Ally Bank is an online bank with competitive interest rates compared to other online banks and higher rates than most brick and mortar ones. The products they offer have no minimum balance requirements or service fees.
Continue reading our guide to help you find the right Ally Bank account for you, which important documents needed to open one, and how to play in person or online!
See our best bank bonuses updated daily to earn up to $1,000 in free money. Find popular checking offers such as Chase Bank, HSBC Bank, TD Bank, Huntington Bank, BBVA, Discover Bank, and CIT Bank. See our best rates for Savings and CD too.
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM $300 Bonus||Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||HSBC Premier Checking Up To $600|
|HSBC Advance Checking $200 Bonus||HSBC Advance Checking Up To $240|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking $300 Bonus||TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $500 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $200 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|Axos Basic Business Checking $100 Bonus||Aspiration Spend & Save Account $100 Bonus|
|Ally Invest Up To $3,500 Bonus||Wise Business Banking $100 Bonus|
|WeBull 4 Free Stocks|
Table of Contents
How to Open an Ally Bank Account
Start out by visiting the Ally Bank website and select the “bank” drop option in the top navigation bar. Then find the product page for the account that you’re looking to open, and click on the “open new account” button.
In order to open an account with Ally, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- A Social Security number or tax identification number
- A U.S. residential street address
- Legal name
- Birthdate (you must be age 18 or older)
Then you can choose how you’re going to fund your new account and which terms you prefer. Once your application has been approved, you will receive a notification through your email.
Alternatively, you can also open an Ally Bank account by:
- Phone: call 1-877-247-2559. Customer service is available 24/7, so you can get help with your account whenever you need it.
- Mail: download the application form (under the “Forms” section) for the account that you’re looking to open, and then mail the completed form to the address listed on the application.
Ally Bank Account Options
Ally Bank has a variety of options from standard savings and checking accounts to CDs and individual retirement accounts.
Online Savings Account
They offer a very competitive APY for their savings account. Another perk is that it has no minimum deposit and no service fees. You can open as many savings accounts as you want, this is a major benefit if you are saving for multiple goals.
Interest Checking Account
Ally’s checking account offers two interest tiers based on your balance. Although the rate is low, it’s better compared to traditional checking accounts without any interest. You can also use any of the 55,000 Allpoint ATMs without any fees!
You can find their ATMs in popular stores like Target, Costco, Speedway, Walgreens, CVS, and Safeway. Plus if you do go out of network, Ally will reimburse any ATM fees up to $10 per statement cycle.
Money Market Account
For Ally’s Money Market account, you will get a free debit card and free checks. The APY on this account is less than that of Ally’s other accounts, but you do have the option of accessing your funds whenever you want.
Certificates of Deposit
You can choose from multiple FDIC-insure CD’s with different term lengths at Ally Bank.
- High-Yield CD: Choose from terms of 3 months to 5 years. The APY may differ depending on your opening deposit account. Ally offers excellent rates for short term CDs!
- Raise Your Rate CD: Choose between a 2-yr or 4-yr term, you’re usually locked into your rate for the entire term of the CD. But, with this account, your Rate CD gives you a chance to increase it if rate go up during the term. You can boost your rate once over the 2-year term or twice over the 4-year term.
- No Penalty CD: This CD has a fixed term of 11 months. It allows you to withdraw your full balance and interest at any time without penalty! This will give you flexibility to remove your money if you suddenly need it.
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||Up To $240||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|Wise Business Banking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Aspiration Spend & Save Account||$100 Cash||Review|
|American Express High Yield Savings||0.50% APY||Review|
|CIT Bank Money Market||0.50% APY||Review|
|Ally Invest||Up to $3,500 Cash||Review|