Citi has many branches and ATMs throughout the U.S.! They offer credit cards and banking services, but their service fees and balance requirements are on the high side. To find out if Citi is right for you, continue reading this review below.
Citi makes banking simple, with benefits and services to meet your needs! Keep reading to find out if Citi is the right bank for you or if the services they offer are good for you!
Table of Contents
Citi Checking & Savings Services
Citi works slightly different than most banks. Instead of an individual checking or savings account, you can get a package with both.
More importantly, you’ll need regular direct deposits and high balances, in order to keep most of the money you deposit.
If you don’t, you may end up paying high fees!
These packages are offered in tiers. Down below are the following packages:
For consumers who don’t write checks, you can get this basic package! You get a checking account, but it doesn’t come with paper checks!
You can use Citi’s online banking platform to pay your bills and manage you finances.
There’s no overdraft fee for this account since Citi doesn’t allow transactions that exceed your balance.
Keep in mind that you do have to commit to one direct deposit or one qualifying bill payment to waive the monthly fees. If not you have to have at least $1,500 in your combined accounts to waive the fee.
If you can’t keep a balance higher than $1,500 in your account, but you want access to paper checks, this account is a good choice for you.
With Basic Banking, you can write an unlimited number of checks, use the online banking services and Citi or partner ATMs.
Additionally, if you are 62 years old or older, you monthly fee is automatically waived and you also won’t pay any non-Citi ATM fees if you are over the age of 62.
You can use the Citi Account Package, if you keep at least a minimum of $10,000 in your checking, savings, retirement, or investment accounts!
Because of the larger balance, you won’t pay any non-Citi ATM fees, you may earn interest on your checking account balance, not just savings, and you also get your first order of checks free of charge!
If both of your accounts have the total balance of $50,000, the Priority Package offers financial advice over the phone from a Citi Financial Advisor.
With this account, you also get preferred rates on deposit products, and waived fees in addition to the standard benefits of online banking and use of Citi ATMs worldwide.
If you can maintain a monthly balance of $200,000 in your combined Citi accounts, this package offers all of the benefits of the above packages plus a dedicated financial services team, around the clock customer support, waived or reduced fees, and preferred pricing/rates on Citi deposit products.
Compare Checking Accounts
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 3.30% APY as of 12/22/22 on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• 24/7 Account Access
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn up to 1.00% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB323 by 03/15/2023
• Earn high interest rate of 3.30% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
• See advertiser website for full details
To get your $150 or $200 Bonus: What to do: Apply for your first Discover Online Savings Account, online, in the Discover App or by phone. Enter Offer Code HMB323 when applying. Deposit into your account a total of at least $15,000 to earn a $150 Bonus or deposit a total of at least $25,000 to earn a $200 Bonus. Deposit must be posted to account within 30 days of account open date. Maximum bonus eligibility is $200.
What to know: Offer not valid for existing or prior Discover savings customers or existing or prior customers with savings accounts that are co-branded, or affinity accounts provided by Discover. Eligibility is based on primary account owner. Account must be open when bonus is credited. Bonus will be credited to the account within 60 days of the account qualifying for the bonus. Bonus is interest and subject to reporting on Form 1099-INT. Offer ends 3/15/2023, 11:59 PM ET. Offer may be modified or withdrawn without notice.
Compare Money Market Accounts
• Earn 0.25% APY with the Axos Bank High Yield Money Market
• FDIC Insured
• Check writing privileges
• No monthly maintenance fees
• No minimum balance requirements
• Debit card transactions
• Minimum Balance Required to Open the Account: $ 1000.00
• Get started and open a Discover Money Market Account in 3 easy steps.
• Available nationwide online
• Earn high yields with flexible access to your cash.
• Earn 3.25% APY balances $100,000 and over
• Earn 3.20% APY balances under $100,000
• Open with as little as $2,500.
• No hidden fees. No surprises.
• Easy cash access via debit or check, or via ATM at over 60,000 no-fee ATMs
With the CIT Bank Money Market Account, you can earn a competitive interest rate and access your money easily.
