American State Bank has a pretty decent variety of account options. To find out if American State Bank is right for you, continue reading the review below.
They offer a free checking account and rewards checking accounts that earn interest as well.
See our best bank bonuses updated daily to earn up to $1,000 in free money. Find popular checking offers such as Chase Bank, HSBC Bank, TD Bank, Huntington Bank, BBVA, Discover Bank, and CIT Bank. See our best rates for Savings and CD too.
|Chase Business Checking $300 Bonus||Chase Private Client $2,000 Bonus|
|Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus||Chase SavingsSM $150 Bonus|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||HSBC Premier Checking Up To $600|
|HSBC Advance Checking $200 Bonus||HSBC Advance Checking Up To $240|
|TD Bank Premier Checking $300 Bonus||TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $500 Bonus||Huntington 5 Checking $200 Bonus|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking $150 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $200 Bonus|
|Axos Basic Business Checking $100 Bonus||Aspiration Spend & Save Account $100 Bonus|
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 Reasons to Bank with American State Bank
- 6 Reasons Not to Bank with American State Bank
- 7 American State Bank Routing Number
- 8 Contact Customer Service
- 9 How American State Bank Compares
- 10 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
American State Bank offers a good variety of checking accounts with consistent opening deposits and balance requirements.
You might have to contact the bank to figure out the opening deposits or minimum balance requirements, but it seems all their accounts don’t have monthly fees.
Their checking accounts come with the standard features that most accounts have.
A high interest bearing account that will earn interest when the requirements are met.
There are no monthly fees.
A high yielding account if you manage to maintain $10,000 as a daily balance to earn interest.
Another interest bearing account that will start earning interest on daily balances of $500 or more.
A free checking account that requires no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements.
Since it is free, it does not earn interest.
Compare Checking Accounts
Open your Asterisk-Free Checking® account today and enjoy:
• $150 bonus by making total deposits of at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening.
• Free to open and free to maintain with no monthly maintenance fees
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Relief
• All Day DepositSM
• Enjoy mobile & online banking
Savings Account Options
American State Bank has a few savings accounts that all earn interest, but they are pretty standard.
This savings account earns tiered interest rates and can be opened with $50.
The interest is paid quarterly.
A savings account that lets you earns money market interest rates and requires $1,000 to open.
The interest is paid monthly.
This account is available for students and they will need an opening deposit of $250.
The interest is paid annually however.
Compare Savings Accounts
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn high interest rate of 0.60% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
• Enjoy a $150 bonus when you open a new Chase SavingsSM account, deposit a total of $10,000 or more in new money within 20 business days, and maintain a $10,000 balance for 90 days
• Access to 16,000 Chase ATMs and nearly 4,900 branches
• Link this account to your Chase checking account for Overdraft Protection.
• Chase Mobile® app – Manage your accounts, deposit checks, transfer money and more — all from your device.
• Open your account online now.
• Available online nationwide except in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. For branch locations, visit locator.chase.com.
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.60% APY on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
Reasons to Bank with American State Bank
- Good ratio of checking to savings account.
- Offers a totally free checking account with no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements.
- Has a money market savings account that has the benefits of a regular savings and money market.
- Offers a student savings account for college students.
- Their savings and money market accounts earn a pretty high APY.
- Conduct all your banking online or with the American State Bank mobile app.
Reasons Not to Bank with American State Bank
- They are only located in Iowa and South Dakota with a total of nine physical branches.
- Doesn’t display opening deposits for their checking accounts.
- Absence of a children checking or savings account.
- Lack of a senior checking or savings account.
- Lack of a holiday savings account given all the checking account options.
American State Bank Routing Number
The routing number for American State Bank varies depending on state and regions. You can also check the lower left corner of your American State Bank check.
Contact Customer Service
Their phone numbers and business hours vary on location. You can check their website for the different hours each location has.
How American State Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Discover Bank: Discover Bank is also an online nationwide bank that offers bonuses for their checking and savings accounts! You can earn cash back rewards when you open a checking account and generous bonuses for opening a savings one.
- Wells Fargo: Located throughout the US with over 5,800 branches and 13,000 ATMs. They offer a variety of deposits accounts, including accounts for teens and customers who need a second chance.
If you live in Iowa and South Dakota and like having a variety of options when it comes to opening a checking account, then American State Bank might have one that suits you.
They do offer a totally free checking account with no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements, just be mindful of the various opening deposits they have for their savings accounts.
You will also have to mostly likely call the bank to find out the opening deposits and benefits that their checking accounts offer.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
If American State Bank has the variety and options you’re looking for, apply today! For more options from a variety of banks, see our list of the best bank promotions!