American State Bank has a pretty decent variety of account options. To find out if American State Bank is right for you, continue reading the review below.
They offer a free checking account and rewards checking accounts that earn interest as well.
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 Reasons to Bank with American State Bank
- 6 Reasons Not to Bank with American State Bank
- 7 American State Bank Routing Number
- 8 Contact Customer Service
- 9 How American State Bank Compares
- 10 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
American State Bank offers a good variety of checking accounts with consistent opening deposits and balance requirements.
You might have to contact the bank to figure out the opening deposits or minimum balance requirements, but it seems all their accounts don’t have monthly fees.
Their checking accounts come with the standard features that most accounts have.
A high interest bearing account that will earn interest when the requirements are met.
There are no monthly fees.
A high yielding account if you manage to maintain $10,000 as a daily balance to earn interest.
Another interest bearing account that will start earning interest on daily balances of $500 or more.
A free checking account that requires no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements.
Since it is free, it does not earn interest.
Compare Checking Accounts
Savings Account Options
American State Bank has a few savings accounts that all earn interest, but they are pretty standard.
This savings account earns tiered interest rates and can be opened with $50.
The interest is paid quarterly.
A savings account that lets you earns money market interest rates and requires $1,000 to open.
The interest is paid monthly.
This account is available for students and they will need an opening deposit of $250.
The interest is paid annually however.
Compare Savings Accounts
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Bonus offer applies for your first Discover Online Savings Account
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB622 by 09/15/2022
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $25K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $200 Bonus
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $15K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $150 Bonus
• Earn high interest rate of 1.70% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 1.65% APY as of 8/19/22 on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• 24/7 Account Access
Reasons to Bank with American State Bank
- Good ratio of checking to savings account.
- Offers a totally free checking account with no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements.
- Has a money market savings account that has the benefits of a regular savings and money market.
- Offers a student savings account for college students.
- Their savings and money market accounts earn a pretty high APY.
- Conduct all your banking online or with the American State Bank mobile app.
Reasons Not to Bank with American State Bank
- They are only located in Iowa and South Dakota with a total of nine physical branches.
- Doesn’t display opening deposits for their checking accounts.
- Absence of a children checking or savings account.
- Lack of a senior checking or savings account.
- Lack of a holiday savings account given all the checking account options.
American State Bank Routing Number
The routing number for American State Bank varies depending on state and regions. You can also check the lower left corner of your American State Bank check.
Contact Customer Service
Their phone numbers and business hours vary on location. You can check their website for the different hours each location has.
How American State Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Discover Bank: Discover Bank is also an online nationwide bank that offers bonuses for their checking and savings accounts! You can earn cash back rewards when you open a checking account and generous bonuses for opening a savings one.
- Wells Fargo: Located throughout the US with over 5,800 branches and 13,000 ATMs. They offer a variety of deposits accounts, including accounts for teens and customers who need a second chance.
If you live in Iowa and South Dakota and like having a variety of options when it comes to opening a checking account, then American State Bank might have one that suits you.
They do offer a totally free checking account with no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements, just be mindful of the various opening deposits they have for their savings accounts.
You will also have to mostly likely call the bank to find out the opening deposits and benefits that their checking accounts offer.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
If American State Bank has the variety and options you’re looking for, apply today! For more options from a variety of banks, see our list of the best bank promotions!