• Earn 1.55% APY on your funds
• One of the nation's top rates — several times the national average.
• Get up to 6 digital transfers/withdrawals per statement cycle
• Save smart and get more for your money
• Higher rates than traditional banks
• Get 24/7 Account Access
• Secure banking features
• Open with as little as $100
• FDIC insured
CD Account Options
Down below are how you can earn a higher interest rate by obtaining a CD account with Citi.
Citi offers a variety of CD options that range from 3 months to 5 years. There is also an option to automatically renew upon maturity date.
You can acquire a Citi IRA for no monthly fee if they are FDIC insured.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available online nationwide
• Earn up to 4.65% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the CIT Bank No-Penalty 11-Month CD:
• Earn 4.10% APY on your funds with just a $1,000 minimum deposit.
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
• Available nationwide online, Discover offers CDs with some of the highest & most competitive rates! with select terms as short as 3 months up to 120 months
• Rates ranging from 1.50% APY up to 4.40% APY.
• Opening a Discover Bank Certificate of Deposit is extremely quick and easy.
• Funds on deposit are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.
• Start today with a minimum deposit of $2,500!
• Get started and open a Discover CD in 3 easy steps.
Reasons to Bank with Citi
- There are 2,400 ATMs within the Citi branches in the U.S. They have a large network of ATMs that you can use free of charge.
- Citi has more than 1,800 branches outside of the United States! You just have to located a MoneyPass ATM. But please note that foreign exchange fees may apply to any withdrawals made overseas.
- You can pay your bills online through your checking account! You can set up online bill pay right through your Citi account, if you are tired of mailing paper checks!
- As long as you have the Citi app, you can make mobile deposits! All you need to do is take a picture of the front/back of the check and follow the on screen prompts.
- If you need an account for Direct Deposit of your paycheck the Citi checking account maybe a good choice for you!
- You can earn Citi Thank You Reward Points! It depends on what type of account package and banking you will do! You can then combine those points with any Citi Thank You Points earned with your credit cards to earn rewards faster!
- The online Citi platform is user friendly! Whether you need to transfer funds, pay a bill, check balances, or review your spending, their only platform is easy to navigate
- They offer a variety of CD options with terms ranging between three months to five years. They also offer automatic renewal at maturity and CD laddering to give you access to your funds while allowing interest to grow.
- You can open a Citi IRA with either a money market account or a CD. There is no monthly fee for either and both are FDIC insured.
Reasons Not To Bank with Citi
- You can’t open just a checking or a savings account. You have to open a package, which includes both. Additionally, you must satisfy the average monthly balance requirements in order to have the monthly service fee waived.
- The rates on their savings and CDs are on the low side, if you compare to other national banks.
- Citi charges $10 for every transfer they have to make on your behalf to cover an overdraft.
Citi Routing Number
Each state that Citi is located in has its own routing number. Use the routing number on the lower left-hand side of your checks when routing money to your account either via Direct Deposit or from any other type of transfer.
Contact Customer Service
You can call 1-800-374-9700; chat online by logging into your account and choosing the “chat” option; or visit a branch in person.
How Citi Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Bank of America: As one of the larger banks in the U.S. Many may choose BoA for the convenience of locations through out 35 states. However, BoA offers limited account options.
- Capital One 360: Capital One 360, you can bank fee-free with online and mobile checking that actually pays you back. Whether you’re looking for one of their 40,000 fee-free ATMs or a Capital One location–chances are they are right nearby.
Compare to Other Banks
- Citi vs Wells Fargo
- Citi vs Bank of America
- Citi vs US Bank
- Citi vs Chase
- HSBC Bank vs Citi
- TD Bank vs Citi
- Capital One vs Citi
If you are a Citi card holder or you like taking advantage of Citi’s Thank You Points then this is a good option!
Citi can also benefit those who travel or need access to a large ATM network.
Just make sure that you meet the minimum requirements for each account or you’ll end up paying hefty monthly fees!
Otherwise then this is the bank for you! So if you’re interested in banking with Citi, see what they have to offer through Citi Promotions!
And while you’re here on HMB, check our full list of Best Bank Promotions for more options!