ATMs are your best friend when you need to make a deposit outside of your bank’s operating hours. Many major banking institutions such as Chase and Capital One has placed convenient ATMs across the nation.
These machines provide service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so you can bank whenever & wherever you need. Using an ATM is extremely simple and requires minimal hassle, after all, these machines features customer friendly interface and step by step instructions!
Just in case you want to familiarize yourself with how an ATM works before hand, we have listed some steps that can ensure a smooth transaction.
See our best bank bonuses updated daily to earn up to $1,000 in free money. Find popular checking offers such as Chase Bank, HSBC Bank, TD Bank, Huntington Bank, BBVA, Discover Bank, and CIT Bank. See our best rates for Savings and CD too.
|Chase Business Checking $300 Bonus||Chase Private Client $2,000 Bonus|
|Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus||Chase SavingsSM $150 Bonus|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||HSBC Premier Checking Up To $600|
|HSBC Advance Checking $200 Bonus||HSBC Advance Checking Up To $240|
|TD Bank Premier Checking $300 Bonus||TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $500 Bonus||Huntington 5 Checking $200 Bonus|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking $150 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $200 Bonus|
|Axos Basic Business Checking $100 Bonus||Aspiration Spend & Save Account $100 Bonus|
What is an ATM?
ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine. ATMs are special computers that makes it easy for consumer to manage their money. For example, most ATMs allow users to withdraw money and make deposits.
In addition to those two functions, they can also be used to print statements (record of all account activity and transactions), check account balances, transfer money between accounts, and purchase stamps.
Why use ATMs? They are a safe and convenient way to manage your money. On top of that, there are millions of ATMs worldwide and you can access them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Some even allow you to select a different language to make it easier for you.
Are there ATM fees? Depending on the bank or financial institution you are with, there may be ATM fees if you use an ATM that is out of your network. Also, almost all banks charge a fee to non-customers who use their ATMs, but it is still less expensive than using a check cashing service.
Using An ATM
- Find an ATM online or via your bank’s mobile app.
- Minimize risks by checking your surrounding for suspicious activity, people, or ATM equipment.
- Insert your card into the card reader. ATMs should provide instruction on how the black magnetic stripe need to be aligned. Some machines returns your card immediately while others takes a hold of it until transactions are completed.
- Enter your PIN number on the keypad to prove you are an authorized user, make sure you are doing this away from prying eyes.
- While at the ATM, you are able to choose various banking options including:
- Withdrawals: The most common way to use an ATM, you’re simply taking cash out of your account.
- Deposits: Growing in popularity, put money into your account through cash and checks.
- Balance Inquiries: This simply shows how much money you have in your bank account or debit card.
- Transfer & Payments: This tool may be available depending on your bank.
- Although not a real step, beware of the fees when using an ATM that isn’t affiliated with your bank. Most ATMs will display these fees, so you have some room to think about your transaction. If you don’t feel like paying the fee, check out our list of Best ATM Fees.
- ATMs will asks whether or not you want a physical receipt whenever you finished making a transaction. It is totally up to you whether or not you want a copy. Receipts can be useful in book keeping but also detrimental if someone sees your account information.
- Remember to close out your session and remove your card.
|HSBC Advance checking account: Get up to $240 when you open an Advance checking account. You'll receive 3% Cash Bonus, up to $240, on Qualifying Direct Deposits up to $40 per month, during the first 6 calendar months after account opening. Member FDIC Terms|
|HSBC Advance checking account: Earn $200 Bonus with a new HSBC Advance checking account with qualifying activities. Make recurring monthly Direct Deposits totaling at least $500 to your HSBC Advance checking account(s) for 3 consecutive calendar months. Member FDIC Terms|
|Chase SavingsSM: Earn $150 bonus when you open a new Chase SavingsSM account, deposit a total of $10,000 or more in new money within 20 business days & maintain a $10,000 balance for 90 days. You can link this account to your Chase checking account for Overdraft Protection. Apply Now---Chase Savings Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking: Earn $300 bonus when you open a new TD Bank Beyond Checking account and set up direct deposit of at least $2,500. It comes with free online banking, free bill pay, and access to 1,300 ATMs. Apply Now---TD Bank Promotions|
Banks provide a wide arrays of tools to service you, the customer, so make sure to take full advantage of it! If it’s the weekends or a national holiday and the bank is not open for business then take the matter into your own hands. Find an ATM machine that can provide accessibility to your funds.
Keep in mind that if you use an ATM machine that is not owned or affiliated with your bank, it is very likely you will incur fees. Be on the lookout for card skimmers and bring a buddy along for extra protection. Check out HMB’s in-dept list on Best Bank Account Bonuses, Credit Card Promotions, and Bank Rates.