The USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card has an offer for 2,500 bonus points when you make your first card purchase. The value of the points are worth around $250. The welcome bonus is fair considering the minimum spending requirement is actually pretty easy to achieve compared to other requirements on our list of credit cards.
The USAA American Express Card comes with 2x points on gas and groceries and 1x points on all your everyday purchases. Also, this card comes with no annual fee, no maximum of how much cash back you can earn and no foreign transaction fees.
For similar cash back on these categories, check out the Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card. It also comes with a nice welcome bonus. See our list of welcome offers for more details on the SaverOne Credit Card.
* You can also compare this USAA card with other credit card bonuses!
Table of Contents
- 1 USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card Summary
- 2 Editor’s Alternate Pick
- 3 USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card 2,500 Bonus Points Offer
- 4 What Are USAA Rewards Points Worth?
- 5 USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card Top Features
- 6 USAA Credit Card Eligibility
- 7 Bottom Line
- 8 Who’s the Competition?
USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card Summary
|Bonus Available||Get 2,500 bonus points with your first purchase.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on gas and grocery purchases, and 1 point for every $1 spent on your everyday purchases.|
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No|
- No annual fee
- Bonus categories
- Military benefits
- Support a military affiliate
- No foreign transaction fees
- USAA membership required
- Good-Excellent credit needed to qualify
- Modest welcome bonus
Editor’s Alternate Pick
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card offers $200 cash back after spending $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn 3% Cash Back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores, plus 1% on all other purchases.
This card comes with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card 2,500 Bonus Points Offer
Be sure to take advantage of the USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card bonus 2,500 bonus points offer. These points are worth around $25.
To qualify, simply charge one purchase to your card. Fortunately, there is no minimum spending requirement, so you can charge anything.
What Are USAA Rewards Points Worth?
Similar to other points-based cards, the value of your points will depend on how you use them. We value each USAA rewards points at around $0.01.
Reward points can be redeemed for:
- Airline Travel Reward — toward the purchase of an airline ticket.
- Merchandise and Gift Reward — for available merchandise and gift cards.
- Cash Reward — for cash credited to your Account or deposited to your USAA checking or savings account.
- Charitable Contribution Reward — for a donation to a participating charity.
- Cruise Travel Reward — toward the purchase of a cruise ticket.
Get the most out of your points by using them for airline or cruise tickets. Redeeming points through this method will give you a return of greater than of $0.01 per point if you can get the timing right. To see more promotions that USAA has, check out their Rewards Service Center on usaa.com.
USAA Military Affiliate American Express Card Top Features
When you open your USAA Military Affiliate account, you can pick from a list of different branches of the military and their organizations to support:
- Air Force affiliates
- Air Force Association (AFA)
- Blue Star Families (BSF)
- Civil Air Patrol (CAP)
- Military Officers Association of America (MOAA)
- Army affiliates
- 101st Airborne Division Association (101st)
- Army Athletics (AA)
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
- Society of the First Infantry Division
- Coast Guard affiliates
- Coast Guard Exchange (CGX)
- Fleet Reserve Association (FRA)
- Naval Aviation Museum Foundation (NAMF)
- U.S. Naval Institute (USNI)
- Marines affiliates
- 1st Marine Division Association (FMDA)
- Marine Corps Association & Foundation
- Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA)
- The U.S. Navy Memorial (USNM)
- Navy affiliates
- Association of the U.S. Navy (AUSN)
- USNA Alumni Association & Navy Athletics
- Norwich University Alumni Association (NUAA)
- Virginia Military Institute Alumni Association (VMIAA)
- Veteran Groups
- The American Legion
- American Veterans (AMVETS)
- Military Order of the Purple Heart (MORPH)
- The Sons of the American Legions
If you’re an active duty member, you can qualify for various benefits such as:
- Deployment/PCS rate. Get a 4% APR (lower than the SCRA requires) on all balances for up to 12 months during deployments or PCS.
- Special SCRA rate. When you have a balance on your account at the time you enter active duty, get 4% APR on that existing balance until one year after you complete active duty.
- Access to deployment team. Knowledgeable staff can help you before, during and after deployment.
Make purchases abroad without worrying about foreign transaction fees with the USAA Military Affiliate Visa Signature card.
USAA Credit Card Eligibility
USAA is dedicated to serving the military as well as their families, so you must be affiliated with the military in order to apply for this card. This includes all of the following requirements:
- You are serving in the U.S. military or were honorably discharged.
- You are joining the U.S. military.
- Your parent is (or was) a USAA member.
- Your spouse is (or was) a USAA member.
- Your spouse served honorably in the U.S. military.
If you meet the requirements, you can join USAA for free.
The USAA Military Affiliate American Express card is an excellent card to have if you want to support your preferred branch of the military or just the whole military in general. This card offers 2x points back on gas and groceries as well as 1x points on everyday purchases with no cap as to how much you can earn.
One of the only downsides of this card is that American Express is not as universally accepted as Visa is, so if you’re going to a lot of places that don’t take AMEX, you might want to look elsewhere.
However, if you’re looking for a rewards card that will give you more points back, there are other credit cards that offers more than what the USAA Military Affiliate card is offering. But if you’re interested in posts like this, check out the latest Military Discounts!
(Visit USAA to learn more about this card.)
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Who’s the Competition?
Looking For Modest Bonus Spending Requirements?
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card offers $200 Cash Back after spending $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
You'll be able to earn 1.5% Cash Back on every purchase, every day with no rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards.
This card comes with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees which makes this card a viable option for your go-to everyday card.
The Chase Freedom Flex offers a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
• Earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target or Walmart purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
• Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
• Earn 5% on Chase travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards, 3% on dining and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back. You'll be able to new 5% categories each quarter!
This card has no annual fee.