For the frequent American Airlines flyers that are looking to earn miles for their flights, consider signing up for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. This card offer several perks that travelers will definitely love to take advantage of.
The card offers 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. There is no introductory annual fee for the first year but a $99 fee will apply thereafter. If you would like to know more about what the card has to offer, continue reading on!
* The Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is issued by Citibank. They also offer great sign-up bonuses for their Checking/Savings accounts. You can also compare this card with other credit card bonuses!
Table of Contents
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Summary
|Bonus Available||Get 20,000 bonus points after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within 90 days of account opening.|
|Travel Credit||Earn a $100 American Airlines flight discount after you spend at least $20,000 in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||2 miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, 2 miles for every $1 spent on dining and gas, and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
Free checked bag for you and up to 4 others on your reservation.
25% savings on in flight food and beverage purchases.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No|
|Airport Lounge Access||N/A|
|Annual Fee||$99, waived first 12 months|
- Bonus miles
- Free checked bag & preferred boarding
- Flight Discount
- Option to redeem with partner airlines
- No foreign transaction fees
- Has an annual fee
- Good-Excellent credit needed to qualify
- Not the best choice if you don’t fly American often
Editor's Alternate Pick
Definitely take a look at The United Explorer Card from Chase.
You can learn more about the card here.
With the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card:
• Earn 30K bonus points when you spend $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months – that’s a $300 cash redemption value
• $0 Annual Fee
• Earn 3X points for eating out and ordering in
• Earn 3X points for gas stations, rideshares and transit
• Earn 3X points for travel including flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals
• Earn 1X points on other purchases
• 0% Intro APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 16.24%-28.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Card
60,000 Bonus Miles
You should take advantage of one of the 60,000 sign-up bonus, it's one of the best benefits that Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Card has to offer! You can redeem up to $840 airfare with that!
This is one of the most competitive bonus offer compared to other cards with similar annual fees! In order to earn it, you will need to make at least $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of opening your account.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on the bank.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
What are AAdvantage Miles Worth?
The value of your miles depends on how you use them. On average, we value each AAdvantage mile at around $0.014. towards American Airlines, American Eagle and OneWorld flights, orr with one of their many partners listed below!
AAdvantage miles can also be used towards gift cards, magazines, seat upgrades, car rentals and hotel stays. But the best value for your miles is to use them towards flights.
Cardholders have discount privileges. When you use your AAdvantage miles to purchase round-trip domestic MileSAAver flights, you get to book award travel for:
- 7,500 miles on longer destinations
- 2,000 miles on shorter destinations
Please note that destinations change monthly, and MileSAAver seats are limited.
Why You Should Apply For This Card
- First checked bag free on domestic American Airlines itineraries
- Preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases on American Airlines flights when you use your card
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card
- No foreign transaction fees
Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Card Top Features
First checked bag free. How much have you spent on checked bags on your recent trips? At $30 a pop, that can add up. When you fly American Airlines within the United States, your baggage fees (and the fees of up to 4 people in your party) are waived. Go on two round trips with a travel partner and your baggage-fee savings will negate the card’s annual fee.
Preferred boarding. Get on the plane before the rest of economy class. That guarantees overhead bin space for your carry-on and gives you ample time to settle in.
In-flight discount. Enjoy a 25% savings on American Airlines inflight food and beverages. To qualify, you must charge these purchases to your card.
Bonus rewards on airline purchases on an airline-branded card is a given. Double rewards on everyday spending is not. With this card, enjoy 2x rewards on purchases at restaurants and gas stations. These extra bonus categories will get you a free flight before you know it.
Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount when you spend at least $20,000 in purchases within a year. You must renew your card to qualify.
With 23 airline partners, you can use and earn AAdvantage miles for travel to over 1,000 destinations worldwide. Check them out below.
|Air Tahiti Nui||Alaska Airlines||British Airways|
|Cape Air||Cathay Pacific||Etihad Airways|
|Fiji Airways||Finnair||Gulf Air|
|Japan Airlines||Jet Airways||LATAM Airlines|
|Malaysia Airlines||Qantas||Qatar Airways|
|Royal Jordanian Airlines||S7 Airlines||Seaborne Airlines|
Make sure your miles don’t expire. Earn or redeem with American Airlines or an AAdvantage partner at least once every 18 months.
Make purchases abroad without worrying about foreign transaction fees. Although this perk is more common nowadays, it’s still worth noting.
|Best Credit Card Categories|
|0% APR||Airline Rewards||Balance Transfer|
|Cash Back||Hotel Rewards||Military|
|No Annual Fee||No Foreign Transaction Fee||Premium|
|Small Business||Student||Travel Rewards|
For all your travel needs, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is the perfect option for you. The 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles applies after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening .
Not only will this card help you save money, but you can start earning miles faster towards your next vacation! For more credit cards, see our latest list of the best credit card bonuses!
(Visit the link above to learn more about this card.)
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone.
Who's the Competition?
Consider a general travel rewards card instead, you can use your rewards towards any airline or hotel of your choosing. Here are some good options: Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, and the American Express Gold Card.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
• Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
With the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Card:
• Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
• Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
• Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
• Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre?®
• Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
• Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
• No foreign transaction fees
• $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
With the American Express® Gold Card:
• Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
• Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
• Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
• $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
• Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees.
• Annual Fee is $250.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Alternative Airlines Credit Cards
Here are some popular co-branded airline credit cards to consider: Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, United Explorer Card, and the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card.
With the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express:
• Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
• Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta.
• Earn one mile for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases.
• Check your first bag free on Delta flights – that’s a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four.
• Settle into your seat sooner with Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
• Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
|Simple High-Yield Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account (Cashback Match)||$360 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|