So you’ve opened a couple of bank accounts for the juicy signup bonuses, but you’re starting to get an overwhelming amount of accounts to juggle. Now you’re trying to find the most convenient way possible to close your accounts.
You should know that every bank accepts different methods of account closing. Some accept secure messages and phone calls while others might only allow you to close the account in-branch.
Common Account Closing Methods
- Secure Messaging: Some banks have a secure messaging platform that customers are allowed to use to communicate with the bank. You usually have to sign into your account, and then access the messaging service.
- Phone Call: By giving just a simple phone call, some banks will allow you to close your account. You’ll need some identification during this process so the bank knows that you are the owner.
- Certified Letter: If you really don’t want to go to the bank, you can send the bank a certified letter to cancel your account. This method ensures privacy for the user and the receiver.
- In-branch: This is the old-fashion way to close your account. You’ll just walk in and talk to a customer service representative to close your account.
Before you close your account, you’ll want to make sure you’ve completed a couple of criteria:
- Make sure your bonus is listed in the account.
- Keep the account open long enough to avoid the Early Termination Fee.
To close your account, make sure you:
- Find a new bank
- Review and transfer automatic payments and recurring transactions
- Transfer your money from your old bank to your new bank
- Close the account and request a written letter
This list will show you different ways to close your bank account. We will continually be updating this list, so tell us about your experiences in the comment section below.
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||Up To $240||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|Wise Business Banking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Aspiration Spend & Save Account||$100 Cash||Review|
|American Express High Yield Savings||0.50% APY||Review|
|CIT Bank Money Market||0.50% APY||Review|
|Ally Invest||Up to $3,500 Cash||Review|