ATMs are your best friend when you need to make a deposit outside of your bank’s operating hours. Many major banking institutions such as Chase and Capital One has placed convenient ATMs across the nation.
These machines provide service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so you can bank whenever & wherever you need. Using an ATM is extremely simple and requires minimal hassle, after all, these machines features customer friendly interface and step by step instructions!
Just in case you want to familiarize yourself with how an ATM works before hand, we have listed some steps that can ensure a smooth transaction.
What is an ATM?
ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine. ATMs are special computers that makes it easy for consumer to manage their money. For example, most ATMs allow users to withdraw money and make deposits.
In addition to those two functions, they can also be used to print statements (record of all account activity and transactions), check account balances, transfer money between accounts, and purchase stamps.
Why use ATMs? They are a safe and convenient way to manage your money. On top of that, there are millions of ATMs worldwide and you can access them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Some even allow you to select a different language to make it easier for you.
Are there ATM fees? Depending on the bank or financial institution you are with, there may be ATM fees if you use an ATM that is out of your network. Also, almost all banks charge a fee to non-customers who use their ATMs, but it is still less expensive than using a check cashing service.
Using An ATM
- Find an ATM online or via your bank’s mobile app.
- Minimize risks by checking your surrounding for suspicious activity, people, or ATM equipment.
- Insert your card into the card reader. ATMs should provide instruction on how the black magnetic stripe need to be aligned. Some machines returns your card immediately while others takes a hold of it until transactions are completed.
- Enter your PIN number on the keypad to prove you are an authorized user, make sure you are doing this away from prying eyes.
- While at the ATM, you are able to choose various banking options including:
- Withdrawals: The most common way to use an ATM, you’re simply taking cash out of your account.
- Deposits: Growing in popularity, put money into your account through cash and checks.
- Balance Inquiries: This simply shows how much money you have in your bank account or debit card.
- Transfer & Payments: This tool may be available depending on your bank.
- Although not a real step, beware of the fees when using an ATM that isn’t affiliated with your bank. Most ATMs will display these fees, so you have some room to think about your transaction. If you don’t feel like paying the fee, check out our list of Best ATM Fees.
- ATMs will asks whether or not you want a physical receipt whenever you finished making a transaction. It is totally up to you whether or not you want a copy. Receipts can be useful in book keeping but also detrimental if someone sees your account information.
- Remember to close out your session and remove your card.
|TD Bank Checking Bonus: Earn $300 with the Beyond Checking account when you receive direct deposits of $2,500 or more within 60 days of opening your account. Earn $150 with the Convenience Checking account when you receive direct deposits of $500 or more within 60 days of opening your account. Apply Now---TD Bank Checking Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM: Get $100 as a new Chase checking customer when you open a Chase College CheckingSM account and complete 10 qualifying transactions within 60 days of account opening. The account comes with free Chase Debit Card, Mobile Check Deposit, Banker guidance, Text banking and QuickPay with Zelle. Apply Now---Chase College Checking Review|
|HSBC Premier checking account: Get up to $700 when you open a Premier checking account. You'll enjoy 2% Cash Back on Qualifying Direct Deposits into your new HSBC Premier checking account, up to $60 per month, during the first 12 calendar months after account opening – that’s up to $700. Member FDIC Terms|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM – Earn $300 bonus when you open a new Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM account and set up direct deposit. The Chase Premier Checking account comes with free Chase Debit Card, free Online Banking and Online Bill Pay, free Mobile Banking, free Account Alerts, and more. Apply Now---Chase Premier Plus Checking Review|
Banks provide a wide arrays of tools to service you, the customer, so make sure to take full advantage of it! If it’s the weekends or a national holiday and the bank is not open for business then take the matter into your own hands. Find an ATM machine that can provide accessibility to your funds.
Keep in mind that if you use an ATM machine that is not owned or affiliated with your bank, it is very likely you will incur fees. Be on the lookout for card skimmers and bring a buddy along for extra protection. Check out HMB’s in-dept list on Best Bank Account Bonuses, Credit Card Promotions, and Bank Rates.