BMO Harris Bank Checking Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking: Earn $300 bonus when you open a new TD Bank Beyond Checking account and set up direct deposit of at least $2,500. It comes with free online banking, free bill pay, and access to 1,300 ATMs. Apply Now---TD Bank Checking Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM: Get $100 as a new Chase checking customer when you open a Chase College CheckingSM account and complete 10 qualifying transactions within 60 days of account opening.
Apply Now---Chase College Checking Review