Citibank offers a wide range of services for different kinds of customers, from individuals and small businesses, to corporations and government entities. Open an account with Citibank to utilize their services.
Continue reading our guide to help you on finding the right account for you, which important documents needed to open one, and how to play in person or online!
Steps on Opening an Citibank Account
1. Determine Which Account to Open
Citibank offers different accounts, so the Citibank account you want to open will depend on your current banking needs and your financial situation.
- Citigold: Ideal for people who hold high account balances
- Citi Priority: Ideal for people who hold medium-to-high account balances
- The Citibank Account: Ideal for people who want interest checking and can hold a balance of $10,000 or more
- Basic Banking: Ideal for people who just want the basics
- Access Account: Ideal for people who want to utilize some of the perks of banking without the hassle of overdraft fees or checks
- Citi Savings: Interest rates vary depending on which checking account you open in conjunction (the account package you choose)
2. Gather Personal Information
If you choose to apply for an account online or in person, Citibank will need the following documents and information from you in order to meet their account opening requirements.
- Personal information (name, date of birth)
- Social Security number
- Contact information (phone number, email, address)
- Employment status and income
- Any other information that will allow Citibank Bank to verify that you are who you say you are
When applying in person, make sure to bring your driver’s license, state ID or military ID to verify your identity.
3. Apply online or in Person
Once you’ve gathered the important documents and information, you can apply to open an account with Citibank either online or in person. You can follow these steps:
- Go to the Citibank homepage
- Click on “Open an account” in the top right
- Select the specific account you would like to open
- Fill out the necessary information
You can visit the nearest Citibank branch to apply in-person and a representative will help you with the application process. We recommend this for new Citibank customers, so they can get the starting guide they need!
Citibank Account Fees & Features
Like many other major banks, Citibank gives you access to a variety of checking, savings, and CD accounts. Keep reading the tables below to see the main fees and features of their checking and savings accounts.
Checking Account Fees & Features
The table below lists all the different minimums, fees and benefits for each Citibank checking account, so you can decide which is right for you.
|Citibank Checking Accounts at a Glance|
|Fees and Features||Citigold||Citi Priority||The Citibank Account||Basic Banking||Access Account|
|Minimum opening deposit||$0||$0||$0||$0||$0|
|Monthly service charge||$0||$30 if savings is linked||$25||$12 with savings linked, $4.50 without||$10 with savings linked, $4.50 without|
|Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fee||$0||$0||$0 if monthly balance requirements are met||Waived if account owner is 62 or older||$2.50|
|Overdraft fee||$10 fee overdraft protection transfer fee||$10 fee overdraft protection transfer fee||$10 fee overdraft protection transfer fee||$10 fee overdraft protection transfer fee||n/a|
|Benefits||No fees or minimums, professional guidance||No minimum, fees waived with qualifying balance||Lower balance requirement than gold and priority packages||Simple, no high balance requirements||No overdraft fee, easy bill pay and transfers|
Savings Account Fees & Features
Citibank only offers one type of saving accounts to choose from. Take a quick glance at it to help decide if it’s the right fit for you:
|Citibank Savings Accounts at a Glance|
|Fees and Features||Citi Savings|
|Minimum opening deposit||$0|
|Monthly service charge||$0-$30, depending on account package|
|Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fee||$0 -$2.50, depending on account package|
|Overdraft fee||$10 overdraft protection transfer fee|
|Benefits||Tiered and competitive interest rates based on balance|
How to Avoid Unwanted Fees
The best way to avoid any unwanted fees that you might occur during your time with the bank is to keep yourself informed as to what’s happening. With your account opening, you should have access to the full fee schedule for any bank account you may sign up for.
In addition, it’s important to know the requirements of your account. Here are the requirement for different Citibank accounts:
- Citigold: No service fees, but you need $200,000+ to qualify for the account
- Citi Priority: Maintain a combined monthly average of $50,000+
- The Citibank Account: Maintain a combined monthly average of $10,000+
- Basic Banking: Make one qualifying direct deposit or bill pay per statement, maintain a combined monthly average of $1,500+ or be 62 or older
- Access Account: Make one qualifying direct deposit or bill pay per statement, or maintain a combined monthly average of $1,500+
How to Protect Your Bank Account
In today’s digital age, everything has transferred to the online world, and that includes crimeHere are some precautions to take to avoid fraud:
- Use strong passwords that nobody else could guess.
- Enable two-factor authentication, meaning your account is accessed with a two-step process including a password and fingerprint or face scan.
- Install cybersecurity protection on your computer and phone.
- Monitor your transaction history for suspicious activity.
- Turn on online banking alerts so you’ll be notified with each transaction.
Citibank is a well known bank with a solid reputation. They offer competitive rates on their online savings account!
If you travel often and want access to your bank account anywhere with little to no ATM fees then consider checking out Citibank’s offerings.
However, if you prefer lower balance requirements that earn high interest rates then you might want to look elsewhere.
Learn more about Citibank Bank and keep up with the latest Citibank Bank Promotions.
To get you started, we have a list of the best bank promotions and you can also read bank reviews to find which bank offers the services you need!
Leave a Reply